361 for firewood cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Knight

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I just tried out the RMC and RSC chains for my 270, and wow do they make a huge (!) difference in cutting performance (real duh moment, I get it). I used to think the 270 was slightly underpowered for bucking 18-20" logs, but these chains really opened up the performance of the 270. The saw was really pulling itself through the wood and we timed the cut through an 18" ash at about 9 seconds. Compared to the stock safety chains, I was simply amazed...

With the safety chains, I thought I definitely needed to go one saw bigger for regularly bucking logs in the 18-22" range (as you can see from my other posts inquiring about 361's and 441's). Now, I am not so sure, and thus where I find my dilemma. While it is tempting to have the 361 in case I need to throw on a 25" bar, I really never get into firewood that big. I don't do forestry/tree service work, and there always seems to be plenty of wood in the size range that I can actually pick up and load onto a trailer. Like with most strictly firewood cutters, most of my time is spent on the hauling/splitting/stacking end, and not sawing.

For those of you who who just use theirs saws stock for basic firewood needs, do you think the 361 is an essential saw? Is it a saw you can pick up and use several hours at a time, like a 260 or 270? I don't want to spend $600+ on a saw that sits just in case I have a job that requires a bigger saw and bar (that's why I do not have a 400 or 600 series saw). But, if the 361 with an 18" bar is as comfortable to use as a 260/270 then it definitely is appealing b/c I can just have a 25" bar and chain sitting around in case I need it, and not a whole other saw.

I know it is sometimes better to have more power than necessary than to not have enough power. But, I'd also like to think I am a realist and overkill is just money I could have spent on something else. I'd appreciate any thoughts from the pragmatists on the forum.

I use my 361 most everthing

I use my 361 for most everthing even on small trees. The other saws in signature are just a hobby If I am wanting a load of wood in the truck when not just playing around I take 2 361's and one of the others to the woods.

I can't speak to the 361, but I do like the added power from bigger saws. I used to have an 028 as well as the current 038 mag, and found that I rarely used the 028, simply because the 038 got the job done faster. The smaller saw is really handy when doing a lot of limbing or small stuff. I want a small saw, but know that I probably wont use it much.

I can't speak to the 361, but I do like the added power from bigger saws. I used to have an 028 as well as the current 038 mag, and found that I rarely used the 028, simply because the 038 got the job done faster. The smaller saw is really handy when doing a lot of limbing or small stuff. I want a small saw, but know that I probably wont use it much.

Yeah, it's kind of funny. I got the 372 because I wanted a lighter saw, but end up using my 066 most of the time anyway because it's faster. After a while I break out the 372 because it's lighter, but then go back to the 066 because it's faster. Life is funny sometimes.

Mark

If you have a 270 the 361 just isn't enough of a gain in power when you look at the cost. If you don't need a more powerful saw than what your using save your money and put it towards say a hydraulic splitter if you don't have one. My neighbor who cuts wood cracks me up, he has twice as many saws as I use on the job and spends more time running the gas out for storage than he ever does cutting. Point being, most firewood cutters need 2 saws tops, one to unstick the other one because your gonna pinch em, heck we all do. The problem with most of the wood I give away from a job is it's all or nothing, you can't just take the small stuff so the guys I deal with have invested in saws that will pull a bigger bar for the trunks, if you just cut the smaller stuff and have all the small wood ya want then you are very lucky. If I never had to load or cut a piece over 15" again that would be fine with me.

I know it is sometimes better to have more power than necessary than to not have enough power. But, I'd also like to think I am a realist and overkill is just money I could have spent on something else. I'd appreciate any thoughts from the pragmatists on the forum.

The 361 would suit your needs fine while using a 18-20" mostly and the seldom use of a 25". I have not ran a 270 so I can't say the extra $$$ will be worth the extra power but a muffler modded 361 pulls a 20" great. Lake's pipe muffler mod doesn't really add alot of extra noise but the power gained is sweet and worth the mod. If you want to keep it stock that is fine also. You need to find someone close by to test run a 361.

chrowen sounds like you really like the RSC chain, it's the one I use the most often. I think a 361 would be just right for you if your cutting 18-22 inch trees especially if it's hardwood. Some people will say a 18" bar is the sweet spot for a 361 but my opinion is it's 20". IMO if you liked the difference the RSC chain made you would really like the difference the 361 would make. I bucked a 29" oak this weekend with my 361 with 20" bar and had no problem with the bar buried on the first cut.:D:D:D Had a new loop of RSC and was like cutting butter. I have cut about 30 cords of all hardwood in the last year and never regret spending the extra money getting the 361. And as far as the weight ,I have no problem running a tank of fuel and getting my little rest while refilling fuel and bar oil and getting right back to it. Good luck and happy cutting. Ray :givebeer::givebeer::givebeer:

Take a look at the saws that I own. If I had to keep one for firewood and throw all the rest away, the Stihl MS 361 would remain in the arsenal.

I could always outfit it with 16" bar and chain for little stuff and then switch gears all the way up to a 25" for bucking big stuff and felling.

MS 361 Rocks!

The 361 weights just a tad more than the 270, and offer a lot more power - no-brainer, really.... :givebeer:

Shorter bars, and "over-bucking" works better than longer bars most of the time, for bucking - but for felling I like the longer ones, within reason.

Last edited:
361 for everything except brush

I have been using the 361 for 4 years now. It has been the perfect saw for everything I cut. I do use the dreaded WildThing for the brush and small limb work (I know I am gona get flamed for that:) ). I have recently switched from the RMC chain to the RSC chain from Stihl and I have never been happier with the saw! I cut mostly oak, and hickory, with the occasional ash and black cherry, and on a few occasions I get into hedge and mulberry. I run a 20" on the 361 and most everything I cut is 32" at the base or less, prefeerably around the 28" area. According to my owners manual and the Stihl web site... Stihl calls the RM* series of chain semi chisel and the RS* series full chisel. I deff get better performance from the RSC that I am running now

Hope this helps
Doug

ms 361 purchase

This is the first time writing. I am new to the site but find most posts interesting. I recently purchased a 361 and feel the saw is great. I have a ms 290 and a 034 super, most of the time using the o34 even though it is older. The 361 I feel puts the other saws to secondary usage. The low vibe and extra power are great. Absolutely no regrets here for the 361 purchase.

Joe

Will a 361 cut....something under 6"?:spam::greenchainsaw: or will it just shut down?!?

It shuts down because there is no sense wasting gas on sub 6". It just falls into 18" lengths out of fear.:chainsaw: Oh yeah, we already had that thread.:cheers:

I love my 361 and I do think the 18" is the sweet spot for it.

I would advise you to get the 361 with the 18 bar. It's the same set up that I've got. It's a great saw to run for a long period of time due to the light weight. Look at it this way: if you really don't like it, you can sell it and get just about all your money back. The depreciation could be viewed as the price of a hefty rental fee.

.... Stihl calls the RM* series of chain semi chisel and the RS* series full chisel. I deff get better performance from the RSC that I am running now

Hope this helps
Doug

Welcome! :cheers:

That is how it is in clean woo - RS/RSC is faster in clean wood, RM/RMC withstands dirt better (keeps the edge reasonably sharp longer).

I keep one RM for each bar for my MS361, but very seldom use them (less than once a year).......

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back