30+ Pine Trees (50+ years Old) Available

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
technodeb

technodeb

I may be in the wrong place, but I recently bought a home in central Ohio, and there are 30+ pine trees (spruce, I believe) lining the back of the property. They are 50+ years old and far too tall/large for my husband and I to remove ourselves. We just want them gone. Is anyone interested in them? We just want someone insured to remove them safely in exchange for all of the timber/wood. I apologize if I'm in the wrong place...don't know where to turn to find an interested party. Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks!

imagineero

imagineero

Addicted to ArboristSite
You're in the wrong place, but this ought to give you some idea why;

[video=youtube_share;iTgQHWQoatg]http://youtu.be/iTgQHWQoatg[/video]

Where I'm at, most pine logs are worth about $5/tonne. The time of a small tree company is worth about $200/hour. The mill will only take good logs, and only if they are limbed and bucked to length, and only if they have demand for them. They aren't intersted in 30 trees. Most loggers aren't either. Logging equipment is heavy and expensive to move. You need to have a few thousand trees before it starts getting worthwhile.

You may be able to get a small time milling guy to come take the logs away for free, but only if you have the trees dropped, limbed and bucked (or pay someone else to do it) and then generally it's pretty painful dealing with small time milling guys. They may want to mill it on your property and leave you with all the crap. Either way you're at least going to be left with all the brush, the tops and anything that isn't usable which is most of it.

Cheapest option? Pay someone to drop, limb and buck, invite all your neighbours over and have a big ass bonfire.

Welcome to Arboristsite.

Shaun

slowp
If you read the OPs post carefully, they are not PINE trees. They are SPRUCE trees.

Technodeb, one can't go by how old the trees are. What is the average diameter? Not circumference--diameter. How tall are they? How tall to a 5 inch top--or what the minimum diameter for a log at the mill would be? What is the distance to the mill or whatever kind of processing facility Ohio has?

I doubt if they are worth enough to log. We can't tell if you have enough for a load. We can't tell what it would take to get them out.

If you are serious, you should try to find a forester, or arborist.

We don't call Spruce trees--Pine trees. They are spruce. We don't call fir trees-- pine trees. They are fir. We call Ponderosa Pine, White Pine, Norway Pine, Scots Pine, Lodgepole pine, pine. Pines have long needles. Where I live, there are different prices for different species, so it is important to know what the tree is.

Grab a branch. If you say OUCH, it is most likely some kind of spruce. Spruce has sharp, stiff needles.

Firs have short, softer needles. They don't poke.

Pictures would help us armchair advise you. Armchair advice isn't very accurate. But we'd like to see pictures posted.