346XP NE+16" Windsor+3/8 LGX=small saw bliss!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodshed

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
This is not new information but I just wanted to let anybody that was still on the fence about switching to 3/8 on a 346XP know that it will pull it and do so with serious authority. I have a Windsor Mini Pro 16" 59 link bar on it and it loves the Oregon LGX chain, goes through oak like butter, kinda funny how fast it cuts through old ratty scott pine, like using a laser or something. This saw was meant to pull 3/8, leave that .325 stuff for the homeowner/weekend warrior types. Also, it oils like a champ, no issues with the Oregon 3/8 small rim swap either. I really don't see any downside to this setup, especially considering my saw is brand spanking new and not even broke in yet. A muffler mod and some massaging of the ports should really make this thing talk. Now go out and pick up a 3/8 rim and some full chisel for those little 50cc monsters!!!

saw1.jpg

saw2.jpg

Scott

Last edited:
When I bought my 346XP it came with a 18" bar and .325 chain, and I loved it.
Still. I couldn't help but think, "I bet this thing would really rock with a 16" bar."

Your saw confirms what I suspected.

JTB

I haven't timed but it seems to cut just as fast as the .325 346XP I tried before I bought this one. Doesn't bog the motor down as others have feared. This setup has one less link than the .325 (59/60) and has the added benefit of staying sharper longer and much easier to sharpen in my opinion. .325 chains are a pain.

Scott

Probably just used to sharpening 3/8, and my grinder is set up for 3/8, have to swap stones to sharpen .325, which is more tedious to get the angle just right. I could also be my poor eyesight and small little cutterheads. Plus I am kinda set in my ways, and a little bullheaded. Getting the picture Brad? ;)

Scott

Last edited:
Don't rule out .325.

This saw was meant to pull 3/8, leave that .325 stuff for the homeowner/weekend warrior types.
Scott

I switched mine to 16" Husky solid bar with sprocket tip and am running 21LP chisel Oregon .325 / .58 chain and it flat out rips!! Hardly just for weekend warriors and homeowners!

Al :cheers:

My 260 wears a Stihl RS .325 square ground chain and won first in class at our GTG in January. It was not a race chain either. Just a square ground chain with the gullets cleaned out. I'm sure several of the other saws were wearing better 3/8 chains. It certainly is not to be dismissed as a homeowner chain.

But I bet you kinda wonder how it would run with 3/8 full chisel, now don'tcha'?

Scott

Last edited:
OK, I rescind my blanket "all .325 chains suck" statement. But you aren't talking about garden variety locally available .325 chain either. " Stihl RS .325 square ground chain" If I walked into my local Stihl dealer and asked for that they would think I was on crack or something. My Husqvarna dealer has reels of Oregon LGX 3/8 .50 cheap so that is the route I decided to take. The only available .325 in my area is the green safety crap from Ace/TSC or the bumper chisel type of stuff from dealers that ios designed for low kickback.

Scott

Last edited:
How many links of 3/8 Brad? I know links weigh very little but if it is close the one link may make the difference. Plus I believe 3/8 will have less cutters than comparable .325, no?

Scott

Last edited:
How many links of 3/8 Brad? I know links weigh very little but if it is close the one link may make the difference. Plus I believe 3/8 will have less cutters than comparable .325, no?

Scott

No way is the weight of a link or two making that much difference. It's all about the width of the kerf. When you make a cut with a 3/8 chain, you're removing more wood. The advantage to 3/8 is that it has better chip clearance. I'm not saying this will be the case with all saws or all models of chain. I'm simply saying that in my testing with my saw, .325 is faster. Others have tested and found otherwise. People I trust. Why? I don't know.

I have read on here that saws running both .325 and 3/8 cut very close, what I am saying is that my setup with one less link may put it right at the threshhold of cutting even with .325, and have the benefits of better chip clearance, staying sharp longer, easier to obtain chain locally and easier to sharpen for me personally. To each his own, I'm going out back to cut some wood.

P.S. Beautiful muffler mod on your 346XP Brad. That is the route I will go when I get up the nerve to mess with this little guy. Much better esthetically than a big old honking hole in the front, or blow pipe out the side. Sleeper modded saw!

Scott

Last edited:
I have read on here that saws with both .325 and 3/8 cut very close, whatI am saying is that this setup with one less link may put it right at the threshhold of cutting even with .325, and have better chip clearance, stay sharp longer, easier to obtain chain locally and easier to sharpen for me personally. To each his own, I'm going out back to cut some wood.

Scott

That's cool. I'm not trying to tell you not to use it. I'm sure it cuts well. The difference I'm talking about is only found with a stopwatch, not in a huge productivity difference for the firewood cutter. I'm just trying to provide the facts that 3/8 is not always faster on a 50cc saw. Nothing more. It's easy for hearsay to turn into fact on a forum. Lots of guys run 3/8 simply to have less styles of chain to maitain. Excellent reason.

Back