36" splitter build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the 1st run didn't go so well. Princess Auto bit me in the azz good. Went there this morning and got the last of the fittings I needed. Got home and got them put on, added oil to the engine. Took apart some fittings at the filters and got everything full of hydraulic oil. Took off the line after the pump and had my wife hold the hose into a funnel into a pail to make everything flow as easy as possible. Figured once I got that oil flowing I would hook it back up to the valve and it should pump oil the rest of the way easily. Had it running at an idle and oil flow into the pail was slow and just globs not really a smooth flow. Thought maybe still sucking air somewhere so I unhooked the filter again and it was full of oil. Tried it again and still just globbing little bursts of oil out. Oh well figured I would hook everything up and see if some resistance would help smooth the flow out. Hooked that line up but took the tank return and did the pail routine with it. Still only globs of oil, yanked the valve handles a few times and nothing much different in flow. Walked around to other side of splitter and that's when I looked at the piece of crap suction hose that the "expert" at Princess Auto assured me was what "everyone" uses. Flat as a board. Sheet Sheet Sheet. Too little too late. Changed out the hose for a semi rigid piece I had and got ready to give it another go. Decided I might as well pour the little bit that was in the pail back into the tank. Started to pour it into the tank and it was dark gray and smelled burnt. I'm sure that means the pump is still good right? Figured I had little to lose so I hooked everything back up and tried it. It will pump oil but doesn't build much pressure so the cylinder hardly moves. When I bottom out the cylinder the pump squeals and goes into 2nd stage then the pressure drops right off to nothing. Man, I really need to reconsider how devoted I am to Princess Auto. I knew the hose was no good. I even said to the guy then why does the Speeco on the floor have a clear suction hose with a spring inside it if "everybody" uses the "heater" hose he sold me? I wanted to use 1" hydraulic hose and he said it was a waste of money. What are the chances he's there when I go back and try to get a new pump? Might be a problem because the motor and pump were complete and I just want to replace the pump? Maybe I better just take the whole thing there? 1st picture is pretty crappy but you can see how flat the hose is. Figured I better have something to show them for warranty.
I have another used pump that will bolt right on so tomorrow I'll give it a shot just to confirm it's the pump.
View attachment 467160 View attachment 467161
This is a picture of my pump suction hose.
Card 3 236.JPG

I had 2 spin on filters on it. Couldn't figure out what the problem was with the used one but it just wouldn't suck the fluid. I put it in a nice warm spot to make sure it doesn't give me a problem again. I'm heading to Peterborough in the morning so I'll stop by Princess Auto to get another filter setup ( just think 2 would be better) and a single wire hose like I had originally figured. Tony K was over today to get tables and chairs for Christmas but I didn't have it fixed yet when he was here.
IMG_20151206_140937.jpg IMG_20151206_162016.jpg

Man you really get around. I go to school in peterborough. Didn't know there was a princess auto in town though...

Whitty. I'm going to Princess Auto in Newmarket on the way past. I'm actually going to Hastings for a house set. We delivered 2 units there on Thursday and will take 2 more and the materials package tomorrow and set on tuesday. Wednesday I'm back in the office for the day and then on Thursday head to Cottam (near Windsor) with 2 more units that we will set on Friday. I put on lots of kilometers every week all over the province.

Latest posts

Back