361 sweet spot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i run a 25" on my 360 with 8 pin sprocket oiler adjusted to max and modified/ported muffler (adjust carb) it cuts awesome, with the 25 you don't even have to bend over .. i like that!!!!!

My 361 has the 25" bar and it's slightly tip heavy with full fuel in it. I would think the 18" or 20" bar would make it a perfect balance with full fuel and oil in it.

I have a 20" bar on my MS361 and to me, it's a perfect balance between bar/chain length and power for cut. I'm happy with it. Now I'm just learning about performance tweaks for it. :chainsawguy:

I have a 20" bar on my MS361 and to me, it's a perfect balance between bar/chain length and power for cut. I'm happy with it. Now I'm just learning about performance tweaks for it. :chainsawguy:

Surely that set-up is front heavy, but probably not really bad.

My 361W with metal handlebar and handle heating is heavier than a standard 361, but still a bit front heavy, even with an 18" E bar (lighter than ES).

Last edited:
Front heavy is good! Guess you've never uses and 066 with a 36, or and 088 with a 42 or 60...

What you needs is some bigger wood...

Oh.. English lession #12357 "a perfect balance between..." has little to do with saw balance ;)

Last edited:

i too have the 361 20" combo. for most things this is good.
i was thinking for those times when i don't need the 20" i should have an 18" and an 8 pin sprocket.

16" on a 361 and it dances with wood, very nimble.

For a 361 'one-saw plan' I would let it live with a 16" bar and have a 24" and a couple loops of sharp chain for the bigger stuff you just don't want to pass up on.

If I did not have the 660 that lives with a 28" bar, I think life would be good with an 18"

Hmmm.... well, on one 361 I am running a 24 inch bar with the stock 7 pin rim. My favorite setup for that saw. I have cut down some 22 inch oaks with that saw and the 24 inch bar on it. Black oak, hard and solid trees. Not an issue. I also have a 28 inch bar, but the 361 does not oil that bar well enough for my tastes. I also have a 20 inch, which is my second favorite bar for the 361. I also have 18 and 16 inch bars in standard 3/8 that I run on the other 361, but I also run an 8 pin rim on that saw for more chain speed. Otherwise I think that the torque of the 361 is wasted with those shrimpy bars.

Personally I would recommend a 20 inch bar for the 361. Get a Stihl ES bar on it. Solid bars are better than laimated. Also I would run RM full comp chain on it. RM chain, not the old RM2 safety stuff. RM is semi chisel, and that stuff cuts good in cruddy conditions that you are talking about. I have done a lot of slash pile cutting, windthrow cutting, as well as cutting lots of standing dead snags. There is a lot of dirt and grit in that kind of wood. The full chisel chains are fussy about cutting clean wood, and get dull fast in the crud.

Great post, yesterday I just picked up a nice used 361 with a 18" bar, was thinking about switching to a 20", but now might try it with the 18". My current 029 has a 20" bar, but kind of getting to the point where I need to replace it. Depending on how things work out I quess I could always order a new 20" and put it on the 361 and take the 18" (like new) and put it on the 029?

Yesterday, hunting for some firewood in/around my property, I ran in to 20-22" red oak recently downed due to storm. I was way down in the hill from my 044 so I just cut it with my 026 with 16" .325" RM chain which was in my hand at the time. It did the job but would have been nice if I had something little bigger saw yet light enough to go hunting around with. Good enough reason for me to look for a 361 :greenchainsaw:

Since I already had a 20" bar on a another saw I ordered mine with a 16" bar.
I carry both bars with me so I only need to bring one saw.
My 16" Stihl bar was getting beat so I scored this GB bar for 13$ on ebay. I'll get a chance to test it out sometime this week.
DSCN0560.jpg

Hey BloodOnTheIce - I bet that thing is fast with a 16" bar and chain. I have to take a look at the rim sprocket to make sure it matches my .325 bar and chain. I bought it yesterday with a new bar and chain and was expecting it to be .375 3/8. One of the AS members just shared the shop manual so I can take a look sometime this week before using it.

Makes a good twin to yours.... (I read on here these things cure cancer... they must be good saws !!)

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back