357XP vs MS361 vs Dolmar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The local Dolmar dealer has the 5100 for $460(cdn), the 6400 for $560(cdn) and the 7900 for $770, that seems like a lot of saw for the money, the 260 goes for $620 and the 361 goes for $750. Doesn't seem like a tough choice to me.

I like all the saw models above and certainly don't favour one brand over the other. In Australia there is a big difference between Husky and Stihl pricing compared to Canada by the sounds of it. Husky is definately the cheaper option here compared to Stihl from the dealers I've been in to. Dolmar/Makitas cheaper again through some dealers.
There is no doubt both the Stihl 361 and Husky 357XP are the more powerful saw over the 5100-S but do you need it? If you intend to run a bar over 20" then maybe you do need to go to either the Stihl or Husky, but I'm not even sure a bar is listed over 20" for the 357XP?
As far as not hanging with either the Stihl or Husky, I beg to differ on bars up to 18" and probably 20". I reckon it'd leave both the Husky and Stihl behind in cutting speed - not as much low down torque though. I know that my 5100-S will keep up with my 7900 with hardwood up to 16" odd.

Last edited:
Canadian Prices:
361 $680 4.6hp 12.6#
346xp (45cc) $805
357xp $839.90 4.4hp 12.1#
5100S $457.00 3.9hp 11.2#
PS6400 $593.00 4.8hp 13.6#

Still can't decide.

Honest question: why is Husky so expensive? Is there a reason for the extra cost?

Those weight specs are not true;

361 12.3lbs
OE346xp 10.6 lbs
357xp 12.9 lbs
5100S 11.7 lbs
6400 14+ lbs

...is closer to the truth.

Toss-up between the 357 and 361. They're both great saws, flip a coin.

As to the 5100...it will not hang with either of the above, and all the ranting in the world from the Dolmar gang won't change that fact.

You got that right - but I did take the Stihl in that class, and still would!

Btw. the Canadian 361s don't have the same restricted muffler as the US ones.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but the 5100 is not 3.9 hp no matter what the specs say, the 359 prints the same hp and straight up destroys the 5100 in durability as well as performance. As far as the plastic on the stihls you can read and search all u want , there may be some guys that dont like the plsatic but you'll be hard pressed to find an actual failure. In fact find your local asplundh guy who is more than likely equipped with a 290 and 192 which are two saws loaded with plastic and they'll tell you how they get two years out of these saws. Actually most people on here tend to forget that plastic will flex as metal will dent and crack. Sorry but the plastic argument holds no water with me, in fact the plastic stihl stay much nicer looking than the pro stihls that chip and look like hell after a week.

I own both a 5100 and a modified 7900 so I have no desire for a 361 or 357.
For the money difference I wouldn’t consider a 361 when I could have the 7900.

If you are going to bury a 20’’ bar very much I would rule the 5100 out right off the bat!
It’s a great saw but in 20’’ wood I wouldn’t use it, because the time difference between my 7900.

But my needs are not the same as yours so this is what I would do if I were in your shoes.

I’m not a fan of outboard clutches myself so that would rule out the Husky for me.

Both the 361 and 357 would fit your needs well, I would buy the 361 if I were in your shoes. More than enough saw for 20’’ wood, lighter than the big Dolmar and if it will do what you need well why pack the extra weight.

Just my toughts.

I'm sorry but the 5100 is not 3.9 hp no matter what the specs say, the 359 prints the same hp and straight up destroys the 5100 in durability as well as performance. As far as the plastic on the stihls you can read and search all u want , there may be some guys that dont like the plsatic but you'll be hard pressed to find an actual failure. In fact find your local asplundh guy who is more than likely equipped with a 290 and 192 which are two saws loaded with plastic and they'll tell you how they get two years out of these saws. Actually most people on here tend to forget that plastic will flex as metal will dent and crack. Sorry but the plastic argument holds no water with me, in fact the plastic stihl stay much nicer looking than the pro stihls that chip and look like hell after a week.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you. Today I had the opportunity to run both the 359 and 5100. The Dolmar PS-5100 was the clear winner performance wise. And it's lighter and cheaper, too.
I used the exact same bar & chain on both saws. Same block of wood. Multiple cuts. The PS-5100s consistently came out about 3 seconds faster. Both saws in great shape. Granted, the 359 has a brand new top end, but it has a pretty good CC advantage over the 5100.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you. Today I had the opportunity to run both the 359 and 5100. The Dolmar PS-5100 was the clear winner performance wise. And it's lighter and cheaper, too.
I used the exact same bar & chain on both saws. Same block of wood. Multiple cuts. The PS-5100s consistently came out about 3 seconds faster. Both saws in great shape. Granted, the 359 has a brand new top end, but it has a pretty good CC advantage over the 5100.

I would love to see that because that is saying that the dolmar would hang with a 357 or a 361. Sorry but you run a 3/8 chain on a dolmar and it will not run with the 60cc class running 20" bars. No offense but of course your gonna say that being that you market them but in real world situations meaning we have to get this load out of here and there is no way a 5100 is the saw of choice.

I would love to see that because that is saying that the dolmar would hang with a 357 or a 361. Sorry but you run a 3/8 chain on a dolmar and it will not run with the 60cc class running 20" bars. No offense but of course your gonna say that being that you market them but in real world situations meaning we have to get this load out of here and there is no way a 5100 is the saw of choice.

Maybe it does...but for how long! Thats the real issue when trying to rationalise the hot rod 50 vs. a tried and true 60; either the 361 or 357.

Maybe it does...but for how long! Thats the real issue when trying to rationalise the hot rod 50 vs. a tried and true 60; either the 361 or 357.

Not very long! You give me a log 16" around and 20 ft long and I will beat the 5100 by 2 cuts. Maybe the 346 would be a closer comparisson than this crazy claim. Dolmar guys are getting as bad as stihl heads when it comes to being narrowminded!

I've run my jred 2156(husky 357) against Grandpatractor's 5100 quite frequently and he has beat me a few times with the 5100. Then there is times I can beat the 5100 fairly easy. Some people don't think a couple split seconds is worth $200 and a half LB more, some do. Can't go wrong with any of them.

There are alot of blown up 357 and 361's out there. You just said it yourself the 5100 is a hot rod! For $200 less around here. My 2156 sat in the corner til I got it ported. Now it runs like I want.:clap:

I draw the line 55 to 60 cc minimum for an all around saw with enough power to get through midsize and bigger hard hardwoods in a reasonable amount of time. I spent a lot of time behind 026's and 346's and I feel like that my time is much more productive with a step or 2 up unless I am cutting less then 6 inch diameter wood. Haven't used Husky 357 or 359's. Mabe 7 or 8 hours behind a 361 that was almost brand new. It was very smooth and comfortable but didn't feel as powerful as an 034. I believe with some break in time and a muffler mod it would wake up the power it has. The muffler outlets are ridiculously to small. That would be my choice of the 2 mainly because I just trust Stihls reliability factor much more based on my experiance. It does also seem their handles feel spaced better for handling when working front of me then most other model Husky and Dolmar made saws I used.

Not very long! You give me a log 16" around and 20 ft long and I will beat the 5100 by 2 cuts. Maybe the 346 would be a closer comparisson than this crazy claim. Dolmar guys are getting as bad as stihl heads when it comes to being narrowminded!

Have you ever run a 5100-S in 16" wood? Not trying to be smart, just asking. Also not sure what saw you'd plan to run against it as none of the previously mentioned saws are in your sig.
As I said earlier, my 5100-S will keep up with my 7900 not a problem and possibly even outcut it in wood up to 16" with 7 tooth sprockets - and thats in some very dead, Aussie Hardwood too - plus I've actually put them neck and neck with the exact same .050" semi chisel chain.
Its also not very sound to compare cc's with cc's. Its well known that the 5100-S punches way above its 50cc rating.
Maybe I've got a nutter of a 5100-S or a dull 7900 (I doubt it) but the Stihl 361 or Husky 359 must be WAY more powerful than their specs suggest (ie: more grunt than a 7900) if they'll flog a 5100-S in 16" wood, maybe 20" wood they will but in 16" wood I doubt it.
I can even do a video comparison of my 3120XP and 7900 with 17" bar against my 5100-S with 17" bar, both with 3/8" chain in 16" odd wood. I can near guarantee the 5100-S will beat the 3120XP and at least match the 7900. All I'm trying to say is that in small wood (16" wood is small in my book) bigger cc's don't mean squat (but it would if it was a 192T vs. a 660 I suppose!).
P.S. I like Stihls and own a 3120XP Husky so I'm certainly not biased as far as brands are concerned. I also believe that both the Stihl and Husky are excellent saws and would probably outlast the smaller Dolmar - just not by $200 worth. I'll be honest in saying that if all the saws were the same price I'd probably buy the Stihl, then the Dolmar, then the Husky. I also don't sell Dolmar or even have a local dealer.

Last edited:
As I said earlier, my 5100-S will keep up with my 7900 not a problem and possibly even outcut it in wood up to 16" with 7 tooth sprockets - and thats in some very dead, Aussie Hardwood too - plus I've actually put them neck and neck with the exact same .050" semi chisel and full chisel chain.
Its also not very sound to compare cc's with cc's. Its well known that the 5100-S punches way above its 50cc rating.

There has to be something wrong with the 7900. Or does 5100 - s mean super modified ?
No replacement for displacement...
I was considering a 5100 at 1 time but when I picked it up it just didn't feel comfortable. Aside from that it may be tops in the 50 cc class for power but I doubt it feels as powerful and fast through normal hardwood as a well tuned and broke in 361 or 357.
If I can get an stock 5100 for a normal price that keeps up with an normal7900 in 10 " Indiana hardwood I want 1 for bucking on the ground.:chainsaw:

There has to be something wrong with the 7900. Or does 5100 - s mean super modified ?
No replacement for displacement...
I was considering a 5100 at 1 time but when I picked it up it just didn't feel comfortable. Aside from that it may be tops in the 50 cc class for power but I doubt it feels as powerful and fast through normal hardwood as a well tuned and broke in 361 or 357.
If I can get an stock 5100 for a normal price that keeps up with an normal7900 in 10 " Indiana hardwood I want 1 for bucking on the ground.:chainsaw:

Both of my Dolmars are stock and running fine. When you're talking smaller wood there is a point where extra cc won't make any difference in cutting speed.
I doubt a 5100-S can keep up with the Stihl and Husky in larger wood with larger bars, but I do honestly believe that it will keep up and probably be faster in 16" wood or less.
My 5100-S sees a lot more use than I thought it would because when cutting up the smaller stuff it'll keep up with my 7900 and on stuff under 10" outcut it - same chain on both.
Another thing I should probably mention is that I mainly use semi chisel too. If people are using square or full chisel I suppose an 18" bar may be on the limit in some timbers but I've used Oregon LGX with no issues on some pretty tough hardwood.

I'm in the market for that size saw again, I've run the 361, nice saw. 346 & 357 are way over priced for what you get imop, you'd figure you'd be getting way more saw for what they want for them. The 5100 for the money is the best and you wood never need more but for an extra 100 to 140 go with the 6400, remember you can cut smaller tree's with a bigger saw but it's alot harder to cut larger tree's with smaller saw. And the 2 to 3 pounds difference isn't that bad. So if you jump up to the 60+ cc class between the 361 and 6400, I think the 6400 will come out on top price wise and cutting wise.
:cheers:

Both saws were running 18" bars with 3/8 chain. If I get around to it I'll run them again today, maybe take a vid.

Both saws were running 18" bars with 3/8 chain. If I get around to it I'll run them again today, maybe take a vid.

I would love to see a video then i'll believe it. And for the guy that ask previously if I ever ran a 5100 the answer is yes. We bought two of them, one with a 16" the other with 20" Both with 3/8. They were not reliable saws under daily use. I know that some guys have had good luck with theirs but many have not. As far as the saws go one came with.325 and once converted to 3/8 it was considerably slower, I also had a pair of 359's running 24" bars that pulled all day in any wood I put em in which is why I can't believe that the 5100 specs are true since the 20" was the limit on the 5100. I might buy the 18" bar thing in a cut or two but like I said in real world condition cutting the torque of a 359 or 357,361 is gonna change the outcome. Heck my 211 is faster in a quick cut than my 660 but not for long, once the wood density changes so does the cutting times.

Sorry, but if so, that comparison tells us nothing at all.....:greenchainsaw:

Back