3120 vs. MS880

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we use ours for all of the nasty stump work (big willows et al) and it really is the tool to have. tons of power and an overall great saw. the manual oiler is nice too. if you really want it to rip, you can put on a 32".

From what I have seen around here most tree companies end up kickin' themselves for buying saws that big. There isn't much you can do with a 90cc saw. The problem is that it takes way too long for those huge saws to pay for themselves. I know of one company that just bought a 880 and his workers hate/fear it too much to use it. They'd rather run a 660 with a 36" bar. Just my observation. I personally wouldn't mind having a 3120 but I haven't had any trouble with my 90cc stump saw.

I have a new MS880 and man does it have some grunt with a big bar. I think it a great saw, the bigger saws are lower revving which makes them seem slower but they have more go with a big bar than smaller saws.

I would never use a 88 up the tree though, they are just too heavy. Its way more efficient to use a 660/395 with a bigger bar, compromise a bit of speed for a lot less effort.

I use 3/8 on bars <30" and .404 on bars bigger. Always full chisel chain.

I have never ever had a problem with 3/8 breaking or anything. It cuts faster and wastes less wood (if your worried about it).

Oh and i use a smaller sprocket on the smaller bar so the chain speed is faster, balance the grunt and chain speed and your mowing the wood!

It seems that, on the oiling topic, with the oiler full out there is enough oil for a short bar at higher chain speeds. And when i put a real long bar on with a big sprocket, there is again enough oil due to the lower chain speeds...

My concern with the .404 is not getting the full potential out of the saw. I am working with a friend right now and they run husky. His 3120 runs .063 /38 chain on a 42 inch bar. the saw really kicks ass. No struggle at all. I already have a 42" bar for sthil which runs .404. Do you think I would get better Performance if I ran .063 3/8 on a 880 or will the .404 make no differance.

Love my 3120 for milling. If I had to carry it all day though would go with a 395 or maybe husky's new 390

bookerdog said:
Love my 3120 for milling. If I had to carry it all day though would go with a 395 or maybe husky's new 390

Don't let Chopwood see that comment, he'll think you are a wimp. I don't use mine off the mill either. Too heavy for this bad back.

Mark

bad back

oldsaw said:
Don't let Chopwood see that comment, he'll think you are a wimp. I don't use mine off the mill either. Too heavy for this bad back.

Mark
you have one of those to? I broke mine when I was 17 there went the baseball career. The scouts quite looking

kkottemann said:
My concern with the .404 is not getting the full potential out of the saw. I am working with a friend right now and they run husky. His 3120 runs .063 /38 chain on a 42 inch bar. the saw really kicks ass. No struggle at all. I already have a 42" bar for sthil which runs .404. Do you think I would get better Performance if I ran .063 3/8 on a 880 or will the .404 make no differance.

Yea go for it mate, i think you would get better performance out of the 3/8. It makes sense, if your cutting less wood for the same job it should be faster.

Il run 3/8 as soon as the .404 is warn out, will make the saw lighter too.

Back