3210xp....3/8 058 or 404

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kf_tree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
what are the pro's and cons of running each chain on a 3120. the saw will be used with a 42in bar and 36in. i already have a spare 36in 3/8 058 bar and a 100 ft roll of 3/8 058 chain so i'm leaning that route.

Well, around here, .404 is pretty much unheard of, so 3/8 would be the way to go. I guess if you've got a 100 foot reel of 3/8 .058 ga chain and a 36" bar in the same setup, go with that.

we run 3/8 050 on eveything except a 395 i got from dan he sent it with an 058 bar so thats just the way i've been running it.

my boss just bought 6 rolls of chain from a hardware store, they bought it to make loops for a construction company but they lost the contract so we got the 6 rolls for 1000.00 they threw in a breaker and spinner as part of the deal. it was all 050 but one roll of 058. i'm the only one that runs 058 so i don't have to worry about anyone grabbing chains for my big saw. :)

any thoughts on which chain holds up better when hitting nails etc. the lower 6 feet of tree's in an urban area are often full of hardware.

When I worked out in Mass and the other counties. We would use the old chain on sections of trees were we would expect metal to be. Leave the rackers high and file an almost flat edge. and carrie 3-4 extra chains....

my boss has a rack in the shop labeled roots>>>>>> the same bars and chains have hung there for about 3 years now. today i threw about 5 bars on the work bench and left a note........garbage/ ????/ trash/ crap/ etc......i'll bet you dollars to donuts they'll be hanging up again next week. :)

Latest posts

Back