357XP vs MS361 vs Dolmar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zombiechopper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm looking at stepping up to a professional quality midsized saw. I'm looking at 20" bar running safety chain in smallish elm and maple. Right now I own a Stihl MS170 and I'm not super impressed with all the plastic on it. I've borrowed lots of neighbors 50-60cc cheap junk saws that suck too.

So, Husky 357XP, Stihl 361 or what model Dolmar and WHY? Can you folks help me break down the reasoning for choosing one over the other? I live in the middle of no where so there is no dealer close by for any of these. I've only ever handled entry level saws and I need to know what features to compare on a pro saw. What does the extra money get me and how are these models and brands different in quality, durability, parts availablity etc. I have compared power and weight specs and I think any would work ok, but I need to know some details about these to help narrow things down.

Thanks,
Jeff
Saskathewan, Canada

The Dolmar 6400 is 64cc and makes more power than both but is heavier. The 357 and 361 are both good saws, go with your best dealer.

Just read the no dealer part, go with the 361....Intrested in a ported one?

Find a local dealer and hold all of the above mentioned saws, go with what saw feels best.
I have the jonsered version of the 357xp, which is the 2156. I have run it side by each with a 361. I believe that the 361 has a little more torque, but is a little slower in the cut. I prefer the choke assembly on the jred/husky over the stihl, but the internal clutch of the stihl makes chain/bar removal easier.
Both are excellent small to medium wood saws. What it really comes down to is dealer support and personal preference.
I have never ran any of the smaller dolmars so I cannot comment about them.

In regards to cost in the US the 361 is about $75 cheaper than the 357XP, also not sure about mail order availability for the husky or stihl but Baily's has the Makita(Dolmar) 6401 for about 550 USD.

357xp

I find that if you shop around you can find an ms 361 for around $560-$580. Prices on the 357xps are hangings around $670+ in my area. At the same time, you can easily find dealers who have 372xps for $700 flat. I know it's a smaller, lighter more nimble saw, but I would just find it difficult to fork out for the 357xp when the 372xp is so close.

Also, it is my understanding that the criticism against the 357xp (other than high price) is that the saw has a bit less torque than the 361. It seems as though the stratos are having more torque than their counterparts, so maybe its worth waiting for the introduction of the 357xp's strato successor.

In regards to cost in the US the 361 is about $75 cheaper than the 357XP, also not sure about mail order availability for the husky or stihl but Baily's has the Makita(Dolmar) 6401 for about 550 USD.

The home depot has the makitas new (if you look hard enough, depending on area) for $479 new. Might be worth stepping up to a 7300 or even a 7900 for the same weight.

(sorry, didn't see Canada).

Thanks Guys.

Power to weight is important to me so I think I'm going to rule out Dolmar. I keep hearing they are great saws but my back is Fubar. It's as good a reason as any to narrow things down a bit. Plus I just have a hunch I'll be able to get Stihl or Husky parts easier where I am.

The details like the 361 being easier to change bars are the kinds of nuggets of info that really help. Any other tidbits of info like that would be greatly appreciated.

I paid $650 Canadian for my 2156 in the start of feb. of this year. Myself I prefer the feel of the jred over the husky or stihl saws. Also the diff in torque and speed is really nominal.
I cant say enough good about the 2156 it does about 80% of my cutting now.

The home depot has the makitas new (if you look hard enough, depending on area) for $479 new. Might be worth stepping up to a 7300 or even a 7900 for the same weight.

(sorry, didn't see Canada).

I was in a Home Depot Rental Center today and those saws (6401) are over $500 now. $509 iirc?

+1

The 5100 is a very capable saw in stock form.

The porting on the cylinder is awesome.

According to funkysawman, the stock compression is 180-190.

Awesome combo for a stock saw in a small package that can bite BIG...

Forget the husky and Stihls. They are both great saws...if you want to pay that much for them.

I think the real question you need answered is what dolmar/makita do you want...a 5100 or a 7900. I have never used a 5100 but but I'm sure it's a beast for it's size. If you want the absolute best in performance/power, and value, get the 7900 and don't look back.

Forget the husky and Stihls. They are both great saws...if you want to pay that much for them.

I think the real question you need answered is what dolmar/makita do you want...a 5100 or a 7900. I have never used a 5100 but but I'm sure it's a beast for it's size. If you want the absolute best in performance/power, and value, get the 7900 and don't look back.

:agree2:

plus the dolmar parts are readily available on-line from either of two AS sponsors.

5100 12.1 lbs 3.9hp
7900 13.5 lbs 6.3hp

both have in-board clutches which make changing bars a little easier. i haven't run a 5100, but i have 2 7900s and they are super smooth.

Dolmar

I have a 6400 we ran for years, great saw takes a lot of abuse from everyone that uses it. Just bought another last week $500. out the door. Put a big bore set-up we made in shop on our old 6400, now it is our hot rod play saw, runnig a 38" modified Pro-Mac bar with .404-.063 skip chain, and expansion chamber from r.c. plane engine

Get an MS 361 while they are stihl available. Great saws. You will not regret it. They are going away after this year (362 is replacing it). Far more parts and shops available for Husky and Stihl. Parts will be available for both for years to come. Warantee work (if needed) can and will be done locally. I would avoid ordering saws online or having to get parts through the mail. Direct saw sales by dealers though the mail or online are prohibited by all three companies now.

Last edited:
Get an MS 361 while they are stihl available. You will not regret it. They are going away after this year (362 is replacing it). Far more parts and shops available for Husky and Stihl. Parts will be available for both for years to come. I would avoid ordering saws online or having to get parts through the mail.

he states there are no dealers of any of these close-by. i have some experience with on-line ordering of parts and it was nothing less than exceptional with the AS sponsor i ordered from.

Ok, there are dealers within driving distance, but they don't stock anything and I don't think they fix anything. We're talking small litttle rural hardware stores that can bring in a saw for you but they don't sell saws for a living. I can't look at any of these saws without buying it first and waiting for it to come in. I am leaning towards Stihl or Husky due to parts availability in the future as well as the far greater likelyhood of being able to find someone who knows how to work on them. I am probably going to buy from a shop in the city next time I'm there so I can handle each of them first.

If it is really between the 357xp and 361 get the one most comfortable in your hands, if you cannot handle them both get the one that is the least expensive. I have no experience with either but both get good reviews here. I sure would not pay much more for either one.

Latest posts

Back