346xp or echo 490

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradarnett

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all, looking for a new 50cc saw for home use. We burn wood in the house and barn. I cut wood for both my dad and father in law too since they are both slowing down lately as they are in their early 70's. My saws I use are a little echo 310 and 25 year old stihl 026. Most everything I cut is oak or ash 10-14" trees. My dad has always liked cutting with the old stihl so I ended cleaning it up and giving it to him since I wanted to upgrade to a new saw anyway. I was over at a friends house recently and he has a 346xp ne that he let my play with when I told him I was looking at new saws. I loved that saw after using it but he said it wasn't for sale. He also said to look at the echo 490. He has that saw too but it was lent out when I was there. His opinion was that I should really hold out and try and get my hands on a 346 but that if I had to have one now then to go with the echo 490.

So long story short is that an online search for a 346xp ne led me to threads on here. It seems that they are a well loved saw. I'm really not in a huge hurry to get a new saw, it'll be 4-6 weeks before I start cutting wood again. I'm leaning toward just posting a wtb ad and seeing if I can find a 346.

I'm sure this is like beating a dead horse for longtime forum members here, but do you guys think i'd be better biding my time and trying to find a 346 instead of just buying a new echo? I'm afraid that if I just went out and picked up the echo I'd have some buyers remorse and wished that I'd have just waited to find a 346.

Thanks, Brad.

Nah, the 346xp was a good saw, but the echo cuts wood too. A lot of the 346’s you’ll come across are thrashed out or over priced too. The rebuilt ones can often have aftermarket cheap Chinese parts to save costs. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a new modern saw, from any brand.

346xp NE if you can have it in your budget. Occasionally you’ll see them for sale here. You can make a ‘want to buy’ post in the Tradin’ post, that is sure to connect you with someone. I haven’t used a cs490 before.

The 550xp is a nice choice as others have suggested.

Thank you all for the advice so far! I looked at the 550xp already but was a bit unsure about the autotune saws as i have no issues working on my own saws.

Hi all, looking for a new 50cc saw for home use. We burn wood in the house and barn. I cut wood for both my dad and father in law too since they are both slowing down lately as they are in their early 70's. My saws I use are a little echo 310 and 25 year old stihl 026. Most everything I cut is oak or ash 10-14" trees. My dad has always liked cutting with the old stihl so I ended cleaning it up and giving it to him since I wanted to upgrade to a new saw anyway. I was over at a friends house recently and he has a 346xp ne that he let my play with when I told him I was looking at new saws. I loved that saw after using it but he said it wasn't for sale. He also said to look at the echo 490. He has that saw too but it was lent out when I was there. His opinion was that I should really hold out and try and get my hands on a 346 but that if I had to have one now then to go with the echo 490.

So long story short is that an online search for a 346xp ne led me to threads on here. It seems that they are a well loved saw. I'm really not in a huge hurry to get a new saw, it'll be 4-6 weeks before I start cutting wood again. I'm leaning toward just posting a wtb ad and seeing if I can find a 346.

I'm sure this is like beating a dead horse for longtime forum members here, but do you guys think i'd be better biding my time and trying to find a 346 instead of just buying a new echo? I'm afraid that if I just went out and picked up the echo I'd have some buyers remorse and wished that I'd have just waited to find a 346.

Thanks, Brad.
You can get a new 490 for less than you will find a nice 346 for unless you just get real lucky. I've seen some good prices on eBay for NIB 490s

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Is there a noticable difference in power over the oe550? With it being slightly longer, does it handle the same? Do you notice the weight increase? Thanks for your input.

I am not a saw connoisseur like @chipper1 is. I opened both mufflers on both saws, yes I could tell a slight power increase, do not notice how it handles any different and do not notice weight increase. That being said, cutting down, bucking, limbing and brushing is hard part for me. 550mk1 was a 2018 I rebuilt, 550mk2 just breaking in. Both started easy, mk2 is a one pull warm start. Late model mk1 or mk2 are both nice saws and do not care for 346xp's, just my opinion.

Is there a noticable difference in power over the oe550? With it being slightly longer, does it handle the same? Do you notice the weight increase? Thanks for your input.

The MKII is noticeably stronger. I don't notice the extra weight or length, but if you were really looking for it I'm sure you could pick it apart.

I don't have any real run time on my 346XP (OE) since I bought, but they are a Well Respected, and much Sought after saw

I Love my Later version MK1 550XP

I have a 353 as well, It is in my opinion Husqvarna's BEST KEPT SECRET, it is an Excellent saw, that gets a lot of use. I can't imagine that you would be disappointed with a 353, if you found one for a good price. The 353 has a Mag case, and in my opinion deserves the "XP" designation in it's numbering. I have never considered selling it

The 346XP is an Excellent saw, but the 550XP's, and 353 would very likely make you Smile as well, any of the 3 should fit your needs very well

The CS 490, I don't have any experience with, so I won't advise either way with it

Doug :cheers:

I don’t remember off-hand the price difference, but you could also look at the 545mk2. I picked one up earlier this year - auto tune, mag case, almost everything the 550 has minus the rev boost, I think. Cut about 3 cords with it so far and it’s running great - using the 20” bar in 6 - 20 inch range (oak/madrone/pine). I’m guessing it was about $75 - $100 less than the 550xp.

The size wood you’re cutting probably won’t show that much difference between the two...

Between a 490 Echo and a 346 I would choose the Husky, and it's not even close. Having ran one now I assure you a 490 will disappoint you. Save up $350 and pick up an NE(44.3mm) that a member on here has gone through. There are a lot of guys that know that family of saws real well.

If we're considering other options:

I like running the first version 550xp ok, but what's been on MY bench has left a sour taste in my mouth. My opinion may change with more exposure but to me there are better options.

I haven't ran an MKII yet but all of the specs lead me to believe it's similar to a Dolmar 5105 in size and power. I'm a big 5105 fan.

The CS-490 is a small, light, rock solid firewood saw. Not overly impressive for power but decent, muffler mod and removing the limiter caps required and they start to settle in nicely after you put a few tanks thru them as mentioned.....but NEVER put a 20" bar on one or move away from .325".

I will be replacing my CS-370 with one if I ever wear it out or break it, but will outfit mine with a 16" bar and keep it in the side-by-side like I do the CS-370.

The Husqvarna 346XP is a big step up and top of the pile for that cc range, but it comes with the higher price tag as well. If you are wanting exceptional power in a small/light package and professional quality move up to the 346XP....IMHO....

Latest posts

Back