3120XP Gone WILD

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...that is quite a bit bigger on the jet...

I started with a 1.12 mm jet, which equals .044". I'm now at .058". That's a 73% increase in area! Any saw that can drink that much fuel has got to be making some serious power! It's cool to know that Troutfisher has gone close to that with 3120s he's done. So that confirms I'm not out of the ballpark. Otherwise I might be scratching my head too.

You brought a dead saw back to life. Owner will get many years out of it by my guess and really enjoy using it. I don't have a lot of time tinkering with the guts of the 3120, but I don't think they'll have any trouble with those RPM's.

As to why they keep putting limited coils on them, I think it is either EPA or idiot proofing. WOT on a saw for tuning is a needed thing and helps you set it up right. Trouble is there are plenty of "pros" that will overspeed anything with a motor. I remember when a rookie discovered that turning the H screw would make the trimmer go faster. I stopped him before he blew it up, he thought that the faster it ran the better.

Mr. HE:cool:

I started with a 1.12 mm jet, which equals .044". I'm now at .058". That's a 73% increase in area! Any saw that can drink that much fuel has got to be making some serious power! It's cool to know that Troutfisher has gone close to that with 3120s he's done. So that confirms I'm not out of the ballpark. Otherwise I might be scratching my head too.

Ya, I agree, obviously it's liking the fuel!! that's for sure. But like I said, I've never ported a 3120, so I can't really comment on what it needs!! I wouldn't worry about the naysayers, they've probably never worked over a 3120 either.

I thought I had read an earlier post of years where you said you had increased the area by more than 73 percent. I must have misread.

I agree that limited coil make getting the mixture ballpark harder. Esp the 9.6k limit, it's crazy. And my stock 3120s are happiest with a long bar buried between 9.5k and 10.3k, which is faster than the original setups allowed.

And my stock 3120s are happiest with a long bar buried between 9.5k and 10.3k, which is faster than the original setups allowed.

11,200 isn't way out of line with that. I say run this puppy and let it eat wood! A saw owner doesn't have a saw ported and not expect the RPMs to increase. Otherwise, what would be the point in doing. That is the whole point. More RPMs in the wood to cut wood faster.

11,200 isn't way out of line with that. I say run this puppy and let it eat wood! A saw owner doesn't have a saw ported and not expect the RPMs to increase. Otherwise, what would be the point in doing. That is the whole point. More RPMs in the wood to cut wood faster.

Well, it's hard to argue with a confident man. It seems odd though that in many of your former posts you say don't raise the exhaust port.

Is it ok to raise the exhaust port now?

Well, it's hard to argue with a confident man. It seems odd though that in many of your former posts you say don't raise the exhaust port.

Is it ok to raise the exhaust port now?

I haven't said anything to the contrary. I never once said raising the exhaust on this saw was ideal. But I do think it will be fine. I'm sure not going to toss it for a new one at this point. Also, just lowering the jug isn't going to help in and of itself. The squish is already where I want it. You'd have to bore out the squish band in the head as well. I'm not a machinist and don't really want to go there. Also, I don't want the intake any lower than it already is. I honestly think it'll be fine the way it is. The RPMs are on par with my 084 and 'Slingrs 880. That doesn't mean I don't value your input though. I appreciate all feedback I've been given.

Back to the comparison of the 346. My 346 turns 16,400. My 260 turns 17,400. Both properly tuned.

I would agree for a racing saw but not for a production saw. Just bearing in mind the cost of a high $ pro saw, the mod job $, a new adjustable carb $ and the risk of burning it up soon.

that's a high $ risk to gain a few seconds in the wood if you ask me.

Saw manufacterers do have a reason to keep those rpm's at a decent level, just my 02 cts.

and fixed H jets on carbs were already used in the '70's, so EPA has nothing to do with it. It was a security measure for protecting loggers that were trying to gain a few rpm's in the wood by setting it too lean.

Last edited:
I would suggest that the owner already made that decision when he had the saw ported when new. More RPMs is just part of a port job, and the reason for the port job. There are lots of ported saws out in production work. Nothing new there.

I would agree for a racing saw but not for a production saw. Just bearing in mind the cost of a high $ pro saw, the mod job $, a new adjustable carb $ and the risk of burning it up soon.

that's a high $ risk to gain a few seconds in the wood if you ask me.

Saw manufacterers do have a reason to keep those rpm's at a decent level, just my 02 cts.

and fixed H jets on carbs were already used in the '70's, so EPA has nothing to do with it. It was a security measure for protecting loggers that were trying to gain a few rpm's in the wood by setting it too lean.

Roland-

I have to disagree from the standpoint of having made my living behind a saw for many years. I've said in the past that a modded saw will get me 40 more trees on the ground in a day on a straight falling job. I was averaging $90-$100 per load at the time and it takes 80 trees to make a load. So naturally it doesn't take long for those 40 extra trees everyday to pay for the time spent on mods and extra 'go-fast' parts. As far as longevity is concerned, I was getting as long of life out of a modded saw than cutters next to me with stock saws. It had a lot to do with the fact that my chain was always razor sharp, I ran the best oil and gas available, and I was meticulous about maintenance.

Dan (Treeco) is in a professional setting all the time and will reap the benefits of a modded saw.

Roland-

I have to disagree from the standpoint of having made my living behind a saw for many years. I've said in the past that a modded saw will get me 40 more trees on the ground in a day on a straight falling job. I was averaging $90-$100 per load at the time and it takes 80 trees to make a load. So naturally it doesn't take long for those 40 extra trees everyday to pay for the time spent on mods and extra 'go-fast' parts. As far as longevity is concerned, I was getting as long of life out of a modded saw than cutters next to me with stock saws. It had a lot to do with the fact that my chain was always razor sharp, I ran the best oil and gas available, and I was meticulous about maintenance.

Dan (Treeco) is in a professional setting all the time and will reap the benefits of a modded saw.

Jacob,

I am no professional logger so I won't argue with you, but I doubt many people posting on this forum do take 80 trees down a day. I am a firm believer in a well maintained and tuned chainsaw to get a wood job done, and like you already indicated, you won't get anywhere without a sharp chain.

I'd rather invest my $ in a few new chain loops and learn to sharpen a chain decently, rather than spending much $ into hot rodding a saw for production, but that's only my opinion. I see many posters getting high about running modified saws, but the marketing hype that goes along with it does leave a strange taste. Our bestest friend Lakeside once said that the best mod to a saw is having a sharp chain, and I absolutely agree with that. I maybe old school, but having a loud, heavy fuel burner in my hands as a tool is not my idea of a modern working outfit.

Maybe I am just jealous I don't have a ported saw ... but then again, it would just be for fun or a race :cheers:

Last edited:
Jacob,

I am no professional logger so I won't argue with you, but I doubt many people posting on this forum do take 80 trees down a day. I am a firm believer in a well maintained and tuned chainsaw to get a wood job done, and like you already indicated, you won't get anywhere without a sharp chain.

I'd rather invest my $ in a few new chain loops and learn to sharpen a chain decently, rather than spending much $ into hot rodding a saw for production, but that's only my opinion. I see many posters getting high about running modified saws, but the marketing hype that goes along with it does leave a strange taste. Our bestest friend Lakeside once said that the best mod to a saw is having a sharp chain, and I absolute agree with that. I maybe old school, but having a loud, heavy fuel burner in my hands as a tool is not my idea of a modern working outfit.

Maybe I am just jealous I don't have a ported saw ... but then again, it would just be for fun or a race :cheers:

Roland,

Perhaps the best mod is a sharp chain. Then, I guess porting would be the next best mod. I think most here know the value of a sharp chain.

Ported saws .......... :cheers: ..... come on in ....... the water's warm and there's room for you.

ole joat

my point is : does everyone need a bike like this...:hmm3grin2orange:

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid213.photobucket.com/albums/cc86/belgian_pics/other/Mijnen_nieuwen_fiets.flv">

Jacob,

I'd rather invest my $ in a few new chain loops and learn to sharpen a chain decently, rather than spending much $ into hot rodding a saw for production, but that's only my opinion. I see many posters getting high about running modified saws, but the marketing hype that goes along with it does leave a strange taste. Our bestest friend Lakeside once said that the best mod to a saw is having a sharp chain, and I absolute agree with that. I maybe old school, but having a loud, heavy fuel burner in my hands as a tool is not my idea of a modern working outfit.

I agree with ya Roland on the sharp chain being the best mod. I still have yet to master the filing of a razor sharp chain. Mine cut good, but I have used filed chains done by other people and they are a lot better. Porting is a powerful tool, such as JJ case, but most just have it done for fun and bragging rights. We all want that saw that just puts others to shame and a big smile on our face. How many videos have you seen on here and other places of ported saws where the chain just sucks? Almost every week it seems. So you may be old school Roland, but your argument still has weight and is warranted.:cheers:

If there's beer then I might really be tempted....:cheers:

You get a ported saw and come by for a visit and your choice of local micro-brews is on me.:cheers:

We'll find a place with a big fireplace and kick back after a day of running ported saws in the wind and the rain.

Mr. HE:cool:

Back