.325 versus .375 pitch chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.325 9-pin is one of the recommended sizes for the MS361 (in the user manual etc), and probably the fastest one with short bars and small wood.
The others are 7- and 8-pin 3/8".

Outer diameter/gearing is very close to the same as 8-pin 3/8".

Is it possible to run an 18" .325 on the 361, then switch over to 3/8" on the 25" ?

Is it possible to run an 18" .325 on the 361, then switch over to 3/8" on the 25" ?

Probably possible, likely not optimal. Make sure the rim and bar match up.

I run a 7t - 3/8 on a muffler modded 026 with an 18" bar.

Even in Honey Locust, it does a fine job.

don't like too many chain sizes!
if one has a number of saws ... much easier to support with less chain sizes.

if I had to pick one size chain to go with it'd be 3/8 .063 which allows bars over 32in. 3/8 .050 only goes up to 32, but is more common on smaller bars.

I'd like to run 3/8 on my 026 instead of the .325 it's currently wearing.
MS200T uses a pico chain... nothing you can do about that.

I'd be running 3/8 on my 084 too, except I ran into a load of .404 .63 chain.

Last edited:
Here we go!!!!
Gonna have to agree with Knight on this one--- properly designed 325 chain cutting a more narrow kerf has got to use less energy-- simple phyisics guys--
Having said that, you still need the right chain speed for what you are cutting.
Its pretty simple these days on most saws to slip on the right rim or experiment a litttle till you learn what works best in wood you are cutting...

My 026 with 325 NK -- (thats Narrow Kerf--- not all 325s are Narrow!!)
cuts timed in softwood much better than 3/8 chain.... chisel chain on both.

In my experiance if the saw will pull 3/8 (.375) then I'd use it. It cuts faster by quite a bit given same chain speed. No doubt .325 was designed too be easier too pull for smaller saws at higher rpm.
So that said, in Wild Knights example (if you wanted too bother changing drives all time) you'd do the opposite. You'd run 3/8 on the 18" and .325 on the 25" so that the saw might pull it (easier). I'd never use a 25" bar on that small a saw though unless it was in softwood running full skip.

Here we go!!!!
Gonna have to agree with Knight on this one--- properly designed 325 chain cutting a more narrow kerf has got to use less energy-- simple phyisics guys--
Having said that, you still need the right chain speed for what you are cutting.
Its pretty simple these days on most saws to slip on the right rim or experiment a litttle till you learn what works best in wood you are cutting...

My 026 with 325 NK -- (thats Narrow Kerf--- not all 325s are Narrow!!)
cuts timed in softwood much better than 3/8 chain.... chisel chain on both.

Same here, on my Rancher 55 325 is way faster in decent size hardwood. I think it's more to do with chain speed than the kerf as 3/8 is only 15 thousands wider than 325 but the 325 turns slower giveing way more torque applyed to the chain. I'm sure the little smaller kerf helps some but no where near as much as the difference in cutting speeds. Steve

a friend of mine that i cut with has a 361 with a 16" .325 chain and bar and he loves it, it is super fast.:chainsaw:

OK chain experts; maybe someone can explain this to me in simple terms.

Why does STIHL recommend, say for the MS260 either:

3/8 pitch with a 0.050 gauge, or
3.25 pitch with a 0.063 gauge chain?

Why wouldn't the larger pitch chain have the heavier gauge drive links and vice-versa?
Are the tie straps also beefier on 0.063 chain than on 0.050?

They do something similar with their recommendations for other saws as well. I assume that there is some performance or engineering reason, but I am just a humble, confused consumer, trying to understand.

Thanks in advance.

Philbert

Lots of confusion on chain

325x063 -- Bar is prob a hair lighter, but doesnt wear as well as rails are thinner!! To be truthfull I never did see a use for that gauge!! Might as well go with 3/8x050 and get a good long lasting bar.

Now give me a 325x050 gauge in a narrow kerf and use it on a 50cc range saw( that is really about max for the NK chain)-- its lighter, cuts more narrow than the 325x063-----Wont likely stand up to the abuse of a powerful saw....Which is backed up by fact that 20" is max size that I have seen for a NK 325 bar--could be somebody makes a bigger one.......

You guys all talk about 325 as if they were ALL THE SAME!! THEY ARE NOT
Hopefully that will stir things up a bit ....

I am in need of a new chain for a 55 rancher. It has a 18in .325 58gauge bar on it. I am looking to put a non-safety chain back on it that is fast any ideas.......................................One more ? if i changed it over to 3/8 do I have to change spocket rim and bar...is there any advan. with a 3/8 on this small saw?

Maybe some useless information, but if all things were equal a saw running an 8 pin and 12500 rpm's with .325 will run 61.56 mph. Same saw will run 71.02 mph with .375 pitch or 15 percent faster.
.404 and the saw will run 76.52 mph.

Back