346XP or MS261?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried it at 13.7k for a few cuts and it just didn't like it there. It was too rich and wouldn't clean up without a lot of pressure. These little saws are more picky about the tune to me. I would like to try a 261 out for a day of cutting to see if it would be better suited to me. I like the idea of smaller and lighter but the power I want isn't there:(

I just plumb forgot to put the 3/8 - 8 rim spocket on with the 18" bar today

I havent used it on this new set-up

Any guesses how it will work on a 3/8 18" bar with RSLHK chain

I do know with the 3/8 -7 rim spocket it's a winning conection :)

I tried it at 13.7k for a few cuts and it just didn't like it there. It was too rich and wouldn't clean up without a lot of pressure. These little saws are more picky about the tune to me. I would like to try a 261 out for a day of cutting to see if it would be better suited to me. I like the idea of smaller and lighter but the power I want isn't there:(

You're apt to really like the 261. It's a much higher compression saw. You can drop the base gasket and still have about .020" squish. Keep in mind, you have to tune the L on these Stihl strato saws on the leanish side to get good throttle response. That and a few degrees of timing advance, and they have excellent throttle response.

This is a MM only on a new 261 cutting 12" of Oak.

[video=youtube_share;gIpiD-jjvuc]http://youtu.be/gIpiD-jjvuc[/video]

If I had not come across a deal on a ported 2153, I'd have likely bought a 261. But how could one seriously look at this and say no:

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

I couldnt have said no either. Thats a true thing of beauty right there! :msp_wub:

If I had not come across a deal on a ported 2153, I'd have likely bought a 261. But how could one seriously look at this and say no:

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

I've got to agree as well. THAT is one sweet looking little saw. I'm calling dibs if you ever decide to unload her for that 261 or whatever.... :msp_smile:

I just plumb forgot to put the 3/8 - 8 rim spocket on with the 18" bar today

I havent used it on this new set-up

Any guesses how it will work on a 3/8 18" bar with RSLHK chain

I do know with the 3/8 -7 rim spocket it's a winning conection :)

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange: :givebeer:

Im a little late, but WOW that 261 looks good! :rock:

I got a 346,, don't get me wrong I like the little saw and it does all I ask it to do just fine, but I think the 261 would suit my cutting style more. I like a torquey saw, and I believe the strato saw would have a little more torque over the other.

well I cut trees almost everyday.

If I had a bias it'd be towards the Husky sibling to my Jred, but in fairness the Stihl offers better filtration, better fuel mileage, captive bar nuts and in all honesty probably slightly better build quality - plus no kickstand needed. :taped:

I bought my second 346 in Oct after my first one from -07 was stolen. No problems and the air filter is never dirty.

Kickstands are easy to make.

261 or Dolmar 5100/5 for mid-range falling. 346XP is excellent for limbing, doesn't seem to have the same torque as the other two IMO. ( Unless ported)

261 or Dolmar 5100/5 for mid-range falling. 346XP is excellent for limbing, doesn't seem to have the same torque as the other two IMO. ( Unless ported)

The experience regarding the torque at lower rpm (and long bars/large wood) seem to vary a lot, and who really cares on a 50cc saw anyway?:msp_confused:
If you care, you likely would benefit from using a larger saw anyway....:smile2:

Last edited:

I agree with this statement. I for one think it is awesome to have a small saw that tears up the mid range falling. My bro has a 346 and it is cool but I would never trade him saws.

I love these threads;

Especially when it completes the full circle and torque comes.up for the 346xp. Sawtroll says "who really cares on a 50cc saw anyway" :hmm3grin2orange:

Soon someone will post The Dolmar 5100 and Stihl 261 might have more torque stock but they weigh more and don't handle as good as the 346xp. Once I muffler mod, install a bigger carb and pop up piston the 346xp will out cut the others.

I think that's why I read here so much, it is entertaining.

gg

Last edited:
Im a little late, but WOW that 261 looks good! :rock:

I got a 346,, don't get me wrong I like the little saw and it does all I ask it to do just fine, but I think the 261 would suit my cutting style more. I like a torquey saw, and I believe the strato saw would have a little more torque over the other.

This saw isn't a strato, lol. It's a 6 transfer port monster:clap:

Back