357 vs 372?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoover

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am new to the site and appreciate the opinions of you guys that have much more experience with saws than me. My question is this: I have a 340 and 455 Rancher and I need a bigger faster saw. Looking at the 357xp or 372 xp is it worth the extra $ for the 372?

Hold the train for a minute, the poor man hasn't even told us exactly what he plans to do with this bigger saw.

Hoover, what are you going to be cutting with the bigger faster saw and how often will you use it?

Welcome to the site!

Do you want a little more saw than your 455, or a goodly bit more saw? That's really the question to ask. The 357xp is a nice saw, to be sure, but it isn't going to be that much more of a saw than the 455, in terms of seat-of-the-pants feel. The 372 will be noticeably more powerful and only a hair heavier or more bulky than the 455. And any increase in cost for the 372 over the 357 will be made back when you sell the 455, because you won't want to use it anymore.

A 340 and 372 combo will be a nice two-saw setup.

Thanks for the info...and good question as to what my plans are. I sell firewood - appx 12-15 cords already this yr since Aug. I can easily see that going up in 2010, :clap: which is one of the reasons I am looking at a faster saw. The 340 is good for the small stuff, I like my 455 (I have both a 16" and 20" bar for it) it is a decent powered saw, but it just isnt fast enough for bigger stuff. I cut primarily hardwoods, and have a pretty good supply of it, yet have a hard time getting into larger (24"+) trees w my 455.

Since my volume has grown, my time has become another factor in this decision & I need something faster. I am leaning toward the 372xp due to what I have read about it, the power to weight ratio of the saw, ability to handle a bigger bar (I want a 20" & am looking to get a 32" for it) having a saw that is going to cut a lot of wood and simply the most bang for my buck.
I want/need at least a 357, but does a 385 or 395 warrant a part of this conv? I'm open...

I have been very happy w my Husky's, but am open to other options from Stihl or others.
Thoughts? recommendations? Thanks all !!

my brother has got a 357xp he uses to cut firewood. i have ran it a little and it is a firewood cutting monster.

it is a big jump from the 455 to the 357xp and a flying leap to get where that 372xp is in power.

the 372 is a power house and the 357 is a power house for its size.

if your cutting a lot of big wood go for the 372.

the 357 is also a fine saw and has plenty of power for most uses but it is a tad small for cutting saw logs. the one to get really depends on how much power you need and the size of the trees your wanting to cut.

they are both fine saws. edit --since you posted 24 inch i would go with the 372xp and have a fairly long bar. the 357xp can pull a 20 pretty good but you most likely want a longer one.

Last edited:
If you are selling firewood and are cutting trees 24"+, I would say the 372 might be the saw for you. And yes, the 455 might end up not being needed.

390-395? I would say those might be a tad too much unless you plan to be in 24"+ wood all day, day after day.

Dolmar 7900?

Wasn't on the list, but...it's an awesome firewood saw.

Dolmar_7900_Spruce.jpg

To the OP: How are you getting your firewood and what size are the logs, generally? If you're treking around in the woods and blocking as you go, that's one thing, but if you're cutting logs in a yard, then that's another. If I was getting logs delivered, a Stihl 066-20"/28" or Husqvarna 390 similarly equipped would be ideal. If I was seriously going to be cutting 24"+ logs on a regular basis, the 357xp would be out.

A couple quick minutes with the 7900, and this load was ready to go:
Log_JeepMedium.jpg

Nice! What size bar is on that Dolmar?
It's a combo of both going into the woods and having logs dropped off in my yard - which is one reason I don't think I want one bigger than a 372 (for now, until I get my pipes built up! lol) Generally, the size is 12-20" logs.

Well the difference between the two saws is 15cc's. Divide the 15 by 2 and add that total to the 357 and you'll get..... the 365 Special.

For all the money you looking at spending, think about the Jonsered 2171.

my brother has got a 357xp he uses to cut firewood. i have ran it a little and it is a firewood cutting monster.

it is a big jump from the 455 to the 357xp and a flying leap to get where that 372xp is in power.

the 372 is a power house and the 357 is a power house for its size.

if your cutting a lot of big wood go for the 372.

the 357 is also a fine saw and has plenty of power for most uses but it is a tad small for cutting saw logs. the one to get really depends on how much power you need and the size of the trees your wanting to cut.

they are both fine saws. edit --since you posted 24 inch i would go with the 372xp and have a fairly long bar. the 357xp can pull a 20 pretty good but you most likely want a longer one.

:agree2: Owning both 357xp and 372xp I would say go for the 372 with wood that size. The 357 can handle it but the 372 can do it with ease - I just think a 28" bar would be the longest I would use on it.

up here the 2171 is pretty much the same price as the 372... $1 kilobill each.

I bought a dealer rebuilt 372xpg (less then half price of new) that I don't need cause I got infected with CAD and we don't have a clinic up here anymore...

I also got a 365 (recently sold my other one) that I was gonna drop a ported 372cyl on it... but I can tell you that many 365's are cutting firewood up here. although we have few trees over 20" anymore. the other favorite firewood/post cutter saw is the 55.... no one likes the 455... Seems to be a problem trying to start them after they been run for a bit, and then set out in the cold. cutters have told me they now leave them in their trucks when not using 'em.... doesn't sound quite right to me, but hey... these guys make a living from them.

Nice! What size bar is on that Dolmar?
It's a combo of both going into the woods and having logs dropped off in my yard - which is one reason I don't think I want one bigger than a 372 (for now, until I get my pipes built up! lol) Generally, the size is 12-20" logs.

28" is pictured above, this is 20":

resized_6401_7900_01a.jpg

Husqvarna 372, Stihl 441/460, Dolmar 7900, Solo 681, any of these would be a good choice and a meaningful step up from what you've got now. 20" bar for smaller stuff, 28" for bigger stuff or for those times you want to avoid bending as much. I figure I could do all my cutting with a 7900 and a good top-handle saw, if I had to.

Just don't expect most 70-80cc saws to pull really long bars well:

Mad_Bar.jpg

you cant go wrong with any saw makers 70cc saw. my favorites are the 440 first then the 372. id like to try 7900 someday. or big bored 6401

i have both the 440 and 372 and they are fine firewood saws in big. mine are both ported and wear 28" bars and some times run my 32". i kinda like limbing with the 32.

i sale firewood the same as you. i sualy go the mtn with 3 saws 2 70cc and one 50cc. i like haveing to 70cc saws because if one quits or i fall tree on it or something then the other can take its place..

good look and happy sawing

Latest posts

Back