32:1 mix for our older saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder why castrol advertise their 2t activ as FD but it’s truly rated as FC. You’d think they could quite easily get that improved rating. Though I suppose they have kept that rating for their tts / power 1?

Edit: they also call it mineral, when it’s actually semi synthetic.

View attachment 1089604
Power 1 is too rich for my taste , described as " Power1 RS 2T @ $73 a litre " on Amazon .ca .

I wonder why castrol advertise their 2t activ as FD but it’s truly rated as FC. You’d think they could quite easily get that improved rating. Though I suppose they have kept that rating for their tts / power 1?

Edit: they also call it mineral, when it’s actually semi synthetic.

View attachment 1089604
All fc/fd are partially synthetic.

Does PIB count as "mineral"?

Edit: I have edited post above!
No, it's a synthetic base oil.
As for you comment on GTL oils. The term synthetic use to mean something years ago. Today even mineral oils are so processed and their quality is so high that it's nearly meaningless.
Esters for instance when used in two cycle oils are 70's tech. The new PIB/mineral oil blends are cleaner and have just as good antiwear properties. Yamaha recognized this in the 80's and Yamalube 2R has been a PIB/mineral oil blend ever since.

Its cheaper in the long run you fill your tank up with 87 octane then 93 and see how much longer it will run on 93 plum empty tank you will use a whole lot more 87 than 93 I use to fo it on my z28 and would get 120 more miles out of a tank of gas I know that is a car just saying your saw you can run what ever you like.
I burn 87 because it is ethanol free. regular pump gas 87 or 93 is 15% ethanol here
My truck on 87 or 93 E15 = 656 miles per tank
My truck on 87 E0 = 700 miles per tank.
It has a 35 gallon tank.

many cars truck gas engines today are 10 and even 11.5 compression ratio look at some of the new engine specs!
That's because they run a variation of the Atkinson cycle, not Otto, due to better fuel economy at low loads. A chainsaw has no valves, so it can't keep the intake open during the compression stroke to lower the compression, an Atkinson cycle engine can.

I burn 87 because it is ethanol free. regular pump gas 87 or 93 is 15% ethanol here
My truck on 87 or 93 E15 = 656 miles per tank
My truck on 87 E0 = 700 miles per tank.
It has a 35 gallon tank.
That's negligible and not worth the extra cost of the e-free fuel. Like 7%better economy for what 40%more cost. Doesn't even make sense.

I dont know how high are oil prices in Greece...

But here 600-700kms higher we can get quality FD 100%syn/ester oil for as low as 8-12euros/L

Elf Moto 2Tech is around 8-9euros....Shell Advance ultra 2t is around 12-13euros....

Summa sumnarum.....32:1 is the way to go (doesnt brake the bank)

So ,using a 32:1 ratio (of 95 ethanol free and a JASO-FD oil
,say Castrol Power 1 Racing ) on
a modern strato saw ,will be an overkill regarding oil content or no ?
A simple FC or FD is all that's required along with E free fuel or at least E15 with fuel conditioner if you store you gas for more than 3 weeks . Lots of oils in North America for $ 8- 12 dollars that fit that criteria . If you want extra protection try Dominator or Red Armor & sleep well !

A liter of Castrol Power 1 Racing
costs 12€ here.
I think you refer to another oil .
RS seems to be a 4T oil.
Castrol 2T Active is more than sufficient for your needs . P.S. Castrol Power 1 RS 2T is a premium synthetic 2 Cycle oil . Not available in my area locally . However very pricy online !

I dont know how high are oil prices in Greece...

But here 600-700kms higher we can get quality FD 100%syn/ester oil for as low as 8-12euros/L

Elf Moto 2Tech is around 8-9euros....Shell Advance ultra 2t is around 12-13euros....

Summa sumnarum.....32:1 is the way to go (doesnt brake the bank)
Same prices here.

Latest posts

Back