346XP or MS261?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad to hear you are making good use of the storm damage. Our weather is more threatening than it use to be. I finished up a blow down white oak Sunday, 34" WBH and I counted 154 rings but no match for today's weather. I use it but many places would allow it to lay and rot.

I don't think all of it will be got to before some of it rots. There's so much of it and only 3 people getting wood for themselves from it. I don't have the time to get it and split/season it to sell or I would.

I am finding myself in unfamiliar territory. I totally agree with ST.

I know me to ;)

My Mum loves the small stuff for early in the morning; I cut up just about a cord of small stuff 1" to 4" dia. limbs and I'll tell you what that took the most time to cut a cord of wood just about a week to get that all home and stacked up in the wood shed - MS 250

Man; can't believe I agree with ST :)

not writing them off at all, i think they are/will be good saws when the bugs are worked out. i just think husky is doing everything they can to try to gain/keep market share. they just push saws too fast to market. stihl has issues occasionally as well, but i know how long they spend on R&D, and testing before the public ever sees it, much less buy it.

I can only confirm the time and effort taken on R&D. Used to be a practical beta-tester for the GS-461 prototype (slightly offtopic, but not really when you think about it for more than a couple of seconds..) , so I should mention that these guys are dead serious! :) :)

Believe it was 18'. Something about that saw seems bulky to me. Yet again I'm use to Huskys which seem slimmer.

Yeah, last saw I ran that had an 18' bar on it was pretty heavy and bulky, the endways balance was all off too.

Mr. HE:cool:

Yeah, last saw I ran that had an 18' bar on it was pretty heavy and bulky, the endways balance was all off too.

Mr. HE:cool:

Well, May I say - you can always experiment! :) LOL..
- grab a lightweight 18" .325" bar
or
- try a nice slim 18" LP bar with the new 3/8" LP Full-Chisel chain (STIHL?) for limbing and the smaller fellings.. It sounds like curse words, "LP", but I find the new chain pretty nice and the cutters have a nice size.. - try! just 4 kicks, and see how it goes.. (just make sure you find a 7-Spoke Picco drum. It's not like 200T that you must change the pump drive to change pitch :p LOL..
I'm gonna do this experiment as soon as my new Teflon coated piston arrives..).

BTW, it's not way too different from putting .325" on a mid or mid-big size saw that comes 3/8" as default..

Say?

Jo.

Last edited:
346XP. 261 seems bulky and heavy for what it is. Typical Stihl :msp_rolleyes:
if the 261 seems too bulky for you, stihl makes a newer, little slimmer model.............i believe it just says "ms" on the side. it is all plastic and runs on two double AA batteries. maybe that would be more to your liking and easier for you to handle.:D

Back