361 sweet spot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stein

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Morning all. I have been searching the forum for a couple of days to research which saw I was going to buy to replace my old saw. My debate was Stihl 260pro or 361. I NEED a 260, but I WANT a 361. This isn't another 260 vs 361 thread. I have read enough of those to help me make up my mind.

I have decided on the 361. I just cut firewood for my home and shop-maybe 7 cords a year, so not a big user. Many will think the 361 is overkill, but I like nice things. My debate is what bar length and chain style is best for my type of cutting.

Most of my firewood is either fallen or standing dead wood. I probably only drop 10 dead trees a year. The rest are already down. I'd assume this wood is dirtier than the standing wood. There are years' worth of windblown and beaver cut trees for me to cut up. In almost all cases, I don't even know what type of wood they are, as they are mostly limbless and barkless. My old saw would stuggle on dead wood but cut green wood well. I don't cut anything that I can't lift into the truck, so I generally have stopped at 18-20" diameter. I might go a bit bigger with a real saw now and just drag the splitter to the field to halve the bigger pieces for loading.

I have gotten along with a 16" bar so far, but thought I would go up to an 18". Is this a good length for saw balance on a 361? I know it will pull more but best balance is the key here. I don't have need for longer. Also which chain for the wood as described above? Maybe RSC or RM? I'm picking up a couple with the new saw. My old saw would go through two chains an hour or so on dry wood, but cut all day on green wood.

I appreciate the help. Sorry for the long winded post, but I wanted to give enough information so that you could make a better suggestion. Looking to pick the 361 up this weekend.

I have a ms361 with a 18'' bar and it is a nice size for firewood cutting IMO. I also have a stihl 026 ''pre ms260'' with a 16'' bar and it is good for 10'' and less firewood but if I could only have one it would be my 361 with a 18'' bar. Get yourself a loop of stihl RSC for green wood "clean" and stihl RMC for dirty or very dry wood and you should be all set. The MS361 is a great firewood saw!!!

Have you considered a Dolmar 5100? BWAHAHAHAAAH!!!

Seriously, a 20" works well for my 036, I suspect it will work equally well for a 361. 18" seems a bit small for a 361 unless you live in Tromms... or N.H. - sorry, Stihl here!

For down wood, yes go with the RM or RMC. Me, I'd not intentionally get the triple-humped tie straps, but that's just me.

Last edited:
Well, shucks. I went to my local Stihl dealer over lunch to spend some time fondling the goods. Now I am second guessing the 361 over the 260 pro. I'm a little shaver, 155 lbs. and I kept going back and forth between the two and I REALLY could notice the difference in weight. The price difference is only $90 so that points directly to the 361. From what I have read here, those that have both say that if they could only have one it would be the 361. That said, alot of the same guys that have both consider the 260 as their "go to" saw most of the time. Ahhh, decisions decisions. I know that I would be happy with either.

What is the difference between RM and RMC chain? Is one better for down, dry wood than the other?

An 18" bar is just a tad tip heavy on a 361 - don't go any longer for max 20" wood.

Start out with a mix of RSC an RM, and see what works best for you, in your wood.

An 18" bar is just a tad tip heavy on a 361 - don't go any longer for max 20" wood.

I specifically noticed this on the 361/20 that was in the shop. 18" is definitely the max for me.

Start out with a mix of RSC an RM, and see what works best for you, in your wood.

Point well taken. I'll do that. One of each to start.

Last edited:
go with the 20 ,its better to have too much bar rather than not enuf-plus its a good balance
super saw , IT SHOULD HAVE A RED CAPE BLOWING IN THE BREEZE ,WOMEN WANT IT AND VILLIANS COWER IN FEAR ----THE MIGHTY 361

go with the 20 ,its better to have too much bar rather than not enuf-plus its a good balance

With all due respect, it's going to be wearing an 18 for sure. If I can't cut it with that, I can't pick it up anyway.

Whoops...sorry couldn't resist.
Honestly, I've run a 361 w/ 20" handles it great. I'm kinda in the Troll school of thought...I've got an 18" on my 372 most of the time.

Do you know the 361 cures cancer cuts on its own and the exhaust smells
like fresh cut flowers .Just what i seen posted.Oh and it makes its own fuel.
:)

Heard of "overbucking"????? :greenchainsaw:
+1 on overbucking. You can cut a whole lot of wood with the 18" and the 361 keeps spinning and making happy noises. The 20" bar that came on my saw, rarely gets used, now. Actually, now that I've learned to "use a saw" correctly, my 24" bar has more time on it that the 20". 18" is the bar that it is usually wearing.

Last weekend I had to take two large blow-downs apart. They were on a very rocky hillside and both were approx 18-20" DBH. I figured that the 20" would keep me uphill and safer cause I knew the rounds would be dropping and rolling. I put that 20"er in more dirt and rocks than I have in a long time. For the second tree I changed up to the 18" bar and it went much faster (with no rock carving). I still stayed up hill but there were far fewer worries were the tip was.

IMO - 18" and 24" and a couple of RSC and 1 or 2 RMC RM for each. You could just start out with 1 of each (RS & RM) until you get a feeling for what you like.

361 and never look back - especially if it's gonna be your primary saw.

Good luck and let us know how it works out. :popcorn:

Last edited:
Guys, did you notice this statement he made?

"I'm a little shaver, 155 lbs."

The weight can be a deciding factor if you use it for more than just short periods of time.

I really like all my saws, but the 026 has a special place in my heart.

Latest posts

Back