3120XP Gone WILD

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The WG-5 and WG-8 both show the impulse line on the pump cover. I know in the past that I have successfully opened the impulse passage to come through the intake flange on other carbs. Often the makings are already there and you just have to drill them out and block the original.

just use the cover off the old carb, it doesn't have a port.

just use the cover off the old carb, it doesn't have a port.

Exactly. Provided the carb body has the provisions to drill the impulse passage. All it takes is drilling at two angles. One into the flange of the carb, and the other to intersect with it from under the side of the carb. I wouldn't know until I had the carb in hand it I could do it.

That is entirely why I hate rev limited coils. I loose a huge tuning aid when I can't run a saw at WOT. RPMs in the wood is what makes a saw fast. As far as cutting performance, the rev limited coil only matters if it limits below what the saw turns in the wood. The 3120 is a prime example of that. I believe the current 3120 coil limits to something like 9,500, and this 3120 I have here is turning 11,200 in the wood.

11,200...holy smokes!

What is the mean piston speed at that RPM?

I would think about cutting the base to get that RPM down.

I suppose that's what happens when the original porter raised the exhaust and transfers so much. If I dog it in, it drops into the 10s. The saw runs and feels great. I'd hate to mess with it.

What happens if the pin bosses or skirt fail because they aren't designed to take those loads??

Remember, a work saw...

Understood. I had had a compromised P&C to start with. I'm pleased to see it running like it is. If I were starting with a new P&C, I would not have raised the exhaust at all. And I wouldn't have raised the transfers near as much as they have been. For that matter, I wouldn't have lowered the intake near as much either. Can you say "Butcher":)

Would you guys mind deleting your 3120 posts in this thread and copying them over into the 3120 Gone Wild thread. I think it's good conversation and would like it to be in the other thread for reference. Thanks. Keep the input coming.

As you requested Brad...

Did a little math for you...

At 11,200 RPM the 3120 is making the same mean piston speed as a 346 at 14,500 RPM, and the 346 won't be in the wood at that figure.

I hope you see what I'm getting at. There is no way that piston will survive long under those kinds of loads. As well, TreeCo said the saw would be used for stumping. That high exhaust port will not be ideal for conditions like that.

I would explore cutting the base to get the exhaust duration back to a reasonable number and to kill some of those revs. If that is not possible then a new top end may be needed. Not your fault, killed on a workbench other than yours.

That is what I would do if it were my saw.

The dam tree hungers are killing us with non adjustable carbs.... can they just keep eating grass and driving their priuses...

You sure that is an Oak? Sure looks like a sugar maple to me....looks like a true beast you have there, but please quit free-revving the piss out of it. That's just not right.:cry:

I'm pretty sure I remember Oak leaves on it in the Spring after it was dropped. But no, I'm not positive. I've got to check the tune somehow. I won't tune off of plug color alone, and I can't tune it in the cut without and adjustable carb.

I'm pretty sure I remember Oak leaves on it in the Spring after it was dropped. But no, I'm not positive. I've got to check the tune somehow. I won't tune off of plug color alone, and I can't tune it in the cut without and adjustable carb.

That's fine, just a pet peeve of mine seeing a saw free revving. Why don't you like plug color? Too much of a technicality? Plug color or timed cuts are about the only way to tune a saw that is rev-limited (I know this saw is not RL).

Otherwise, that saw is just mean. I hope you get it running rich because that thing is turning serious RPM in the cut. Gotta be a lot of heat like Tzed said.

That's fine, just a pet peeve of mine seeing a saw free revving. Why don't you like plug color? Too much of a technicality? Plug color or timed cuts are about the only way to tune a saw that is rev-limited (I know this saw is not RL).

Otherwise, that saw is just mean. I hope you get it running rich because that thing is turning serious RPM in the cut. Gotta be a lot of heat like Tzed said.

I wouldn't worry about the heat as much as I would worry about finding the intake side skirt in the bottom end.

If this saw had an adjustable H needle, I'd tune it in the cut with a quick rev to double check. I don't have that luxury. IMHO, plug color is way too subjective. It can be affect by fuel type, etc. If I were going by plug color alone, I would not have gone up in jet size after the last run. We're now going to order a WG-3 carb and see if it can be modified for a bolt on replacement, with no mods to the case.

My 084 turns close to the same RPMs and has had no trouble. Matter of fact it has 170-175 PSI compression with a popup piston. I've had it pulling a 9-pin 3/8 rim on a 50" bar buried in solid Oak. I don't thing you're going to generate much more heat than that.

BTW, I'm pretty sure 'Slingrs 880 is turning close to this many RPMs as well.

I may have missed some posts, but from what I"ve read you've drilled the main jet out huge and you are still turning 14k.

Something's up. Shouldn't be revving so high with the jet so large.

For a comparison, a stock husky NON epa turns a touch over 12k with a 1.16mm jet. You are dumping way more fuel in then that.

But I may be missing something here.

My 084 turns close to the same RPMs and has had no trouble. Matter of fact it has 170-175 PSI compression with a popup piston. I've had it pulling a 9-pin 3/8 rim on a 50" bar buried in solid Oak. I don't thing you're going to generate much more heat than that.

Seems to me the guys racing 3120's like the 084 rods in them........

Curious then, why do you think Husqvarna keeps dropping the rev limit on the 3120?

I may have missed some posts, but from what I"ve read you've drilled the main jet out huge and you are still turning 14k.

Something's up. Shouldn't be revving so high with the jet so large.

For a comparison, a stock husky NON epa turns a touch over 12k with a 1.16mm jet. You are dumping way more fuel in then that.

But I may be missing something here.

It's a whole new ballgame with a ported saw. .055 on the main jet is not out of line for a ported 3120. We don't port saws for them to turn factory RPMs, lol:)

Last edited:
It's a whole new ballgame with a ported saw. .055 on the main jet is not out of line for a ported 3120. We don't port saws for them to turn factory RPMs, lol:)

I agree, porting does amazing things. Exactly why I will go to my grave argueing the non rev coil vs the limited, same with a carb.

Saw looks good Brad.

Back