357xp, a good first chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should check to see if the 357xp your dealer has is a newly manufactured one with a manual decomp. button. They have just switched over from the auto-decomp., and I read here of problems with that. Amick's, a sponsor here, has confirmed that his new shipment is:rock: made in 2006 with manual decomp.
(I just got one and am happy with it so far)http://new.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/rock.gif
:rock:

SawTroll said:
As far as I know, it is right on the heals of the 357xp for torque, but not the MS361...........
ST, I thought Thall tested the 5100S and 361 and said the 5100 was right on the heels of the 361. Old and memory going, so could be wrong and just thought that in my ole mind if it serves me right..

Here it is

Da JEWEL 5100 and OLE TOM 361, PERFECT SAWS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having laid back for abit I've had a chance now to run the 5100 Dolmar(da Jewel) and the 361 Stihl(Ole Tom) for a bit. Got them both brand new out the box. No mods, no anything, pure stock chainsaws. Though I've known the 361 to be a great firewood saw for a long time I knew little about the 5100 Dolmar. After running them both for a bit its safe to say they are both fine firewood saws. Either one would please the average firewood cutter easily. Rated againist each other one would be hard pressed to find much fault with either one.

Both cut fine. Both are a pleasure to use. Both are smooth in the hand and easy to manage in the wood. Running them I notice the 5100 is quick, real quick. The 361 runs like a Stihl, in the wood and out the wood at the same pace. The 5100 flies into the cut and holds its speed very well. In small wood, 12-16inches I beleive the 5100 will cut right with, maybe a tad faster than the 361. However if you bury the bars on both the 361 comes out the bottom first as it well should being the bigger of the two saws. I've never run any saw that will outcut the 5100 cc for cc. For its size its one mean saw. A firewood cutter would be happy with either one, no question about it.

Some would ask well if I were to buy only one of the two which should I get. The answer is simple. Neither are suppose to be sold online or over at the box stores so whatever dealer you have nearest you is your answer. You can't go wrong with either of these two saws. I can vouch for the 361 as being probly one of the most durable and relaible saws there is hands down. Sold tons of them and I'm still waiting for one to come back for a repair. To date I've repaired exactly 0 361's, not one. The Dolmar on the other hand is to be a reliable and durable saw as well though I can't vouch for it owning it such a short period of time. I can say the man that sold it to me says he has had little to no trouble at all with the 5100's and I beleive him 100%. Though I'm a orange and white man through and through the 5100 has earned my respect and sits among 25 Stihls out in the shed. Having made the 441 the famous Prince its only fair and fitting I give the 5100 Dolmar and the 361 Stihl their fair share of fame too. No Husky's to make famous yet but maybe one day.

All in all anyone looking for that one good all around firewood saw either one of these saws would be a fine choice and would fill the bill. I'm certain Husky has a model in the 5100-361 class too but I've yet to try one of them. Husky users will have to speak up for them.

Ok boys we got two to fuss over this time, not just one. Ya want 6000 posts, bring it on, make my day punk!(Leopard hurry up, this is gonna be good)

Cut4fun said:
ST, I thought Thall tested the 5100S and 361 and said the 5100 was right on the heels of the 361. Old and memory going, so could be wrong and just thought that in my ole mind if it serves me right..

That is in small wood only, the 361 will "walk away" pretty fast in larger wood.......:yoyo: :yoyo:

That was comparing the 361 59cc to a 5100 51cc too. I would have put my 3750 stock 60cc against the stock 361 59cc anyday, up to a 18". Running the FC chain and 22" in 28" dry oak was a pull on it I admit.

Cut4fun said:

That is in small wood only, due to the high max rpms of the 5100S, - the 361 will "walk away" pretty fast in larger wood¨- after all, it does put out .5 kW more, and the max torque isn't quite comparable.......:yoyo: :yoyo:

bwalker said:
And a 357 will walk away from a 361 in any size wood.:cheers:

Well, I was talking about 5100 vs, 361, not 357xp vs. MS361........

...but I still don't think you are right - the 361 you had must have been a dud, made on an early monday morning........:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

....but I still like the pretty blunt way you are expessing your wiews......

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
SawTroll said:
Well, I was talking about 5100 vs, 361, not 357xp vs. MS361........

...but I still don't think you are right - the 361 you had must have been a dud, made on an early monday morning........:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

....but I still like the pretty blunt way you are expessing your wiews......

Ben only likes the green poulans for cutting...:cheers:

04ultra said:

The Witch have been conserned about you, she says, as she has't heard from you for a while, she suspected the storm had got you........:greenchainsaw:

04ultra said:

Not true, and some of the orange Huskys are far better than their Stihl counterparts, but far from all......:deadhorse: :deadhorse:

..the Poulan Pro 505 is also pretty good, wish I had one......

Have just brought a 357xp myself stopped running huskys 5 years ago becouse i had problems with reliability but thought it would be nice to try one again(missed the 262'xp's) the difference to me is huskys (apart from 3120) seem to rev up like they have a turbo in them and if your running chisel chain they will out cut stihls,on the other hand a stihl will have a fairly flat power band but are more reliable and last longer.

maybe as a first saw i would go with a husky rauncher or stihl 390,somthing with a larger cc and bigger bar that will cut all day long but not as snappy and less expensive as the 357?

matty f said:
Have just brought a 357xp myself stopped running huskys 5 years ago becouse i had problems with reliability but thought it would be nice to try one again(missed the 262'xp's) ....

Sorry that you missed the 262xp ( so did I) - one of the all time greats, I believe......:bang: :bang: :ices_rofl:

SawTroll said:
Sorry that you missed the 262xp ( so did I) - one of the all time greats, I believe......:bang: :bang: :ices_rofl:

YES IT WAS!!!!!

I wouldn't even think of the 390/455 option, for not much more money, he can have a saw tht will last at least twice as long, and cut faster!!!
Andy

sawinredneck said:
YES IT WAS!!!!!

I wouldn't even think of the 390/455 option, for not much more money, he can have a saw tht will last at least twice as long, and cut faster!!!
Andy

Depends on how much cutting your gonna do..seems pretty pointless to me to go buy the most expensive saw possible and only use it to cut fire wood a few times a year when a saw like the ms390 has the same power as the ms361,is cheaper and if the saws sharp you wont notice the difference

Thank you for all of the feedback! I am glad that I received some positive responses for the 357xp. I know that a lot of you point out that it is important to go with the best dealer, but I will be moving soon (so I won't be using that dealer very long). I decided to buy the 357 from Amick's with that $50 off. I think that I will be very happy with it and it should last me a long time! Who knows, I may end up with another chainsaw or two after I get this one broken in!

Cut4fun said:

I saw what he reported - that was only the case untill he hit the thicker parts of the log.......:biggrinbounce2:

Last edited:
Here you go fresh from Amick's. Bar and chain from Bailey's. Did not find too many Oregon B&C fans here. This is a 20" and it had no trouble at all burried in this Bay stump on the first tank.(I know, I would have gotten the 372 if I cut these stumps every day, this is homeowner activty)The power is impressive for only 56.5cc, same as the Farm Boss. (cuts nothing like a farm boss!)Was most amazed though at the end of the day to pull the cover and not find one speck of anything on the air filterhttp://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/givebeer.gif
:givebeer:

Pablo26, What air filter did your saw come with the flocked screen or a thin screen style, cant remember the names of each.

Just on a side note. at the fair this year in the stock saws 0-65cc class. I seen some stihl 361's, dolmar 6400's, one husky 357, and one green poulan 3750.

Top 5 places were.

1st dolmar 6400
2nd domar 6400
3rd dolmar 6400
4th dolmar 6400
5th poulan 3750

The husky DNF and all 361's were just to slow to place. This was in 10"x10" poplar 3 cuts hotstart saws on the ground. Nuff said IMO.

Back