361 sweet spot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread is just pure evil. I can feel my CAD kicking in. In last 15mins, I have came back to this post 7 time or more, stihl website, trading post......

I'm going to have to wait until Christmas is over. I still have to see what Santa is going to bring me.

Stop temping me!! :biggrinbounce2:

you will regret the 260 pro...........

Well, shucks. I went to my local Stihl dealer over lunch to spend some time fondling the goods. Now I am second guessing the 361 over the 260 pro. I'm a little shaver, 155 lbs. and I kept going back and forth between the two and I REALLY could notice the difference in weight. The price difference is only $90 so that points directly to the 361. From what I have read here, those that have both say that if they could only have one it would be the 361. That said, alot of the same guys that have both consider the 260 as their "go to" saw most of the time. Ahhh, decisions decisions. I know that I would be happy with either.

What is the difference between RM and RMC chain? Is one better for down, dry wood than the other?

if you buy it and then run a 361. the 361 is a much nicer saw.260 is useless now that the 346xp NE and Dolmar 5100 exist.

ms361 with an 18" with RSC chain is a sweet setup.

I have a 260 Pro 18" and a 361 20" and I love both saws. That said, the 260 is just a special saw to me. I will choose it every time because it's light and handles like a dream. I'm on the small side too and the 361 is awesome when it's needed, but it will wear us small guys out fast. You'll probably be like me and end up with both saws. I'd start with the 260 Pro. BTW, I use the decompression valve all the time, so the Pro was a very smart decision for me.

-Mel

I have both a 260 with a 16" bar and and a 361 with a 20 inch bar. When I am going out to cut a lot of wood I take both saws and when the wood gets over about 8" I use the 361. When I have a downed limb or just doing some cleanup - I take the 260. It is fast light and a bit more nimble than the 361 and not too much slower on the smaller wood. I don't have the pro model and I found out I really don't need the adjustable oiler or compression release as it starts easily and oils just fine. My neighbor cuts all his wood with an 026 and last year went out and bought a new saw.....and bought a new 260.

If I had a one saw plan.....the decision would be very hard as they are both great saws and have their good points. If I was cutting 10 chords a year or less and the wood was mosty less than a foot in diameter and involved limb cleanup.....I suppose the 260 with a 16" bar would be my choice. If I was cutting wood 2 feet around and only cut branches up to throw on a brush pile I would choose the 361.

if you buy it and then run a 361. the 361 is a much nicer saw.260 is useless now that the 346xp NE and Dolmar 5100 exist.

ms361 with an 18" with RSC chain is a sweet setup.

Well, this is exactly what I bought. 361 with an 18" ES bar and a couple of loops of RSC, along with a helmet.:greenchainsaw:

size matters

well, we aren't all big guys able to wield a 660 all day... IMO this man would be very happy with a 260/16 or 260/18, considering his size and amount of wood, besides; he's not on a production schedule to sell the stuff. i love to play with my farmer brother in-law's 361, but i can only be real safe with it for a mx of about 3-4 hours and i' 6feet-180lbs. on the other hand my 260 can be handled pretty much all day if need be and still not approach an unsafe tiredeness, so please; careful here, big toys are fun but your safety must always come first... hope this helps! cheers alain:greenchainsaw:

Congratulations Stein!

remember Stein: cutting wood should never be a test of your manliness...

I have always used big saws for everything. 066 Magnum with a 20" and Chipper Chain is my first go to saw. You would be surprised how fast and how much firewood that saw can turn out in 1/2 a day. (I'm a former powerlifter/builder and the weight don't matter, fortunate I guess) Great fun!

After reading the threads on the 360s and 361s I am in the hunt now. Troll stated the 18" bar seemed to balance the saw just right. I will agree and keeping the chain sharp helps out with the power ratio.

There is a Stihl Dealer that I use who gives me 10% off any new saw and for 18" RSC chains in pairs is $27.

The two common denominators that make this great sport (which it is for me a sport, I cut for others for free) is this site and the people here that share so much knowledge with each other and the GOOD Stihl Dealers who most often will go out of their way to ensure the continuity of work and play for us all.

Thanks for listening and sharing. Happy Holidays.

well, we aren't all big guys able to wield a 660 all day... IMO this man would be very happy with a 260/16 or 260/18, considering his size and amount of wood, besides; he's not on a production schedule to sell the stuff.

I really did waffle for quite a while before deciding on the 361. I just couldn't let it go. I still have my old crapsman saw for limbing and in the dirt work so I'm covered on both ends. It runs great and has cut probably 50 cord in the last seven years. The extra weight, while noticeable, shouldn't be a problem as it will be used for "low" work and mostly bucking. I knew if I went for the 260, I would always second guess myself. Couldn't get the new toy out last weekend. Hopefully I can get a chance this weekend.

no regrets

Hey Stein; so you are all set with a two saw plan then! I'm sure you will not regret your 361, it is one sweet package of a saw, heck even the husky afficionados recognise it, just read a couple troll's post (has very extended knowledge of all chainsaw stuff...) and you'll likely come across it...Well have fun with your new toy and let those chips rain! tell us what you think of it after working with for a while will you?! cheers! alain

It's funny, I just saw a semi-local ms260 pro come up on Craigslist - 9 months old and supposedly 6 tanks of fuel for $350. Probably could buy it for $300. Good thing it didn't come up last week or I wouldn't have ever bought the 361. I still might have to pick it up for that price, though.

Last edited:
Why would you pay MSRP for a used saw???? The local ACE has a new MS290 for $359. For you Stein start looking for a 660. You can limb and buck with the 361. Pull out the 660 for the trunks. I have an 034 with a 16inch bar and when I run out of bar with that the 066 with 24in comes out.

Brian

I think he meant to type 260 Pro instead of 290 Pro....there is a big difference in price......and there is no such thing as a 290 Pro.

tenacious virus...

hey Stein, get yourself checked out, i think you have a case of CAD virus eating at'ya, but don't worry you'll live through it just like i and the rest of the fine folks from this site...cheers alain

It's funny, I just saw a semi-local ms260 pro come up on Craigslist - 9 months old and supposedly 6 tanks of fuel for $350. Probably could buy it for $300. Good thing it didn't come up last week or I wouldn't have ever bought the 361. I still might have to pick it up for that price, though.

The 361 is a much better saw, and not just because it is larger......:cheers:

Back