346 vs 350

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 350 was my first saw I bought when I was in high school. I used it for 5 years and 3 as my only saw. I sold it and the guy I sold it to really liked it and is still using it. It was around 2000 when I got it. I will have to say I was disappointed in the 346 myself.

I had a 350 and liked it better than my 026. I was just trying to find out how much better the 346 is over the 350, as in how its made and performance.
Thanks for all the info.

I would much rather have the magnesium case over the plastic, but i dont know if it would justify the money difference if buying a new one.
I think i will just stick with using 70 and 80 cc saws for everything.

It's a short list if you talk similarities.

+1. On one hand, they are very similiar. On the other, there is very little similiar about them. They are both the same size physically, with similiar displacement. They will both accept the same piston and cylinder. After that, very little is the same. Where the 346 is a full blown pro saw with a vertically split magnesium case, the 350 is a plastic chassis homeowner saw. I would call it one of the best homeowner saws out there though.

Gotta say I'm shocked at the love the 350 is getting! As Brad said, and I whole heartily agree, it's the best homeowner saw made!
I'm also amazed to see so many unhappy with the 346, it's a fine saw, but I for one don't think it's worthy of the hype it gets here on AS.

In comparing the two saws on just the homeowner - pro saw virtues . . .

Both saws have a plastic rear handle/gas tank and the part that runs underneath for the anti-vibe mounting points.

The plastic body weighs less on the 350

The plastic under the muffler will melt on the 350 if the muffler gets loose and leaks

Early 350's were bad for the muffler coming loose and melting a hole in the oil tank before you knew there was a problem

Early 350's had auto decompression which gave trouble?

The 350 was changed over the years from 44mm to 45mm bore.

Here is what I have learned after countless hours of reading on this site; Don't buy a saw till you try it out and make your own judgement. Living here in east, TN I am kinda spoiled to have someone that puts on gtg's regularly (Your awesome Terry) and can try out pretty much anything I would ever use or hope to use one day. Wished I could have went to the AK,MO gtg, but my time will come for that too.

Gotta say I'm shocked at the love the 350 is getting! As Brad said, and I whole heartily agree, it's the best homeowner saw made!
I'm also amazed to see so many unhappy with the 346, it's a fine saw, but I for one don't think it's worthy of the hype it gets here on AS.

LOL It is very funny to me to!I just don't see the money difference in the 2? I have both I like both.But the 346 don't live up to the hype to me either?

I have a 350 because I got it for $120

attachment.php

346 - $280 = 350

couldn't resist HAHAHA.

don't have a dog in the pit though. but just like math!

There's nothing wrong with the 346xp IMO. Its just what you expect out of a saw. If your wanting a small saw with big torque, its probably not the saw for you. I think they have a narrow power band, but as long as you keep it in the ''sweet'' spot with a sharp chain, you'll go places. Try leaning on it much and your pizzing in the wind. JMO.

I don't use mine much, but its not going anywhere..... :smile2:

:cheers:

I ran a early edition 346xp the other day that had been massaged a little. It had a 357 carb and the the muffler had a big hole in the front at the center of the brace. It was pretty much full hilt square chain and all except it didn't have a tuned pipe.

All I can say is that it was one heck of a biscuit cutter and there is no way that my 350 would run like that in spite of it being 52cc.

I don't need a saw that hot for limbing? A regular 346XP would be good enough.

math aside....

owning a 340e.... and finding out on this site, that it is basically a homeowner saw which i spent to much money on new in the first place, .... would love a 346 if the price was right.

having good luck with 340e it is an understatement for the same crankcase saw as 350 w/10 less cc's.

but would spend $120 for a good 350 anyday, before spending $280 more for the saw i really want.

I ran a early edition 346xp the other day that had been massaged a little. It had a 357 carb and the the muffler had a big hole in the front at the center of the brace. It was pretty much full hilt square chain and all except it didn't have a tuned pipe.

All I can say is that it was one heck of a biscuit cutter and there is no way that my 350 would run like that in spite of it being 52cc.

I don't need a saw that hot for limbing? A regular 346XP would be good enough.
I'm pretty sure i know whose saw your talking about.;)

So what is a used 350 in good shape worth? I found one today in decent shape for 200. Is that in line?

It'd have to be slick for me to give 2 for it. It totally depends on the buyer cause the one I bought for $150 I sold for $215. I would pay $200 to get that one back but I knew it's history

I'm pretty sure i know whose saw your talking about.;)

I'm sure you've seen it at a regional GTG as it is close by my house. He also has a Redmax that is almost as fast. We had a mini GTG back behind his house a couple weeks ago and ran several different saws.

Latest posts

Back