.325 narrow kerf on 50cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Husqvarna 346 ne. I run the carlton narrow kerf chain on it. I personaly like this chain. This stuff stays sharp real well. I like to throw the Oregon nk chain in the garbage. This type of chain dont cut the fastest but works well for me as a firewood cutter.

I am sure that you would like Oregon LP(X) and Stihl RSC even better on that saw, unless your wood is "dirty", and require a semi-chisel! :)

Again, LOW PROFILE (lower height cutter) is not the same as NARROW KERF (narrower cutter). 3/8" Low Profile chain will put just as much saw dust on the ground as standard 3/8" chain ('PICCO' is just STIHL's name for Low Profile chain) but will take longer to do it.

Narrow Kerf chain will put less saw dust on the ground because it cuts a narrower slot.

If you change to either one of these chains, you may have to change your sprocket and bar as well.

Philbert
You are right, except that it hopefully is chips and not dust......:D:rockn:

The one saw I have with .325 nk would probley cut better if it was filed instead of ground but since I dont use it that much I have'nt bothered to get any files and just use the grinder.
I know all my 3/8 chains cut better filed.

Update on .325 NK on Makita 520 DCS

I cut with the WP 20NK again today. After 2 break-in adjustments,
I like it. I also ordered a loop of 95VP(tried it first) when I decided to make the
switch from 3/8 to .325 for cutting smaller wood.

when i got the first 945 oly--it had 325 on it. thougth great--junk. not so,carlton chisel. sharpened it,tuned the saw--holy smackers!!!!! beats lp chain a mile!!! and cuts like hot butter---for 45 cc's, what a screamer. should have brought it to the gtg at reinbeck...........one of my favorite saws to run. tho i have had a few coil problems.....................

325 NK on Husky 262xp ported, 20" NK bar-- wow!!

Ive been using Bailey's (Carlton I believe) chisel 325 NK for several years now on 026 and Husky 51 with great results in Ponderosa and Doug Fir. I fell and buck and use it around the sawmill, any place a 20" bar gets the job done. No heavy saws for me thanks. Terrain is rough and rocky and steep, a smaller, light saw is a big asset. Dang it really rips too!!

30" White Fir needed ripped, too big for the mill, so I put the 20 bar on 262xp that has mild porting and muffler mods.... Wow, such a narrow cut and I really didnt work hard getting the job done. I would like to try the Oregon ripping chain NK 325 and see how it does. Drawback is of course nothing bigger than 20" available for NK that I am aware of..

Since then the 262 saw with the NK is only saw I use, untill I need a bigger bar-----and I come home in better shape. I cant speak to using NK in harder wood, but in soft stuff, have at it!!! No damaged or broken chains so far.

I've got 16" and 18" Arborpro set ups from Baileys that I run on a pp295 and a husky 51. Main reason? Have you seen the price? We po' folk like the nk combos!

I run the NK set up on a Husky 353. I works very nice. The dealer sold me a standard .325 when I picked up the saw. I did not know at that time about NK. I tried the standard .325 and complained that the saw slowed down. I went to buy a file and jig and found out that I needed the NK. Went back to the NK and all is good again. I've tried Bailey's NK and I don't like it as much as the H-30. The H-30 cuts faster and is smoother. Can't beat the prices at baily's though.
ZG

One advantage of .325 over 3/8 lp (besides it come in chisel) is that you can get .325 sprocket noses for most bars like Powermatches. With 3/8 lp you have to use a bar that was already made for it. Usually short and thin.

Slightly different subject, but tonight I was once again pondering the 3/8 vs 3/8 lo pro thing. Like comparing how each one fit onto the drive sprocket of the other's size. 3/8 lp is at least a close fit to a regular 3/8 sprocket, while 3/8 regular doesn't fit a 3/8 lp sprocket well at all. Old news.....

But I dug out a 3/8 regular bar nose sprocket that I recently removed from a powermatchplus bar and compared the way the lp and regular fit on the nose sprocket. It was interesting, because since the sprocket was out of the nose I could really see the difference more clearly.

I already have several times compared how the lp rode high on a regular 3/8 sprocket nose, but with the sprocket out of the bar I could see that a regular 3/8 chain meshes pretty completely with the right sprocket. The drive tangs actually contact the bottom of the sprocket tooth while being supported by the tips of the sprocket as well.

With the nose sprocket out of the bar, one can easily see that the 3/8 lo pro chain rides high on a regular 3/8 nose sprocket, but now I could see how the tangs don't fit into the sprocket lower, they just float around while the chain is being held kind of poorly by the nose sprocket tips. That's why you shouldn't run 3/8 lp chain on a regular 3/8 nose sprocket - it doesn't actually fit the lower part of the sprocket.

Back