346xp or 460 rancher??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
who is this guy?

they stopped making that saw, the 044/440, and replaced it in the pro lineup with the 441.

and if you are a company that consistently buy 2nd rate **** you are a second rate company.

if you are someone who acts childish, you are a child

Sorta back on track

Have you considered a Dolmar 5100? The local Husky/Dolmar dealer suggested this as an alternative to the 346xp. The store co-owner actually had a used 346xp for sale; he'd opted to buy a Dolmar 5100 instead. I'm talking about long time Husky dealers, here. And I've been a Husky fan for decades, but after running an MS200T for a couple seasons, I've come to realize that Husqvarna does not have the best saw for every niche. With that said, my next limbing saw will be a Dolmar 5100 or an MS260 Pro. And, by the way, the Dolmar 5100 will save you $100.00 compared to the 346xp. Just some thoughts.

Last edited:
I have been climbing with a 250 equipped with an 18" bar for 3 years and still runs as good as the day I bought it. People give me a hard time about running a residential saw, but there is no tellin how many times that little saw has paid for itself. Granted some products are just junk from the get go, but if you take care of your equipment and respect its limitations then you will get years of service. :cheers:

My reasoning behind this is that when I went into business I couldn't afford to spend $600 on a saw with a 14"bar.... So I bought the ms250 for its versatility I could use it for climbing/pruning and some groundwork as well. I use pro saws too. I now do a lot of climbing and felling with a ms460 mag w/bars ranging from 20-32" and it seems virtually unstoppable. I'm sure I would like working/climbing w the 200, but I cannot justify buying one until my 250 wears out. I don't climb everyday. I love my pro saws, but im not going to complain about my residential saws either b/c they have been good to me when I needed them the most.:greenchainsaw: I now run a lawncare/landscaping business and if I cut a handful of trees each month.... well I consider that a prosperous and or productive month. Anyone who has plenty of money will purchase the pro saw b/c of the extra power and durability. I don't want to have to buy new equipment every couple of years.... It would suit me fine to be cutting with the same saws 10 yrs from now. Same with any other equipment.... I would rather spend the extra money now than I would have to spend it later when I didnt have it. Point being everyone's situation is different. A person shouldn't get offended by someones opinion just b/c they cannot do any better. They should listen and make logical decisions... possibly get some incentive to work towards something better and/or something to make their job easier and in return make them more money.

Have you considered a Dolmar 5100? The local Husky/Dolmar dealer suggested this as an alternative to the 346xp. The store co-owner actually had a used 346xp for sale; he'd opted to buy a Dolmar 5100 instead. I'm talking about long time Husky dealers, here. And I've been a Husky fan for decades, but after running an MS200T for a couple seasons, I've come to realize that Husqvarna does not have the best saw for every niche. With that said, my next limbing saw will be a Dolmar 5100 or an MS260 Pro. And, by the way, the Dolmar 5100 will save you $100.00 compared to the 346xp. Just some thoughts.

How much for a 346xp? I stopped in at a dealer in NJ and they didn't have one. I bought a 5100 @ 460.00. I have a pastor friend that enjoys cutting firewood for a few that don't have much. He brings me his Pullll-onnn so I can try to fix it. So, I told him I'd try but have a pine box ready just in case. I told him to get the 5100 his $ is low. He has to save even if he buys a throw away saw again. The husky dealer suggested the 260 but I don't know if I can be part of buying an insufficient saw. He cuts about 6 cords a year. If he had a 5100 I bet he would cut @ 10 a year. I just want to get him a saw that will last years. That tells me gut to go pro. What do ya think?

ps. he does not climb!

LT...

How much for a 346xp? I stopped in at a dealer in NJ and they didn't have one. I bought a 5100 @ 460.00. I have a pastor friend that enjoys cutting firewood for a few that don't have much. He brings me his Pullll-onnn so I can try to fix it. So, I told him I'd try but have a pine box ready just in case. I told him to get the 5100 his $ is low. He has to save even if he buys a throw away saw again. The husky dealer suggested the 260 but I don't know if I can be part of buying an insufficient saw. He cuts about 6 cords a year. If he had a 5100 I bet he would cut @ 10 a year. I just want to get him a saw that will last years. That tells me gut to go pro. What do ya think?

ps. he does not climb!

LT...

I just bought a 346xp for $489.99 including shipping from here:

http://wisesales.com/Huskysaws.html

yep, you confirmed it, you're childish. when someone says something you dont like, you resort to namecalling
tophandle saws suck. doesnt mastter which model. i have like an extra foot of reach with even the smallest rearhandle saw. not to mention you cant cut much big stuff with a 200

ms 200t 16" bar toped to day at 17-18" no bog just stait get it!!!! then blocked down to about 20-24" long curley chips flying wifes unckle watching in amazement as my little 200t outcuts his poulan with 20 inch.
..................YEA RESPECT..............

AND if that was not good enough you should have seen them when i bucked rest of trunk with 038.
..................YEA MORE RESPECT.....................................

as to pro vs home owner i started out with ms 290's an o15L and a
homelite xl. I cant talk to bad about them 290 has bad power to weight ratio but crank every time. O15L was what it was crank every time but 30years old homelight lite fast no power. when i got the money and customer base went pro and have never regretted it. and i dont spend my off days working on saws. pro saws are better saws no doubt but that does not make farm saws junk just inefficient for me.:greenchainsaw:

i've stooped about half way to your level, trying not to got all the way down where you are

well hack boy, you might as well stoop over the rest of the way and pick up your opinion and dust it off. seeing as how its just getting trampled on.

spikes on prunes and saying that a 250 (homeowner saw) is better than a professional climbing saw is just plain ignorance. or stupidity. one or the other. and seeing as how i spent a good amount of time in south florida with a touch in central florida, the difference is miniscule between the two.

hackboy!

Last edited:
hey olpace. my first saw was the dolmar PS540. just to be able to climb and do ground work with it. as soon as i could though i got a top handle.

as to pro vs home owner i started out with ms 290's an o15L and a
homelite xl. I cant talk to bad about them 290 has bad power to weight ratio but crank every time.

Agreed. The only saving item with the 290 is that it is a fairly light saw to begin with. If you pushed that power to weight ratio into anything bigger then it would not be usable. However, I prefer my 260 any day to the 270 or 290.

pro saws are better saws no doubt but that does not make farm saws junk just inefficient for me.:greenchainsaw:

Agreed. And each have their own place and purpose.

Hello guys, I think I need a new medium-small sized groundsaw. I have an 026, which is sometimes a little undersized, and an 036, which sometimes gets a little heavy and is too oversized for our normal ground activity on a day to day basis, so I was looking for a little something in between..
The local saw shop was all out of the 346, so I was considering the rancher, which is also $40 cheaper, and I think is more powerful saw!!

But I think its probably the 346xp that I really want.

Good weekend guys!!

Ben ~Greenstar

Sure the 346xp is what you want! :clap::clap:

The 460 is heavier than the 036, with a lot less power!

Last edited:
treeclimber57

Amen i have 026 brand new beleave it or not. i like it mutch better than the 290. for got to mention 290 is stihl running but dosent see much use any more. more of a backup or an extra for really big jobs.

been called worse, hack boy. keep them spikes sharp on your next prune job.

I see you two are getting along famously. lol

I'm getting a 346 pretty soon (today maybe), its part payment for helping a buddy put a dump on a one ton. Nice looking saws indeed. I've been wanting something in that size range for some time now. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back