359, 61 or MS 360?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruaraidh

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, I am totally new to this forum, and writing from Botswana.

The availability of saws here is not as great as in more developed (and more forested) countries, and some of the newer models have not made it here.

Anyway, for felling and bucking the biggest trees I am likely to tackle are in the 80cm range (hardwood), because we like to keep anything that has managed to grow bigger in this climate! There's clearing of smaller stuff to be done as well.

Actually available in country are the Husky 359 and 61, and the Stihl MS 360. THe 361 has not made it to Southern Africa yet.

I was thinking of having two bars, 15" and 18", or max 20".

Any suggestions as to the saws available and the chain / bar setup?

Thanks for your time.

The availability of saws here is not as great as in more developed (and more forested) countries, and some of the newer models have not made it here.

Anyway, for felling and bucking the biggest trees I am likely to tackle are in the 80cm range (hardwood), because we like to keep anything that has managed to grow bigger in this climate! There's clearing of smaller stuff to be done as well.

Actually available in country are the Husky 359 and 61, and the Stihl MS 360. THe 361 has not made it to Southern Africa yet.

Thanks for your time.

The 359 and 360 are more modern, and the 61 is based on a larger platform. I would guess the 359 would have the best av and air filtration, and the 360 would cut a tad bit faster, those would be the tradeoffs between the better 2 of the 3.

Thanks,

There is only one dealer in Gabs and they sell both brands, though they are new to Husky. I don't expect that service levels will be quite as they are elsewhere, but since there is no choice, there's nothing much I can do about it.. The next nearest dealer is 4.5 hours drive away!

Thanks for your time.

Welcome to AS! :cheers:

15 and 18" is what I have for my 361 - good combo!

Looks like MS 360 - Bars and Chain?

Thanks Sawtroll - the smallest XP models in Southern Africa seem to be the 272 and the 372, and they are beyond what I need, and beyond what I am prepared to pay. FOr whatever reason the Huskies are more expensive than Stihl, e.g. 359 costs more than the MS 360. So it looks like it will be the MS 360.

As to the bar and chain, 15" and 18" will suffice: is the Rollomatic E the logical choice? What about chain?

:cheers:

Thanks,

There is only one dealer in Gabs and they sell both brands, though they are new to Husky. I don't expect that service levels will be quite as they are elsewhere, but since there is no choice, there's nothing much I can do about it.. The next nearest dealer is 4.5 hours drive away!

Well since he is new to Husky you may want to go for the Stihl. 4.5 hrs is alot of Lion country to go thru for repairs.

If my conversion is correct 30 cm would be about 31.5 inches. That's really too much tree for a 359. I can't speak for the other two saws because I haven't ran them. The 359 would cut them but it would be no easy task. A 31.5" hardwood tree is 372 territory.

Welcome to AS and good luck with your choice.

if you get the 360 open up the muffler and richen up the carb abit, it'll make a HUGE difference....
i run a 25" b/c with 8 pin on mine, pulls it no problem.....
oh, and, keep chains sharp !!!

Thanks Sawtroll - the smallest XP models in Southern Africa seem to be the 272 and the 372, and they are beyond what I need, and beyond what I am prepared to pay. FOr whatever reason the Huskies are more expensive than Stihl, e.g. 359 costs more than the MS 360. So it looks like it will be the MS 360.

As to the bar and chain, 15" and 18" will suffice: is the Rollomatic E the logical choice? What about chain?

Stihl RS/RSC for clean wood, and RM/RMC for dirty wood.

Btw, I probably will replace my 15" bar with a 16" one when it is worn out (doesn't happen soon with Stihl bars).

Rollomatic E works great for me - RS is better, but also heavier and more expensive - just make sure you don't use the bar as a pry-bar :jawdrop:.

Btw, I probably will replace my 15" bar with a 16" one when it is worn out (doesn't happen soon with Stihl bars).

Rollomatic E works great for me - RS is better, but also heavier and more expensive - just make sure you don't use the bar as a pry-bar :jawdrop:.

:agree2: Especially about the bar. ES bars have their place, but I've never had a bar tip go bad before the bar needed to be replaced anyway.

If my conversion is correct 30 cm would be about 31.5 inches. That's really too much tree for a 359. I can't speak for the other two saws because I haven't ran them. The 359 would cut them but it would be no easy task. A 31.5" hardwood tree is 372 territory.

Welcome to AS and good luck with your choice.

Hi, thanks, and you are right; 80 cm is 31.5 inches. However, that is really the biggest that I would tackle and the average probably more like 20". I'm not likely to do so much that I could justify the expense of two saws (one is already quite expensive for me).

Hopefully the bit of extra power that the MS 360 has (on paper anyway 0.7bhp more than the 359 :confused:, maybe more with a muffler mod) is enough for the occasional bigger tree, while not too big and heavy for the more normal stuff.

I suppose I have to make compromises since I am not doing this professionally. :)

Just for fun - here's the thickest trees you find here - not that you'd fell one of these of course (they are really spongy inside).

ready to order

Thanks Sawtroll, Litefoot and all,

I am ordering the MS 360 with a 40cm "E" bar and RSC chain, will also get a 45cm bar. I'll let you know when it arrives.

Hi, thanks, and you are right; 80 cm is 31.5 inches. However, that is really the biggest that I would tackle and the average probably more like 20". I'm not likely to do so much that I could justify the expense of two saws (one is already quite expensive for me).

Hopefully the bit of extra power that the MS 360 has (on paper anyway 0.7bhp more than the 359 :confused:, maybe more with a muffler mod) is enough for the occasional bigger tree, while not too big and heavy for the more normal stuff.

I suppose I have to make compromises since I am not doing this professionally. :)

Just for fun - here's the thickest trees you find here - not that you'd fell one of these of course (they are really spongy inside).

That's one huge ugly tree. Enjoy that 360, I love mine.

Thanks Sawtroll, Litefoot and all,

I am ordering the MS 360 with a 40cm "E" bar and RSC chain, will also get a 45cm bar. I'll let you know when it arrives.

Sounds good, but as it will be your only saw, consider a 20" bar instead of the 18" - you are the only one to judge what fits your needs the best.....:)

how old is a tree like that??? what kind of tree is it?

how old is a tree like that??? what kind of tree is it?

It's called a Baobab and they live for a couple of thousand years. The one in the picture is probably about 1000 years old (but I've no idea how to prove that!). They grow really slowly because of the dry climate and they store a lot of water in the trunk.

360 arrived today

Well, I started this thread on 19th February and the 360 has finally arrived today!!

It's been about 7 weeks since I placed the order, but as I mentioned elsewhere, the wrong saw was delivered several times, and then apparently there was a strike in South Africa which affected couriers etc.

Anyway, will at last be able to do more than just read about chainsaws...

Latest posts

Back