359, 61 or MS 360?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I started this thread on 19th February and the 360 has finally arrived today!!

It's been about 7 weeks since I placed the order, but as I mentioned elsewhere, the wrong saw was delivered several times, and then apparently there was a strike in South Africa which affected couriers etc.

Anyway, will at last be able to do more than just read about chainsaws...

Congrats! :cheers:

It's called a Baobab and they live for a couple of thousand years. The one in the picture is probably about 1000 years old (but I've no idea how to prove that!). They grow really slowly because of the dry climate and they store a lot of water in the trunk.

I'd cut a doorway, hollow it out, and make a few windows - free house!:)

What is the biggest stihl you can still get in S. Africa? just curious cause over here the 880 has it but I wondered if the 090 was still available in some areas

Seems to be the 880, though their website doesn't come up right in Safari or Firefox. For the enthusiasts that I have seen on this site, the MS 440 is available in SA.

Last edited:
What was the final choise regarding bars and chain?

16" and 20", thanks for the advice on that - I guess the difference between the 16" and 18" would not have been so useful. Over the coming weeks I'll see how I get on.

My feelings were mixed today as the guy at the dealer wished to show me how to start it, and proceeded to flood it.... Cleaned the spark plug at home and got it running on the first pull.

These saws (non cat Stihls) are imported to SA from Brazil by the way.

16" and 20", thanks for the advice on that - I guess the difference between the 16" and 18" would not have been so useful. Over the coming weeks I'll see how I get on.

My feelings were mixed today as the guy at the dealer wished to show me how to start it, and proceeded to flood it.... Cleaned the spark plug at home and got it running on the first pull.

These saws (non cat Stihls) are imported to SA from Brazil by the way.

Good choise on the bars!

..and yes, I know they are made in Brazil - but as far as I know no Stihls have a cat muffler at the time - it just was an option a long time ago.

Good choise on the bars!

..and yes, I know they are made in Brazil - but as far as I know no Stihls have a cat muffler at the time - it just was an option a long time ago.

I see... I thought maybe the reason for continuing with the old models in markets like these was to do with emissions etc, and that some of the new(er) models might have cats. Anyway, certainly not an issue here! Cheers

If my conversion is correct 30 cm would be about 31.5 inches. That's really too much tree for a 359. I can't speak for the other two saws because I haven't ran them. The 359 would cut them but it would be no easy task. A 31.5" hardwood tree is 372 territory.

Welcome to AS and good luck with your choice.

My thoughts too. Can you get a MS380? It will be MUCH happier with a 25" bar than a MS360.

I see... I thought maybe the reason for continuing with the old models in markets like these was to do with emissions etc, and that some of the new(er) models might have cats. Anyway, certainly not an issue here! Cheers

You are generally right - just not about the cat issue......:)

Power (brand new saw)

Extra weight, but try running each one back to back. The extra power of the 038 is definitely worth it.

Well, you guys may have a point, now that I have started actually cutting trees. But I know the power should increase after a few tankfuls. I only just put in the third tank this afternoon. The power is not amazing me yet...

1) I am 1000 m (3000 ft) above sea level. What adjustments are required to take that into account?

2) Petrol is only 93 octane here... They sell unleaded 93 and lead replacement 93.

3) How many tanks before max power do you reckon?

4) The bars are 16" and 20" by the way.

Thanks for all the comments, I appreciate it.

Your saw will need to be tuned leaner at 3000ft than it will at sea level and will make less power than at sea level. They tend to be completely broken in and making max power after 10-12 tanks.

Thanks, I reset the carb according to the manual and then went a bit leaner. Pity I don't have a tacho to tell what the revs are now. It certainly improved a lot, and has had about 8 tanks through it by now and seems like a different saw to the one I started with yesterday. Thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Back