360P vs 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are completely different saws, that happen to be in the same size class. The 361 is a solid improvment over the 360 in virtually all areas. Better anti-vibe, better air filtration, a bit smoother, some extra power. If you already have a 360 and can justify upgrading, you likely won't be sorry, but there's nothing wrong with a 360 either.

TimberPig said:
They are completely different saws, that happen to be in the same size class. The 361 is a solid improvment over the 360 in virtually all areas. Better anti-vibe, better air filtration, a bit smoother, some extra power. If you already have a 360 and can justify upgrading, you likely won't be sorry, but there's nothing wrong with a 360 either.

Good post, as usual. I agree entirely. I've run both, and the 361 is a significantly improved saw, but not to take away from the 036. Also a go-to saw in it's own right.

Jeff

As the others said.
The 361 ia a completely new design, that has replaced the 360 in the model line-up.
Max power output, and the rpms at which it is developed is about the same, but that is about were the similarities end.

The 361 engine is a bit smaller in displacement (59 vs. 61.5 cc), but it is a four channel design.
There were complaints on the low end torque on the 360, but so far I have not seen any such complaints on the 361.

Thanks for the input.. I do have a 360 which has very little use and if I found a buyer for it I would probably upgrade to the 361. I just like having the newer models if possible and feasable.

I've gained a BUNCH of knowledge in regards to saws since I joined AS. I've posted before about wanting a bigger saw for firewood (bigger than my 260) and I won't rehash all the details regarding my situation. I have other considerations for another saw, including a Husky, but the 036Pro/360Pro has also been one of my considerations. Until doing some thread searching (here on AS) on the topic of 036/360 vs 361 (and reading this post), I didn't realize that the 361 was a totally new design. My question (for info purposes) is between the 036Pro vs 360Pro. I've found that these saws (036Pro/360Pro) were produced from 1991 to 2003 (correct me if I'm wrong). Was there any difference in these saws throughout those years? If I was looking at one of these saws to buy, would there be anything I should look for or stay away from in the 036Pro/360Pro line from year to year that they were produced? Thanks, just doing more researchand gaining knowledge. :)

Kevin

As far as 036/360 I don't know any particulars, but I think you should buy dogdad's 360 so he can get a 361. Good move for both of ya'.

fishhuntcutwood said:
I might guess that the 036 vs 036 Pro is similar to the 026 vs 026 Pro. Adjustable oiler, decomp.

Just guessing.

Jeff

I haven't spent much time around them, but I don't even think the differences are that big. I think they are almost identical save the "PRO" badge. Someone else should be able to provide more details on the exact differences.

360 Vs 360pro

If memory serves me correctly, both have adjustable oilers. I dont think the early 036's had decompressors. Later ones did but not sure if they came along with the "pro" designation or not. Didn't the early ones have a metal front handle and later ones plastic? Maybe i'm thinking of the 034's.

KMB said:
... My question (for info purposes) is between the 036Pro vs 360Pro. I've found that these saws (036Pro/360Pro) were produced from 1991 to 2003 (correct me if I'm wrong). Was there any difference in these saws throughout those years? ...
Post 5 trough 9 in this tread should be relevant for your question.
Follow the link that is in one of the posts also.

SawTroll said:
Post 5 trough 9 in this tread should be relevant for your question.
Follow the link that is in one of the posts also.

Thanks for the link for the info. The sprocket bearing problems on the earlier 036's is the kind of info I was looking for. If my decision comes down to one of these saws, I think I'd look for a 360Pro. I'm thinking that by the time Stihl made the name change (from 036 to 360), the problem should have been fixed.

Kevin

Yes, that should be the case.

Here is more Technical Service Bulletins that you may want to check out (I have not read them, so I do not know how relevant they are).

Latest posts

Back