• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Sell 30" Carlton bar w/ Oregon chain - 3/8 , 0.58 Ga. - Possible trade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a lightly used 30" / 3/8 / .058 ga Carlton bar (made in Germany.) I ran it with a 288xp. 1 matching Oregon chain (not sure which exact one, but looks to be full chisel, full comp) that is probably 75% still (will need to be filed.) Bar looks more used than it actually is. The silver doesn't hide much in the way of scratches like paint does.

The bar has seen less than 2 hrs of cutting time. Silver w/ black replaceable tip. As you can see in photos, there are some scratches, but there's hardly any wear on the rails. Tiny amount of sap near rails, but not much. Great bar, very strong, wears very well, and is not known to bend easily. Not sure if these are made anymore, at least not under this name.

Looking for $75 + actual shipping costs. I also may be open to trades for a new-ish/lightly used 28" / 3/8 / .050 ga bar that will fit the 288xp. I want to switch to .050 ga on both my saws so I can use chain from each on both should I need to and .058 ga is not helping me there. Would rather sell outright, though.

IMG_1071.jpg
IMG_1072.jpg
IMG_1074.jpg
IMG_1075.jpg
IMG_1076.jpg

IMG_1081.jpg

I sold a Carlton 30 inch .050 ,made in Germany bar to a logger friend. He used it on a ported 576at to cut a lot of large white oaks. He remarked that if he didn't keep the chain very tight it had a tendency to come off easily. We theorized that it might be the .050 gauge chain. Keep in mind that all sprocket tips are .063 gauge. I think that in long bars the larger gauge works better.

Thanks for the input Termite. I haven't ran long bars (28"+) enough to really know that, so I appreciate the advice. I'll do some research on the matter and see where I stand.

I have a 28" bar for my ported 044 already and some chain (.050 ga) and just thought it could be a nice size for the 288 to share chains at least. I've got a 24" b/c on it at the moment and it flat out rips. Almost cuts too fast for its own good. Got it pinched pretty good yesterday when I was bucking some big yellow poplar because I wasn't used to quite how fast it was zipping along! Would be nice to have a 28" for cutting big hardwood timber when I need it.

Pics coming soon...

Back