346xp vs. 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 261c ported is the perfect all around firewood saw for small to medium trees. A ported 346 is ultimate screaming screaming limbing saw. The 261 is like a handy small pickup truck that works perfectly for it intended use. The 346 is like driving an exciting race car....just plain fun when limbing. The 550 may actually handle even better but just ever so less exciting that a perfectly tuned and ported 346.

The issue with the 261 is that it feels like a larger saw than 50cc, despite that is what it is. If you are just blocking firewood logs in the yard it isn't much of an issue, but it surely will be if you take it into the woods.

The MS261 simply isn't what a 50cc saw should be - large, inboard clutch and a little heavy makes it irrelevant in that class, imo. Slow at revving up as well, unless it is modded.

I have a mastermind built 261 c and I would bet that a 346 or 550 wont pull 3/8 chain (18"-20") as good as the 261 does. I use mine like a 70cc saw. Blocking up large diameter stuff. Them 346s are very nimble though.

I know I poke fun at the balance but they are a great saw, very waveable and responsive. It IS the one most likely to roll out the truck box on a slope though, must be eager to get working

if you want a saw that sits well get the stihl

Yeah that's one of my main criteria when I pick out a saw, "Gee how well does it sit on the ground". Of course one big benefit of Stihls is they can also double as a boat anchor in a pinch.

The 261c is anything but slow revving. The m tronic in combination with randy.port work make it extremely fast revving. My 346 is a little more maneuverable though.

Well, and the 2153 is the same as the NE346xp.

I can make any 346XP into a beast, punching way above it's weight class, but........the Stihl is just a better saw for the sort of cutting I do.

Every 346XP I've ever owned has been sold or traded within a few months......they just don't suit me. I hate the small bar mount too.

I can make any 346XP into a beast, punching way above it's weight class, but........the Stihl is just a better saw for the sort of cutting I do.

Every 346XP I've ever owned has been sold or traded within a few months......they just don't suit me. I hate the small bar mount too.
There ya go, personal preference is what it is all about.

The 261 is the size of a 359/357xp and I don't want that in a 50cc saw. I like the size/weight of the 260 better.

The 346xp suits me perfect!

Stock my 346 pulled a 18" 3/8 with no problem, now that it is modded it is just about perfect for the saw. I really liked the 261 but for the weight and bulkyness of the saw my 562 actually felt smaller so why would I not cut with the 562? Fuel usage was about the same both excellent, so a easy choice for me. As far as the 346 falling over, the only time you should set it down is when it is out of fuel/oil!!! So that should not be a issue. The outboard clutch? Yea really dumb idea. My only real complaint about the saw along with the small bar mount. CJ

Which is better and why?

Depends what you're using it for. Bigger limbs & climbing saw: 346xp; smaller limbs/softwood: 026/260 pro. The 261 is fast but you start to feel the weight/handling difference after a few hours. Sometimes there is such a thing as too much power for limbing and you end up blipping the throttle constantly to avoid over-revving the motor.

Last edited:
In stock form they don't rev nearly as quickly.
Is the C as slow of a rever as the regualr 261 stock?
Yeah that's one of my main criteria when I pick out a saw, "Gee how well does it sit on the ground". Of course one big benefit of Stihls is they can also double as a boat anchor in a pinch.

It's not of big deal if you are use to it and pay attention to where and how you set it down. Could take a ride down a hill or get run over.

I read somewhere that Husqvarna made the first attempt at auto-diagnosis with the 346xp. They were specifically designed to roll onto their side, when set down, as an automatic air leak indicator. Quite ingenious when you think about it. Be thankful the 346 has this feature, instead of complaining - it has probably saved countless chainsaws from self destruction. I also read that due to Obamacare,they are working on anti-kick back Kevlar air bags for Wild Thing, Earthquake and Poulan chainsaws. I saw this on the the internet so it must be true.:D

The 026 handles just as well, and the stock 346OE lacks top end torque but revs qiucker. A 026 will hold more rpm in the wood with a 16" bar buried. NE has it no question.
That is what impressed me most about the 026, no matter how deep I buried the bar it never slowed down, I started this thread after seeing a 346 in the trading post and have always wanted one, but think I will stick to the two 50cc saws I already have, thanks for the input.

I have a mastermind built 261 c and I would bet that a 346 or 550 wont pull 3/8 chain (18"-20") as good as the 261 does. I use mine like a 70cc saw. Blocking up large diameter stuff. Them 346s are very nimble though.

:ices_rofl:
The 2153 in my sig that has a 550xp, 261, 2253, and 261cm under it's belt wears 3/8s only. Those vids are avail for viewing on the builders youtube channel. :chop:

You must have run a bad OE346. The ones I've run would run circles around a 026.
I've run plenty of good ones, in both colors. The OE has more of a peaky powerband, this makes it very easy to fall out of in cuts over 14" or so. The 346OE stock is a great limbing, small wood saw stock, but it can be so much more with a little work without sacraficing it's oringinal atributes.

I have been using an o26 for quite a while and thought performance was just ok. It did what I needed and very reliable but nothing to get excited about.

When I got my first 346xp ne I figured it would be similar in performance to my 026...the difference in performance was night and day different. The 346 just blows it away performance wise. The outboards clutch takes some getting used to but I really like the no tool air filter setup.

The 026 isn't a barn burner but it's a really good saw. Small, light weight, and easy to work on. The parts are pretty cheap and you can find them anywhere.

The 346xp are a little more complicated to work on but not by a lot. All in all it's up to you to choose which suits you better, either will do the job. Just one will do it quicker.

Latest posts

Back