346XP or MS261?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't get the bad handling people speak of. I know it's personal preference so I won't argue about it. But after I got to handle one (261) I thought it felt great in my hands. Didnt feel any heavier than a 346 to me and it balanced great with the 18" bar it had on it. If I bought a new 50cc saw today, it would be the 261.

Anthony, it's a total non issue! I owned both for a good while. I ran them both, side by side, working in the woods, not cookie cutting.

Anthony, it's a total non issue! I owned both for a good while. I ran them both, side by side, working in the woods, not cookie cutting.

If I had not come across a deal on a ported 2153, I'd have likely bought a 261. But how could one seriously look at this and say no:

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

The 346XP versus MS261 debate will become irrelevant once the 550xp is available. I can't see anyone preferring either saw to the 550xp.

(ducking for cover) :soldier:

Doug

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange: More like the MS261 never was interesting, once the details on how it was built (laid out) was out - not even remotely close to a compact design, with the bar close to the centre of gravity. :givebeer:

If you run a long bar on a small powerhead, it does of course not matter as much as with a 15-16" bar....

I like running a 3/8 20" on my 261 with NO problems :msp_biggrin:

But running that 3/8 18" bar with RSLHK set-up yesterday and I'll know better in about 5 hours after running it more today; but it's one nice set of teeth for the saw :msp_biggrin:

I hope to get a bigger bar this week (so I can have it for the 310/390 later) and run it on the 261 in this good size Maple thats coming down later this week then we will see :)

I like running a 3/8 20" on my 261 with NO problems :msp_biggrin:

But running that 3/8 18" bar with RSLHK set-up yesterday and I'll know better in about 5 hours after running it more today; but it's one nice set of teeth for the saw :msp_biggrin:

I hope to get a bigger bar this week (so I can have it for the 310/390 later) and run it on the 261 in this good size Maple thats coming down later this week then we will see :)

Problems isn't what this is about. :msp_wink:

The 346XP versus MS261 debate will become irrelevant once the 550xp is available. I can't see anyone preferring either saw to the 550xp. if there are as many problems with the 550xp, as there are with the 562xp it will be a joke too. maybe husky will actually do the r&d before the try to push it to market.

(ducking for cover) :soldier:

Doug
if there are as many issues with the 550xp as the re-released-re-released-released 562xp, than it will be a joke too.

Where do you have it tuned on the high end? I was impressed with mine right out of the box, with a muffler mod. I broke it in on frozen hardwood. I know I'll probably start an arguement here, but, if you don't already have .325 on it, try it.

It is tuned to 14.1k. I have a 16" 3/8" on it right now. I don't have any .325" bars. I traded the one that came with it after running one tank with it. I ran a 2nd tank with the 3/8", muffler mod and unlimited coil. It was a touch better but nothing impressive. I guess I just expect too much out of a 50 cc saw. I've got so used to 90cc and up class.

if there are as many issues with the 550xp as the re-released-re-released-released 562xp, than it will be a joke too.

Well, the saw is already available in Europe. I have read some early reports on the Swedish forestry forum. It seems that some of the early 550xp saws have had some of the same problems as the 560xp. :msp_scared:

Given that the saw will not be released here until the Fall there should be plenty of time to work out the kinks. The Europeans are "beta testing" the saws for us. (Thanks!) Of course if the problems are never resolved then the Autotune saws will be viewed as a joke. But I think that most of us consider it a bit too soon to write them off.

I'm confident that the problems will be resolved. :msp_biggrin:

Doug

Well, the saw is already available in Europe. I have read some early reports on the Swedish forestry forum. It seems that some of the early 550xp saws have had some of the same problems as the 560xp. :msp_scared:

Given that the saw will not be released here until the Fall there should be plenty of time to work out the kinks. The Europeans are "beta testing" the saws for us. (Thanks!) Of course if the problems are never resolved then the Autotune saws will be viewed as a joke. But I think that most of us consider it a bit too soon to write them off.

Doug
not writing them off at all, i think they are/will be good saws when the bugs are worked out. i just think husky is doing everything they can to try to gain/keep market share. they just push saws too fast to market. stihl has issues occasionally as well, but i know how long they spend on R&D, and testing before the public ever sees it, much less buy it.

Doug

There really isn't much of it, considering that both the dealers and the users appear to be a bit slow at accepting and understanding that the initial "life" of the saws have to be handled differently from earlier designs. :)

261 is hard to beat, probably all the saw the average firewood guy wood ever need..........nahhhh.

More like a misfit, as a 50cc saw should be more than just a small displacement firewood saw. The German brands don't seem to understand that a 50cc saw is for more than just blocking firewood logs - its main purpose actually is in the woods....

Last edited:
Problems isn't what this is about. :msp_wink:

I'm just having fun with ya and trying to find the limits of the 261 :)

Came back early from the woods today just did two tree's (Pacfic Northwest Soft Wood -Alder)

A funny thing happen up there; there is a old Cider down about 6 foot dia. about 50' long and a Maple was growing on top of this Cider we were just resting by it about 6" away and a little gust of wind came up and that Maple just fell over it was about 20" at the but end

Always be on the look out for wierd things while in the woods

What 50cc saw requirements does the 261 not fulfill? Please specifically quantify what it fails at.

I believe its everything it was intended to be, and does a phenomenal job doing what it does.

Amen!!! The husky feels cheap and under powered in stock form. For everyday use can not get one to last. I like the feel of the 261. I have run the crap out of it and she just wants more.

It is tuned to 14.1k. I have a 16" 3/8" on it right now. I don't have any .325" bars. I traded the one that came with it after running one tank with it. I ran a 2nd tank with the 3/8", muffler mod and unlimited coil. It was a touch better but nothing impressive. I guess I just expect too much out of a 50 cc saw. I've got so used to 90cc and up class.

Try it at 13,800 and see what you think.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back