346xp or 460 rancher??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, probably is, because the stihl's max rpm is lower than the husky. You could always lean it out to match the husky's rpm's, but it wouldn't last long, or cut much. :dizzy:

stihl does not even list max rpm, the husky tops out at 14.7k rpm.

yep, thats why i prefer stihl, not because they're made to run @ less rpm, but because their power is @ lower rpm. same reason i like cummins diesel, you can idle into any gear (with no load ofc). with stihl, you can lay the saw on the wood, then pull the trigger. with the huskies i've used, you have to have the thing wide open before you start cutting. only thing i think i like about husky is the 'air injection' thing, but again, that just makes more rpms.

I have been climbing with a 250 equipped with an 18" bar for 3 years and still runs as good as the day I bought it. People give me a hard time about running a residential saw, but there is no tellin how many times that little saw has paid for itself. Granted some products are just junk from the get go, but if you take care of your equipment and respect its limitations then you will get years of service. :cheers:

My experience and working with crews (as climber, feller, foreman and now my own crew).. (who use virtually 100% Stihl saws), have demonstrated that Stihl {homeowner} saws are better than most other non-Stihl saws out there {yes some of them have used saws like 270, 290, etc). However, they are not as good as the comparable Stihl professional saw (typically you get lighter saw, somewhat better material, higher chain speed, and a worse warranty :mad: on the pro saws).

If you compare the Stihl homeowner with the closest professional saw, you will have a saw that is a little heavier, and does not cut as quickly.. but for overall quality they seem to still last the long run virtually the same as their big brothers.

Now not saying Stihl are the ONLY good saw on the block, but there are few other names that can come close (I can think of maybe two or three others). The rest simply do not stack up to the long run.

So, yes you 250 likely is doing the job well, and will continue to do so. Personally I prefer my 200T with 14" bar for climbing, but it is all personal preference. Glad you like the 250, and I hope it continues to work and do the job for years to come!

i recently bought the dolmar 5100s....its a pretty good little screamer.... poor man's 346....here in canada a 346 runs close to 800 bones.... the 5100s runs for 499....both have high revs, i think the husky is a little revvier but the dolmar has a bit more hp...

i recently bought the dolmar 5100s....its a pretty good little screamer.... poor man's 346....here in canada a 346 runs close to 800 bones.... the 5100s runs for 499....both have high revs, i think the husky is a little revvier but the dolmar has a bit more hp...

uh-oh....now we're just gonna confuse the OP, his head might be spinnin when he realizes there's another saw in that class thats better than the 260 pro.

nice buy, i'm pretty sure thats the one i'd have bought too if i couldn't get the 346. here the 5100 was 4 bills, and the 346 was 5.

for all the guys who are "stihl only", open your eyes a little wider, sure, some of their saws are best in class, but to say they're across the board better is just blind loyalty. the color/s of a saw aren't the only factor in how they perform.

i recently bought the dolmar 5100s....its a pretty good little screamer.... poor man's 346....here in Canada a 346 runs close to 800 bones.... the 5100s runs for 499....both have high revs, i think the husky is a little revvier but the dolmar has a bit more hp...

the huskys are 800? damn that's expensive. the 260s run for 569.95 (619.95 not on sale) and we sell those with an 18 inch bar. definitely no less quality than the husky but maybe its just the area your in.

for all the guys who are "stihl only", open your eyes a little wider, sure, some of t

If i ever needed a particular size saw stihl did not offer i would consider a husqvarna and you are correct i am a loyal customer my stihl dealer takes care of me , gives me as many breaks as he can great service and great saws, so I take care of him. Same as where I buy gas one or two placed in town unless out of town Allways AMERICAN owned and operated. Also my stihl dealer alows me to advertise in his store and recomends my services and others in town, not just me.

Has any one ever seen a Solo ? They sell on the flee bay. They are trying to compare to a Dolmar 5100. I don't know where they are selling from, Canada maybe? The $ was not that far off of a real saw. Just wondering if their toys or crap. Not buying one just talking. I have been picking up Dolmar the past 2 years. 3410, 5100, 6400. Nice gear!

LT...

:arg:

Has any one ever seen a Solo ? They sell on the flee bay. They are trying to compare to a Dolmar 5100. I don't know where they are selling from, Canada maybe? The $ was not that far off of a real saw. Just wondering if their toys or crap. Not buying one just talking. I have been picking up Dolmar the past 2 years. 3410, 5100, 6400. Nice gear!

LT...

Personally don't know much about them. They are not inexpensive for sure.

Looks like they began in 1951 in Germany, set up overseas subsidiary in the USA in 1960 (today´s SOLO INC. in Newport News, Virginia).

http://www.solousa.com/store/browse/chain_saws.html

I have seen them in the Bailey's catalog as well.

But, can't say if they are any good or how they compare to other brands.

If i ever needed a particular size saw stihl did not offer i would consider a husqvarna and you are correct i am a loyal customer my stihl dealer takes care of me , gives me as many breaks as he can great service and great saws, so I take care of him. Same as where I buy gas one or two placed in town unless out of town Allways AMERICAN owned and operated. Also my stihl dealer alows me to advertise in his store and recomends my services and others in town, not just me.

Now thats a good reason for buying a brand over and over......Luckily for me, the good dealer here sells both Husky and Stihl, so I can buy from them and choose which brand I want.

As far as the solo's, I don't have any experience with them either, but their MSRP's look like they're pretty proud of their lineup....I'm doubtful I'd ever try one without a glowing recommendation from someone I trust, since I can have a husky or stihl for around the same money.

Now thats a good reason for buying a brand over and over......Luckily for me, the good dealer here sells both Husky and Stihl, so I can buy from them and choose which brand I want.

As far as the solo's, I don't have any experience with them either, but their MSRP's look like they're pretty proud of their lineup....I'm doubtful I'd ever try one without a glowing recommendation from someone I trust, since I can have a husky or stihl for around the same money.

Me either:)

LT...

Anyone ever play with a Jonsered? One of the local logging outfits back home switched from Stihl to Jonsered a few years ago, and they love em. I have never used one, and I prefer Stihl to every other saw I have run. (I ran Husky's for an angry old Austrian guy in the Upstate New York woods before I started my own business)

The local loggers say that the Jonsereds out-perform the Stihls, have better torque and chain speed, etc.

Curious about this...

yep, thats why i prefer stihl, not because they're made to run @ less rpm, but because their power is @ lower rpm. same reason i like cummins diesel, you can idle into any gear (with no load ofc). with stihl, you can lay the saw on the wood, then pull the trigger. with the huskies i've used, you have to have the thing wide open before you start cutting. only thing i think i like about husky is the 'air injection' thing, but again, that just makes more rpms.

man dude, how old are you?? I'm getting this vision of someones granpappy cutting the way yer talking. :)

LT...

Solo's are pretty much the same as Dolmars. There has been a lot of talk about them lately. Not sure on the smaller saws but to compair the 6400/7300/7900 line of dolmars to the solos, solo claims to have made improvements, such as better air filter, better anti-vibe, walbro carb, and they gave them a 1 mm longer stroke on the crank to increase cc a little bit.

A lot of the parts are interchangable between the two saws.

I read a thread somewhere (maybe on another site) that Dolmar and Solo had a joint venture to build the new saws together, and dolmar stole all the ideas and left solo high and dry. Solo came back with basically the same saws with minor improvements.

Basically they're as good as dolmars, it's just preference. With the solos you can order them online and get parts online at the same cost dealers would charge.

i dont know why people are so turned off by 'homeowner' stihls. i have used almost every stihl ever made and they are all very nice with a few exceptions. someone on here got on me about using a 250 to climb with, saying 260 was the real thing and 250 is just a homeowner toy. thing is, 250 is lighter and runs a slightly shorter bar. 250 is small enough that i can hold it horizontal from my body with one hand and use it, cant do that with the 260. 200 is nice but its tophandle i dont care for. plus, look at the price difference. i can buy 2 250s for the price of one 'pro' saw. or one 250 and a bunch of rum

:agree2: Pro / schmo The whole pro thing is overrated! If you like a 250 or 455 or 350 then who cares, and like he said if you can buy two 250 s for the price of one 260 and you can where I live! Why not if you drop a tree on it your out half the money! Also I owned a 260 pro was it double the saw the 250 is ? not hardly, so buy a 250 or what ever non pro saw you like run it a couple yrs sell it and buy a new one!

I have done this exact thing with a husky 350 and a 345 ran them 2yrs each sold them for 200 to 250 each and bought another new one with full warranty!

Anyone ever play with a Jonsered? One of the local logging outfits back home switched from Stihl to Jonsered a few years ago, and they love em. I have never used one, and I prefer Stihl to every other saw I have run. (I ran Husky's for an angry old Austrian guy in the Upstate New York woods before I started my own business)

The local loggers say that the Jonsereds out-perform the Stihls, have better torque and chain speed, etc.

Curious about this...

Back in the mid 90's I worked for a Co. that ran the Reds. They ran good, then they switch up to the air clean mods. I bought a discontinued mod. 670 for myself. I wasn't crazy over it not being newer air clean mod. It ran good and all, just not the saw you get today. I paid 890.00 for the head , 24" bar and 36" bar. For as the new stock I don't know, but they have always been competitive.

LT...

greenstar. luipita's. name of a good ass burrito joint in somerville on elm st. tacos lupita is the name of the place. check it out next time you in that neck of the woods.

if you need someone for the nasties you get pm me for my number.

Back