346XP NE+16" Windsor+3/8 LGX=small saw bliss!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I buy the more meat being removed scenario but it would be interesting to weigh both a .325 60 link chain and my 59 link 3/8 chain. I bet the differene is very small.

Scott

I have tried both 3/8 and .325 on my Dolmar 5100 and the .325 will easily win in hard wood. I have both a ne346xp and an old 346xp with both running 16” bars. The NE346 is running RMC, the old is running 95vp on a narrow kerf bar. In anything under 8” in diameter, the old 346 will win.

Originally Posted by blsnelling
I find .325 no different than 3/8. What have you found to be a pain with the .325?

Smaller.

Scott

Originally Posted by blsnelling
I find .325 no different than 3/8. What have you found to be a pain with the .325?

Less forgiving of poor angle.

Scott

Brad

I know my 5100 cuts better with .325 Woodland Pro chisel. But, I don't think its because of a narrower kerf. If you measure the cutter with .325 is only .015 inch more narrower. However, the height is a lot less. I think this was discussed once before.
I really think .375 low profile cuts poorly at least on my saws.

Sq. Filing .325

I tried square filing .325 and could not get the angle right because of the low height of the cutter.

And yours are strong enough to pull a 28" bar, if I recall correctly!

Yes they are. That is 325 skip though on the 28. Now the narrow kerf bar and chain that usally come with the NE 346 V95 325. I don't like at all. So if someone went from that chain compo to 3/8th I would see why they like 3/8th better.

I switched mine to 16" Husky solid bar with sprocket tip and am running 21LP chisel Oregon .325 / .58 chain and it flat out rips!! Hardly just for weekend warriors and homeowners!

Al :cheers:

Yep, LP or RSC is much better than the 95VP/H30 they usually come with.

I have a 3/8" setup, but haven't cared to try it yet.....

16" bar is just right for balance and handling!

:cheers:

OK, I rescind my blanket "all .325 chains suck" statement. But you aren't talking about garden variety locally available .325 chain either. " Stihl RS .325 square ground chain" If I walked into my local Stihl dealer and asked for that they would think I was on crack or something. My Husqvarna dealer has reels of Oregon LGX 3/8 .50 cheap so that is the route I decided to take. The only available .325 in my area is the green safety crap from Ace/TSC or the bumper chisel type of stuff from dealers that ios designed for low kickback.

Scott

Exact model of chain is very important - when comparing different styles, brands or pitches, you need to use comparable chains that eliminate as many other factors as possible.

Last edited:
Back