346XP needs replaced....it's at 90 PSI, what saw is comparable today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For $150.00 I'd just toss a new top end on it. Do the crank seals while your at it. Check over the intake boot and replace the fuel lines. Call it a day for under $200.00.

Agreed- then the old cylinder can be a learning tool for transfer removal.
If it comes out good it can be a donor for a 350 upgrade. :numberone:

Do the new kits come with the ring installed on the piston though?

Agreed- then the old cylinder can be a learning tool for transfer removal.
If it comes out good it can be a donor for a 350 upgrade. :numberone:

Do the new kits come with the ring installed on the piston though?
I'm not sure, it's been so long since I messed with one.

I'm not sure, it's been so long since I messed with one.
Im pretty sure they dont (or at least shouldnt) as it will stop any dissimilar metals reaction in storage from boxing at the factory until someone buys it to fit.
I am sure as a collective we can come up with a few photographs that explain for the OP and his son the orientation of the ring on the piston and relationship of the locator pin and the tail ends of the ring- once time comes for reassembly. ;)

Im pretty sure they dont (or at least shouldnt) as it will stop any dissimilar metals reaction in storage from boxing at the factory until someone buys it to fit.
I am sure as a collective we can come up with a few photographs that explain for the OP and his son the orientation of the ring on the piston and relationship of the locator pin and the tail ends of the ring- once time comes for reassembly. ;)
I'm at work, but I happen to have several of my rc engines pulled apart right now. Won't be hard at all to furnish a few pictures of how a ring should be installed.

Thanks guys. How should the ring be installed? I didn't know it could be installed wrong, upside and not in the right direction, school me. Intake clamp is metal. I can't do a leak test. But again, could that kind of damage happen in 4 minutes? Was it caused by the ring being in wrong? What pics would you all need?

What does it mean to clean transfer off cylinder?

I really enjoy learning all of this and am thankful for this forum.

Thanks guys. How should the ring be installed? I didn't know it could be installed wrong, upside and not in the right direction, school me. Intake clamp is metal. I can't do a leak test. But again, could that kind of damage happen in 4 minutes? Was it caused by the ring being in wrong? What pics would you all need?

What does it mean to clean transfer off cylinder?

I really enjoy learning all of this and am thankful for this forum.
What part of ohio are you in.
We can spend a lot of time typing, when a guy whose local to you could show you a lot more quite quickly.

A new 550xp mark 2 has more torque than any 346/2153 I ever owned or ran.
And all the fanboyz went :crazy2:.
My favorite signature line "you'll have to pry my cold dead fingers off this (insert your favorite saw here)":laughing:.
But lets also remember the mk2 is a tank in comparison, the mk1 is a way closer comparison and it also stomps the 346 in so many categories it's not funny, just be sure to buy a late model version.
Also, upgrade your intake clamp to this style. Will seal better to prevent an air leak that will make the saw run lean and burn up that new piston and cylinder. Husqvarna part number 505283309.

View attachment 1039201 View attachment 1039202
My experience has shown that what you're saying is only true if you're in very hot climates or you don't keep your chains sharp. I've never had one loosen up on me.

The upside down part I get....but the rest I am not sure. but will do some research.

You see the small pin top of the ring groove- intake side of the piston?
Now look at the ring itself and see how there are radius ground on the rings tails?

Those radius meet up when the ring is "closed" and encapsulate that pin somewhat- the pin locating the ring within the groove and not allowing it to slip around so that the tail end of the ring might snag a port on the way up and down.

You see the small pin top of the ring groove- intake side of the piston?
Now look at the ring itself and see how there are radius ground on the rings tails?

Those radius meet up when the ring is "closed" and encapsulate that pin somewhat- the pin locating the ring within the groove and not allowing it to slip around so that the tail end of the ring might snag a port on the way up and down.
Makes perfect sense. I love this stuff!

Thanks...so when I just went out and looked again I could clearly see. I will NOT make that mistake again! Now to find that little pin....

Find the pin- place it with that piston and the ring somewhere safe- somewhere that is NOT on the interior of that saw.

Get some better pics of the inside of the cylinder. Use a penlight or flashlight.

BTW, what kind of spark plug is that?

Did the saw run at all with the ring upside down?

A few minutes of run time by the sounds- check the wear on the exhaust side of the ring held in a not normal position. ;)

Like the others said find the pin, throw it in the trash with that piston. The pin isn't supposed to come out of the piston. Pics with better lighting of the cylinder would help, but I'd swear from your earlier pictures the plating was worn through in a few areas. Really I'd just toss it on the bench and go with the new piston and cylinder.

Back