33cc Homelite. Looks like a deere!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knotdodger

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well, I am going to take out my little homelite and do some cutting. Into about 30 4 to 5 inch birch trees today.. Just bought a new vx low profile chain for it. I think the vx will suit it good. I cant take my 361 out , because
I just dropped it off with Dave Neiger!!!!:cheers: :lifter:

I have a little ranger bought a while back for one of my kids...and then it got a new life when we started this enormous fencing project where we are cutting Honey Locust for fencing materials....tons of it litterally.

So out of my collection, two saws are/have been the primary work horses for this.

My old Homie XL-903 (with occasional backup from my Husky 365 from time to time when I don't have time to sharpen a chain and trees need to fall!).

AND for limbing and clean up...that little 33cc Ranger. We've already burned through two chains...the thing is, it starts easy and is light. My bride also has countless hours now with it helping with clean up.

SO I would like to consider options to:
1) Better Bar & chain than the stock bar and low pro chains I have been using.
2) Muffler Mod to get a little more umph to PULL a more agressive chain.

(For kicks I wouldn't mind taking one and having a guru make it really run ...maybe if I find another one for the same $30 dollars I spent on this one on Ebay!)

Any Idea's?

Here's my homelite-its a 20 powerstroke without a chainbrake. Is this saw the same as yours? I bought it new at a farm supply store- the bar and chain were missing so I got one at Lowe's. I drilled some holes in the muffler and that seemed to help a lot. I may have it leaned out too much it seems like it screams pretty good.

Last edited:
Well, I am going to take out my little homelite and do some cutting. Into about 30 4 to 5 inch birch trees today.. Just bought a new vx low profile chain for it. I think the vx will suit it good. I cant take my 361 out , because
I just dropped it off with Dave Neiger!!!!:cheers: :lifter:

I bet you can't wait to get it back :rock:

Mine is a 3816 homelite. But says john deere all over it. Looks the same as yours but green. I really like the oregon vx chain.

And yes, I can't wait to get my Stihl back. Shewwww. I never did do much cutting this weekend with the little guy. Just isn't the same. If I had the 361 in the truck, I probably wouldnt use it on the 4 or 5 inch stuff. But I would still be cutting.:clap: I think I may get an 18in bar and keep the 7 pin sprocket. Incase I want the 20in back on once in a while.. What do ya think.:hmm3grin2orange:

One of the ground hands we just hired is a Stihl mechanic. He worked at a dearlership here in central Michigan.. Anyway he just called me and said he had an 18in es bar and 4 rs chains (brand new) for 45 dollars. And a 25 in bar es also and four new chains for about the same price.. :D hehe. Don't need the 25in too big for my saw. Will gladly take the 18in though.. If someone else wants the 25in I would pick it up and send it for his price plus shipping.. Just a thought.

Latest posts

Back