357XP vs MS361 vs Dolmar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you have your #'s wrong. the 7900's are about a 1.3lbs heavier than the 361, and probably a little more expensive. but there is no comparison in the cut speed. 2 hp difference is tough to overcome.

Your right, don't know what I was looking at but I payed 650 for my 7900 so compared to 620 for the Stihl at my local dealer the extra lb would not be an issue IMO

I ordered a 357XP.

here is why:

<snip>

2. The Dolmars seem slightly lower quality than Husky and Stihl based on a lot of reading I have been doing all over the net. I'm sure they are fantastic saws for the money, but I am looking at maximum durability and longevity. I would rather pay a little more for it. The prices they go for are excellent but i just can't believe they are equally as good as a Husky or Stihl and be 200 hundred dollars cheaper. I could be wrong as hell on this but this is the general conclusion I've come to after reading everything I can find on the topic.

<snip>

You must have skipped the recent Stihl cylinder threads.....:monkey:

You must have skipped the recent Stihl cylinder threads.....:monkey:

Those cylinder threads mean squat! the only reason that theres no dolmar cylinder threads is none can find a dealer to get one or they found one and ran a tank of gas through it and don't wanna show what it looks like after.... This should get a response! Either way I haven't torn a husky or stihl apart simply because I haven't had one fail...

I ordered a 357XP.

here is why:

1. My local (which is over an hour away) Stihl dealer is a John Deere combine dealership. They don't fix saws there at all. They don't even test run a new saw before selling it to you.

2. The Dolmars seem slightly lower quality than Husky and Stihl based on a lot of reading I have been doing all over the net. I'm sure they are fantastic saws for the money, but I am looking at maximum durability and longevity. I would rather pay a little more for it. The prices they go for are excellent but i just can't believe they are equally as good as a Husky or Stihl and be 200 hundred dollars cheaper. I could be wrong as hell on this but this is the general conclusion I've come to after reading everything I can find on the topic.

3. My back is f%cked. I severely tore a bunch of muscles five years ago and its never been the same. I need a small nimble saw that won't fatigue me. I need ergonomic, I need low vibration. I also like the better intake system on the Husky and the outboard clutch seems like a complete non issue after I watched a video of someone changing a bar and chain. It looked easy as pie.

So that's why I chose what I did. Thanks for all the help Boys.

Your not wrong but yes you are. Some guys on here have good dolmars and some haven't. It's a chainsaw cointoss!

I'm looking at stepping up to a professional quality midsized saw. I'm looking at 20" bar running safety chain in smallish elm and maple. Right now I own a Stihl MS170 and I'm not super impressed with all the plastic on it. I've borrowed lots of neighbors 50-60cc cheap junk saws that suck too.

So, Husky 357XP, Stihl 361 or what model Dolmar and WHY? Can you folks help me break down the reasoning for choosing one over the other? I live in the middle of no where so there is no dealer close by for any of these. I've only ever handled entry level saws and I need to know what features to compare on a pro saw. What does the extra money get me and how are these models and brands different in quality, durability, parts availablity etc. I have compared power and weight specs and I think any would work ok, but I need to know some details about these to help narrow things down.

Thanks,
Jeff
Saskathewan, Canada

I think it will boil down to what YOU want. Perhaps the caps ought to be on WANT. Somehow, you need to find some way to handle pro saws and see if the difference you expect is what exists. If you're unhappy with the plasticky quality of your MS 170 it's possible that you'll be unhappy with pro saws as well. My MS 361 has a magnesium case, but otherwise it's kinda plasticky, too.

You say you cut smallish elm and maple -- how small? Do you really need even a 20" bar? Are you unhappy with how the MS170 performs? You say you have back issues. A MS361 is powerful for its weight, but is quite a bit heavier than the MS170. If you're put off by the difference in weight between the Dolmar and the Stihl, you're likely to find the increase in weight with a nearly 60cc saw to be not worth the extra power that you don't really need for small wood. Maybe a 346xp or a MS260 would be better if you want to stick with pro models.

With a pro saw you can expect a certain satisfaction in knowing that you have a pro saw, but unless you cut a LOT you're unlikely to take advantage of the main feature that differentiates pro saws from homeowner saws: ease of repair and rebuild. You can expect a higher power to weight ratio, but you can negate that by buying a saw that is too big, and may never fully appreciate it if the wood you cut is all small and all you run is safety chain.

I'm all for toys, and if you want/can afford something nicer, good on ya, you don't need another reason. It would be nice if you had the opportunity to handle some pro saws just to make sure the difference is all you think. I like my MS361 a lot, but I can't "feel" its magnesium case, and if all I had to cut was, say, 12" and under, I doubt I'd have it. I'd probably have a MS 260, though. An inboard clutch is a great convenience when changing chains, and especially when changing sprockets. There was a long thread here recently about the rear handle M200, that might be an option if money is no object and you want to splurge. I don't own one, but I've seen the M200t in action a lot, and it's one great sounding saw that punches way over its weight.

Having said all that, no dealer nearby for any brand complicates thing a bit, in my view. Good dealer support is the primary reason I bought my MS361 new. You might check out the thread on the Ryobi 10532, which is said to be a rebadged Redmax. I'm impressed with my Redmax G621AV, and it appears that the 10532 has many of the features of a pro saw. I just ordered one of the remanufactured ones, $112 to my door. At that price, a little curiosity won't kill me.

Jack

Whoops, just saw above that you ordered the Husqy. Never mind. : )

Last edited:
You won't regret it. My father has a 357XP that I just rebuilt the carb on for him. That things has such high RPM's it like driving a 750 Ninja in 2nd gear at 70 mph at 13000 rpms. My father swears with a 16" bar on it it will go throw wood twice as fast as with a 20" (he has both). I own a 362XP and that 357XP will smoke it easy. enjoy.:cheers:

I agree on the 16" bar - but something must be wrong with your 362xp, unless you compared them in very small wood......

I think it will boil down to what YOU want. Perhaps the caps ought to be on WANT.

You are completely right. I am not a professional. This new saw is a toy for me as much as it is a tool. I'd rather have a new saw than a dirtbike or a new rifle.

The other very important reasons I chose Husky:

1) They sound way better than a Stihl at idle. I've watched every you tube vid available for these brands. Husky sounds way better. They also sound better on Axmen episodes. Must be the air injection thing.

2) They look better. That orange is awesome.

So there you have it. The dirty secret is out. I picked Husqvarna over Stihl because it sounds better at idle!

You are completely right. I am not a professional. This new saw is a toy for me as much as it is a tool. I'd rather have a new saw than a dirtbike or a new rifle.

The other very important reasons I chose Husky:

1) They sound way better than a Stihl at idle. I've watched every you tube vid available for these brands. Husky sounds way better. They also sound better on Axmen episodes. Must be the air injection thing.

2) They look better. That orange is awesome.

So there you have it. The dirty secret is out. I picked Husqvarna over Stihl because it sounds better at idle!

Not a thing wrong with husky. Give me a logging camp and only one saw and either on would be orange. Thats pretty much why over dramatized shows like ax men use them, oh and jon serhusky. Point being if wou went bright orange you did fine. Also im pretty sure they didn't switch saws when the cameras showed up!

357xp is a whole different animal when it breaks in.

a lot like the 346 NE.i bought a 357 a couple years ago.it was a great saw.i heard all the hype about the 361 so i sold it and bought the Stihl.the 361 is sold and the new 357 should come in at the local dealer any day.back to what works without the hype.

a lot like the 346 NE.i bought a 357 a couple years ago.it was a great saw.i heard all the hype about the 361 so i sold it and bought the Stihl.the 361 is sold and the new 357 should come in at the local dealer any day.back to what works without the hype.

:agree2: I have been nothing but impressed with my 2156 (357). I personally think I could possibly own the perfect 2 saw plan, 2156 for 18" and smaller and the 395xp for anything bigger. GET-R-DONE:givebeer::rock:

That's what I have been saying the 357XP is truly a great saw.

i really don't get the Dilmar 5100.

the air filter is a joke.it doesn't have the same nut as a properly tuned 346xp NE.i even have 3/8 chain and my buddy has .325.either he got a leamon or i got a magic 346.the 346 feels better too.i think it was worth the extra 80 bucks.

my buddy with the 5100 wouldn't put my 346 down saturday.i kept watching him go for the Husky even though the Dilmar was right next to it.he even commented it was a nicer saw all around.he has a 7900 also but grabs my 372xp when it's ava:greenchainsaw:ilable.my chain must be sharper.

Back