36" Bar comparison

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redbull660

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
finally got around to editing all these together. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Bars tested -
36" Stihl 063 regular weight bar
36" Stihl 063 wide nose bar
36" Tsumura regular weight bar
36" Stihl 050 light weight bar
36" Tsumura 063 light weight bar

- Differences in temperature after cutting

Jug/cyl temps -
Stihl ES reg bar 063 - 280 F
Stihl ES wide nose bar 063 - 290 F
Tsumura 063 regular weight bar - 260 F
Stihl 050 Light bar - 300 F
Tsumura Light 063 - 252 F

temp of bar just after spikes (mount area) -

Stihl ES reg bar 063 - 158 F
Stihl ES wide nose bar 063 - 164 F
Tsumura 063 regular weight bar - 142 F
Stihl 050 Light bar - 167 F
Tsumura Light 063 - 121 F

mid bar temp

Stihl ES reg bar 063 - 127 F
Stihl ES wide nose bar 063 - 127 F
Tsumura 063 regular weight bar - 110 F
Stihl 050 Light bar - 125 F
Tsumura Light 063 - 96 F

Sprocket Nose -
Stihl ES reg bar 063 - 168 F
Stihl ES wide nose bar 063 - 200 F
Tsumura 063 regular weight bar - 78 F
Stihl 050 Light bar - 164 F
Tsumura Light 063 - 71 F

Differences in cutting times?

Stihl ES reg bar 063 - 44.2 sec
Stihl ES wide nose bar 063 - 44.8 sec
Tsumura 063 regular weight bar - 39.5 sec
Stihl 050 Light bar - 51.0 sec
Tsumura Light 063 - 43.4 sec *had to use a used chain with this bar otherwise I think it would be in the 39's.

Differences in balance/handling?

Difference in tune?

Differences in bar stiffness

Like your comparisons. I wonder how the sugihara would compare to the tsumura?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

have one now in 36" and 41" and the tsumura light 36" ...I'll do a compare between them, when it finally warms up here. But basically you could expect...

-the cannon to be slightly slower than the tsumura ...honestly I think the sprocket nose tip is better on the tsumura and that is the speed advantage.
- cannon temps to be neck and neck with tsumura
- weight and balance will suck compared to the tsumura light. But hey it's a full weight bar.
- flex/stiffness - cannon is very nice.

if you wanted a regular weight bar the tsumura regular weight or cannon regular weight would get my vote. Probably tsumura regular weight because it's cheaper. Not sure if dave has anymore left though.

Wide nose Stihl is discontinued. Nice comparison. I have a low hours Sugihara 36" bar that has wow or light bend (no idea how as it wasn't ever reefed on or bent) in it. I need to get it straightened if possible. I replaced it with a Tsumura lightweight which takes an extra link. Also the Tsumura is a bit more nose heavy compared with the Sugi. I think from now on, any bar 36" or longer would be a Cannon only for me. I am not happy with an expensive bar bending without ever being abused.

have one now in 36" and 41" and the tsumura light 36" ...I'll do a compare between them, when it finally warms up here. But basically you could expect...

-the cannon to be slightly slower than the tsumura ...honestly I think the sprocket nose tip is better on the tsumura and that is the speed advantage.
- cannon temps to be neck and neck with tsumura
- weight and balance will suck compared to the tsumura light. But hey it's a full weight bar.
- flex/stiffness - cannon is very nice.

if you wanted a regular weight bar the tsumura regular weight or cannon regular weight would get my vote. Probably tsumura regular weight because it's cheaper. Not sure if dave has anymore left though.
Maybe I'll wait on a lightweight Cannon this Fall.

Cool test but I'd say that knots and inconsistencies in the wood were a huge part of your cut times. Knots would also cause more friction so I'd say that your heat results wouldn't be so drastically differently.

Wide nose Stihl is discontinued. Nice comparison. I have a low hours Sugihara 36" bar that has wow or light bend (no idea how as it wasn't ever reefed on or bent) in it. I need to get it straightened if possible. I replaced it with a Tsumura lightweight which takes an extra link. Also the Tsumura is a bit more nose heavy compared with the Sugi. I think from now on, any bar 36" or longer would be a Cannon only for me. I am not happy with an expensive bar bending without ever being abused.

My understanding is you can still get the Wide nose tips....Stihl still makes em. Tips only. Not the bar anymore. You can also get them from cannon but they charge $45 for them. http://www.cannonbar.com/PDFs/PriceListMSRPUSDJune2014.pdf See "Super bar Plus replacement tips"

Tsumura 36" - bar says 115dl but I find that to be too long. Just a regular 36" 114dl 3/8 .063 chain works perfectly.

36" Stihl light and Tsumura Light would be more nose heavy than the Sugi because, they both (stihl & tsumura) have cut outs going for the full length of the bar. Stihl has the one giant piece cut out of one side of the bar with the same size giant piece of aluminum? glued/welded back in. Tsumura has the small cut outs staggered on both sides of the bar...I personally think this disperses heat better. In any case both the 36" stihl light and Tsumura Light weigh with in a few ounces of each other...around that 3lb 11-15oz area.

So back to why they would be more nose heavy -

- 36" Sugihara and 32" for that matter = have no cut outs in the back of the bar so the power head feels heavier (balance/pivot point is further back) and the cut outs being at the front of the bar the tip feels lighter.

- Stihl lite & tsumura lite: cutouts going full length = power head feels like it weighs less...actually the whole saw feels like it weighs less. and the balance/pivot point are further up...so that is the nose heavy.

Depends on your preference - if you want the weight in the back and the tip to feel light (Sugi) OR the whole saw to feel light with a feel of more bar tilt (tsumura light & stihl light)

36" sugi weighs at least half a pound more than the tsumura light and stihl light. fyi

Cool test but I'd say that knots and inconsistencies in the wood were a huge part of your cut times. Knots would also cause more friction so I'd say that your heat results wouldn't be so drastically differently.

in the 20 24 28 32" bar comparison tests I did - there was also a difference in cut times. Tsumura and cannon wide nose consistently being the fastest in all the other tests.

I really like how the wide nose for limbing and cutting up smaller stuff on the ground and for cookies. It has a lot of speed...would be my preference over going to a 8pin as well. But the trade off is you lose some torque. I love torque so I got rid of my wide nose bars.

Maybe I'll wait on a lightweight Cannon this Fall.

should be interesting to see what they come up with. But it's Cannon...so I'm guessing they are going to cost a ton of $$$!!!

Have you compared a Oregon reduced weight yet?.

Where can the Tsumura bars be purchased?.

I really like how the wide nose for limbing and cutting up smaller stuff on the ground and for cookies. It has a lot of speed...would be my preference over going to a 8pin as well. But the trade off is you lose some torque. I love torque so I got rid of my wide nose bars.

How is the wide nose costing torque? The wide nose with the larger tip sprocket won't change chain speed, it is just along for the ride. Chain speed may be slightly higher due to decreased drag in the sprocket bearing, but that is all. IMO, it would barely be measurable.

Now, the 8 pin drive sprocket will increase chain speed over a 7 pin, but cost you torque at the chain.

Latest posts

Back