Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
i went to the dealer cuse my baby 142 died (still under warranty) si i asked him abiut the 346's and he sadi the same as i been hearing here. he also suggested that i look at the too he said its really a pro caliber saw it just dosent have a xp to the name. he also said it uses alot of the same parts but had a dif jug and piston it was 52cc i believe. he stated that the 353 is a more forgiving saw then the 346 is and that sometimes guys burn up the 346 if they dont work the sweet spot right. in hios opinion the saw was a great saw but that i should really think about the 353 since im not cutting all day everyday.

what do you guys think? he didnt have on on assembled. ill check if hes got one when i pickup my 142 maybe tomorrow.

im just a firewood cutter but i plan to get at least 2 top quality saws before the demise in 2010.

If you get a 346xp with a 16inch bar you won't pick up your other saws. It is a great saw you would love it.

Scott

i was talking to him alot about the 346 he also said he didnt have any that wernt e-tec :cry: so if he cant get me a non e tec one ill have to go elseware. im not gonna buy a muffler for a new saw if in dont have to. ive alnost got my mind made up for my 2 saws 346xp ne and the 372xp. im just doing all my homework first and weighing all options. i dont wanna go in blind like i did when i started doing firewood.

buy the muffler.

i was talking to him alot about the 346 he also said he didnt have any that wernt e-tec :cry: so if he cant get me a non e tec one ill have to go elseware. im not gonna buy a muffler for a new saw if in dont have to. ive alnost got my mind made up for my 2 saws 346xp ne and the 372xp. im just doing all my homework first and weighing all options. i dont wanna go in blind like i did when i started doing firewood.

it will prolong the life of the saw.chances are you won't get one with a non cat muffler.

I have both the 353 and the 346NE. The power difference is bigger than I first thought. It must be said that that my 353 still has the CAT muffler and the 346 doesn't. For the few dollars you pay for your saws over there I would simply go for the best: 346 XP New Edition and change to a non-cat muffler.

Oterwise, almost identical saws, same saw body, almost same weight, same controls ... Can't go wrong with either one. It will be a huge upgrade from you 142.

if he cant get me a non e tec one ill have to go elseware. im not gonna buy a muffler for a new saw if in dont have to.

good luck trying to find one, chances are not good as all they are supposed to sell is e-tec, its just the price you have to pay for the best 50cc saw ever made.

to me the 353 is not worth the price compared to the 346 unless you could get it for likes less than $350.

:cheers:

The price difference from 353 to 346xp is roughly $60. I would bet that both have CAT mufflers on them, so both would need that changed. If you're the type to second guess, spend the extra and get the 346xp and be done with it.

I just picked up a used 353, non cat, and would like to run it side-by-side with my lightly used 026 and 346xp non cat.

call me a w*****. i bet he had a 353 on the shelf and not a 346

i cant imagine any other reason why he would point you at a 353 when you walked in wanting a 346

tell him to blow goats and demand a 346

Well, he's right, the 353 is more forgiving. Since it's not as specialized towards high revs as the 346, it's easier to keep it in it's preferred power band - more forgiving.

This was of course more obvious with the older 346.

HUSKY55RANCHER
Go with the 346ne if you can get it. I have a 353 and love it but had to get it modded to the tune of 200$ to get it to perform like the ne as I understand it. You can buy a modded muffler for about $50 or a non-e-tech for less. The 353 is a pro grade saw but you'll get more bang for your buck with a 346ne
Thanks greg

i went to the dealer cuse my baby 142 died (still under warranty) si i asked him abiut the 346's and he sadi the same as i been hearing here. he also suggested that i look at the too he said its really a pro caliber saw it just dosent have a xp to the name. he also said it uses alot of the same parts but had a dif jug and piston it was 52cc i believe. he stated that the 353 is a more forgiving saw then the 346 is and that sometimes guys burn up the 346 if they dont work the sweet spot right. in hios opinion the saw was a great saw but that i should really think about the 353 since im not cutting all day everyday.

what do you guys think? he didnt have on on assembled. ill check if hes got one when i pickup my 142 maybe tomorrow.

im just a firewood cutter but i plan to get at least 2 top quality saws before the demise in 2010.

What's happening in 2010?

.... he stated that the 353 is a more forgiving saw then the 346 is and that sometimes guys burn up the 346 if they dont work the sweet spot right. in hios opinion the saw was a great saw but that i should really think about the 353 since im not cutting all day everyday. ....

He might have been right if the 346xp was the ol' 45cc one, but with the NE 50cc 346xp, there is no doubt - forget the 353 (I have both, and my 353 is by now my "loaner saw" - I don't use it at all........:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Well, he's right, the 353 is more forgiving. Since it's not as specialized towards high revs as the 346, it's easier to keep it in it's preferred power band - more forgiving.

This was of course more obvious with the older 346.

The 353 is a complete dud, compared to the NE346xp - whatever rpm range you are in.........:givebeer:

Last edited:
Back