346XP or MS261?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are both good saws and it comes down to personal preference. Most everyone here don't burn wood for heat for the winter...i burn about 10 cords and use an outdated anemic 044. I'm not a saw porter, but i've probably built 150+ saws...mostly 026 and have sold them on ebay without complaint.

After a few minutes of cutting today I started cutting cookies and adjusting the carb on my saw

The 3 other guys there thought I was carzy and starting asking if I did that every time I cut firewood and I said yes I do; we were cutting about 1000 feet higher then were I live

I put on a 3/8 18" bar on today and those 16" cookies looked really good :) and it made the tuning easy :)

We're always debating here about what's the best saw. I have mine, and you have yours. My favorite 50cc saw is the 346XP. However, the MS261 is a phenominal choice as well. I hadn't done one in a while, and I tell you what, these little things are impressive! This one is still on it's first 1/2 tank of fuel too. Just wait until it's broken in!

Again, no popup in this saw. It's just not needed. Before I had it in wood, it was already over 180 PSI. I'm sure it'll top 190 PSI once it gets some fuel through it.

I've got it setup with a 20" B&C and a .325 chisel chain. The saw's only wearing a 7-pin rim and is hungry for an 8-pin, even with the 20" bar in hardwood. This is as close as you can get to 70cc power in a little 50cc saw. They really are just that strong.

So, to all of us 346XP lovers, don't count out the competition:clap:

BTW, I've been waiting all day on it to quit raining long enough to get this thing in wood. I needed to tune it, and wanted to get a video of it. I'll have it headed back to it's home on Monday.

[video=youtube_share;yhrZd5urbI4]http://youtu.be/yhrZd5urbI4[/video]

The MS261 is out mainly because of handling (and partly weight and bulk), + reportedly sluggish trigger responce - and not because it is lacking power. :msp_wink:

The MS261 is out mainly because of handling (and partly weight and bulk), + reportedly sluggish trigger responce - and not because it is lacking power. :msp_wink:

Did you notice the throttle response of this saw? It lacks NOTHING! And, there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with the handling of this saw. You're grabbing at straws trying to suggest anything else. BTW, you're still my friend:)

I'll stick with the Husky.

Lighter,cheaper,no flippy caps, Stihl-o-Matic can't handle one.

Lighter,cheaper,no flippy caps, Stihl-o-Matic can't handle one.

If I had a bias it'd be towards the Husky sibling to my Jred, but in fairness the Stihl offers better filtration, better fuel mileage, captive bar nuts and in all honesty probably slightly better build quality - plus no kickstand needed. :taped:

Did you notice the throttle response of this saw? It lacks NOTHING! And, there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with the handling of this saw. You're grabbing at straws trying to suggest anything else. BTW, you're still my friend:)

I assume that saw isn't stock :msp_biggrin:, and the difference in handling (when limbing etc) should be pretty obvious to most people. Surely the 261 is a nice saw, but it just isn't what a 50cc saw should be.

This issue will soon fade away.

The 346XP versus MS261 debate will become irrelevant once the 550xp is available. I can't see anyone preferring either saw to the 550xp.

(ducking for cover) :soldier:

Doug

It's funny, I tend to favor Stihl over Husky a little and for no tangible reason. That being said I have never run a 261, mostly because I like my 346 so much and don't know anyone locally that runs a 261. I used my 346 all day yesterday to clear a bunch of black locust and it is still such a joy to run, it is stock with a muffler mod and it is just such an angry little saw!

I'm going to give this 2153 10 tanks to impress me. If not i'm going to try a 261 next. The torque is what I miss with it. I don't care how good it goes through 1" limbs. I don't cut anything smaller than that for firewood any way. I wish I could have made it to jeremys to run several of those so I could see if its going to turn out alright.

I'm going to give this 2153 10 tanks to impress me. If not i'm going to try a 261 next. The torque is what I miss with it. I don't care how good it goes through 1" limbs. I don't cut anything smaller than that for firewood any way. I wish I could have made it to jeremys to run several of those so I could see if its going to turn out alright.

It took my new 346 exactly 11 tanks to impress me. Just sayin...

PS, I was already impress with the old one. :msp_smile:

HMMM; got a phone call this morning im doing a MM on a Husky 266 :)

Where do you have it tuned on the high end? I was impressed with mine right out of the box, with a muffler mod. I broke it in on frozen hardwood. I know I'll probably start an arguement here, but, if you don't already have .325 on it, try it.

That saw is bad fast . Who'd ever imagine a 50cc saw pulling a 20" bar through 16" wood in what , 8 seconds ? Brilliant !!!
I really need to port my 346oe .

Brad , should I advance the ign. timing 1/2 a key on my xp ? (93 oct. of course)
Run a colder plug ? Assuming I'm widening the ports and eliminating the base gasket .
Don't think I want to alter port timing ...... Yet :givebeer:

That saw is bad fast . Who'd ever imagine a 50cc saw pulling a 20" bar through 16" wood in what , 8 seconds ? Brilliant !!!
I really need to port my 346oe .

Brad , should I advance the ign. timing 1/2 a key on my xp ? (93 oct. of course)
Run a colder plug ? Assuming I'm widening the ports and eliminating the base gasket .
Don't think I want to alter port timing ...... Yet :givebeer:

Port timing and width is where it's at. I've never messed with the ignition timing on a 346.

I don't get the bad handling people speak of. I know it's personal preference so I won't argue about it. But after I got to handle one (261) I thought it felt great in my hands. Didnt feel any heavier than a 346 to me and it balanced great with the 18" bar it had on it. If I bought a new 50cc saw today, it would be the 261.

Back