361 for firewood cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It shuts down because there is no sense wasting gas on sub 6". It just falls into 18" lengths out of fear.:chainsaw: Oh yeah, we already had that thread.:cheers:

I love my 361 and I do think the 18" is the sweet spot for it.

I would say 16" is the sweet-spot, 18" a very good compromize - and regular use of 20" is 70cc territory.

The above is mostly about balance, not about lack of power.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Welcome Joe!!

This is the first time writing. I am new to the site but find most posts interesting. I recently purchased a 361 and feel the saw is great. I have a ms 290 and a 034 super, most of the time using the o34 even though it is older. The 361 I feel puts the other saws to secondary usage. The low vibe and extra power are great. Absolutely no regrets here for the 361 purchase.

Joe

Nice to have another new member on the site from Wisconsin. You'll fit in well here as you have the required saw of saws . . . the HOLY MS 361!!!! Seriously though it is a great saw and again welcome to the site.

Al :cheers:

I just bought a 361 yesterday. Used it a little in the evening and I'm very pleased. I got the 18" bar and 3 loops of RSC3 chain. This will now be my "go to" saw. I cut firewood for my own use and I'm working on clearing my land. I also sometimes help a buddy who's an excavator stumping and topping trees. I use a saw 3 out of 5 weekends a year.

As others have said, get the 361 and think about selling your other saws, cuz they'll just sit from that point on....

Last edited:
I don't think you could go wrong with the 361. It is my #1 ground saw and do probably 90% of my cutting on the ground with it (tree service). I will often use my 192T to limb and 361 to buck when I have 2 men sawing on the ground. To speed things up I will limb the tree with the smaller saw while I have another man dragging brush and have another man bucking with the 361. I can usually have the tree limbed and be getting set up in the next tree while the two men on the ground are finishing the bucking and clean up. If I am sawing by myself on the ground (which is rare) I will just use the 361 to limb and buck. I currently have a 25" bar on the 361 but that is just because I haven't got around to switching back to the 20". I normally run it with the 20" bar and use my 441 if I run into anything really big.

tree md
You said you use a 25" bar on your 361. Does it kill the power compared to using the 20" bar? And I heard a rumor that the 361 oiler can't keep up with a 25" bar? By the way, I'm planning on purchasing a ms 361 in about two weeks. I wanted to get the 18" bar with it and get an extra 25" bar for the really big trees, although I would hardly ever have to use the 25". A local dealer is having an entire store sale and the saw w/18" bar will go for $524. I thought this was a good deal. I wanted to wait until stihl does a promotion and throws a case in for free, but I can't pass this deal up.
Thanks
CH:newbie:

That's an awesome deal for $524. I just payed $600 for a 361, 18", and a 2nd loop of chain. Grab it up you won't be disappointed. I also think the 18 is perfect for the saw. I couldn't be happier with mine!

I have been using the 361 for 4 years now. It has been the perfect saw for everything I cut. I do use the dreaded WildThing for the brush and small limb work (I know I am gona get flamed for that:) ).Doug

Its funny. We use the 361 for cutting brush as work. Great power saw. Not too heavy, awesome performance. Although I to cut firewood alot with my uncle. I catch him sneaking my 372XPW out of my truck so he can use it. Its light and a 32" B&C. He likes it because its light and has reach.

For firewood 12” and up, most gets cut by husky 372’s or ms440s with 20” bars. They are simply a lot more powerful than the 361 and are only slightly heavier. Under 12” has recently been falling to the dolmar 5100 with an 18” bar .325. This little saw continues to impress me especially for the price. If you can only have one, the 361 is a good option but if you are going to purchase additional saws, it kinda falls in between the cracks.

Latest posts

Back