338XPT leaking fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATH

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have an older 338xpt that just keeps running like a top. The last few time I filled it it has leaked fuel. I opened it up expecting to find a cracked line somewhere...but not so. It is leaking out of this hole - I assume it is a vent to getbair into the tank. It is below the drive sprocket. It only seems to leak when the cap is open (assuming when there is air flow into the tank), but it pours out pretty good. How do I stop this? There is a fuel line inside the tank that goes to this hole, but it looks to be in tact...and how would I replace it anyhow??? Thanks!
IMG_20151220_145811_059.jpg

Looking at parts diagrams:
Do 501629801 and 503600401 go in there similar the the plug and check valve above the oil fill cap? The diagram (here) shows that on the back side...but it looks up higher on that diagram. Can't find a diagram showing the the side of the saw I need.

I think you have the correct 2 part #s. And I think they show them higher on IPL just to fit parts on the page. I see the 0401 filter for sale but not the 9801 valve. A duckbill valve may work if the correct diameter. Poulan has them in fuel caps.

i take a screw and pull the cap out and put it back in, take a little drop of super glue and fill in the hole sprinkle some baking soda on the super glue. gets hard as jb weld. a old tech showed me that. it will also fix leaking gas tanks i have done it 100's of times

Thanks guys! Just to clarify about the baking soda/super glue: Are you saying that is what you use to stick the new vent valve in there or are you saying plug the hole with that? Is it porous? Seems that if I plug the hole the tank can't 'breathe'...right?

Looks like the vent valve is MIA to me?? I'd go with new everything (lines, filter, vent valve) since you have it apart and parts won't be much. Definitely don't block that hole off.

You just want to block the whole where u put the screw to pull cap. New parts are always the wayto go

To me it looks like the valve assembly has already went MIA.

But here is what little instructions that are in the service manual on replacement.

1. Inset a screwdriver in the valve, rock and dismantle the valve.
2. Press in a new valve using the handle of a screwdriver.

Since I haven't seen one these saws I have no idea which valve assembly goes in there as the don't clearly show which one; just be aware there were at least a couple different versions used based the different mount tank vent positions I have seen in the IPLs.

Parts ordered ..
Hopefully the right ones! I think those have to be it. There is not much room for that valve to fall out so I am not sure how it got out. Probably worked its way out over time?

Maybe valve got loose and fell out. I find it curious that Husky puts the fuel tank vent/valve at the bottom of the tank. Most bigger Huskys have it near the top - if it does fail, you spill fuel only if very full and saw is oriented clutch side down.

I could not figure out where in the tank the gas was going out but it leaked with clutch side down and when the bar was raised higher. My guess is the placement may have to do with the saw being designed to hang off of a harness??? If the vent was in front of the clutch it would habe more potential toleak in that position. As it is, the vent hole is the highest part of the fuel system when the saw is hanging by the back.

Finally fixed... Updating in case anybody happens across this with a search:

Husqvarna changed it so it is now one part...which is fine. Then they reused the part number for something different. Makes sense...they use 9 digit numbers so they only have a billion numbers before they run out.

501629801 is not the part shown in the service/parts diagram it is a smaller version of the filter plug (503600401) and doesn't fit anywhere. The filter plug would fit if that is all you need.

Kudos to Jacks Small Engines for tracking this down and sending me the correct part and no extra charge. Correct part number is 537359501

Pic with all 3 parts (correct one is on left):
IMG_20160116_200447_742.jpg

Latest posts

Back