361 with a 28" bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CaseyForrest said:
The more I think about it......

Hows parts availibility for the 084? Are parts between the 084 and 088 the same?

Most parts are different, but are available. Piston is the same though. Lot's of used parts around for 084 - not many for 088/MS880.

If you get a used 088, they made a good crankcase change mid-production - a cast steel support for the clutch side bearing.

Last edited:
Lakeside53 said:
Look on the bright side - if they every do make an 81, Thall and Lake will know about it first:hmm3grin2orange: but we don't right now.. so just buy one!!
Yup............Thall has left the door WIDE OPEN for a "King or a Queen" of all saws thread :clap: The "Prince of all Saws" thread will be re-rated :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

Lakeside53 said:
Most parts are diferent, but are available. Piston is the same though. Lot's of used parts around for 084 - not many for 088/MS880.

If you get a used 088, they made a good crankcase change mid-production - a cast steel support for the clutch side bearing.

Im assuming then thats on the 880 as well?

talon1189 said:
Yup............Thall has left the door WIDE OPEN for a "King or a Queen" of all saws thread :clap: The "Prince of all Saws" thread will be re-rated :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon
The World is full of Kings and Queens, That blind your eyes and still your dreams.

I bought mine with an 18" bar. For a "big" bar I think I'll buy a 24" Speed Tip and a couple loops of semi-chisel chain to go with it. I wish I had access to some big hardwood but that 18er will handle 95% of what I cut. It's just occasionally that I wish I had more bar.

Ian

CaseyForrest said:
I thought 25 is all Stihl says a 361 can handle...

http://stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS361.html

Not arguing with ya Lake!!! I was pleasently surprised that the 59cc saw can handle 28".

You could run a 36" bar on a 361 if you were cutting styrofoam............:bang: :laugh: :bang: :laugh:

CaseyForrest said:
You dont have a 361????

And you say you love the Stihl saw......

I usually run a 16" on it. Went to the shop today to get a 7 and 8 tooth rim. Right now Im running 9 tooth in .325. They gave me small spline rims!!! DAMN!! I was hoping to run that .325 with the 7 and 8 tooth and see how she does.

I don't see much point in trying .325x7 on a 16" bar, but it would be nice to see the results of 8-pin vs 9-pin in fairly small wood.

3/8"x8 works pretty good in small wood (limbing) with 15" bar on my 361.:blob2:

rahtreelimbs said:
You could run a 36" bar on a 361 if you were cutting styrofoam............:bang: :laugh: :bang: :laugh:

Really. lol

I have an old 28" Muckaluck bar that is the same pattern as a small husky/dolmar.

maybe I should put it on my 5100 so I can keep up with the crazy Michigan guys. lol

SawTroll said:
I don't see much point in trying .325x7 on a 16" bar, but it would be nice to see the results of 8-pin vs 9-pin in fairly small wood.

3/8"x8 works pretty good in small wood (limbing) with 15" bar on my 361.:blob2:

I can see what you mean. I was quite surprised how well the 3/8 cut on the 361. Almost better than the .325 I have on it now.

I may have to re-think my affinity for .325....or get over my laziness and get a 3/8 tip for the bar!!!

Freakingstang said:
Really. lol

I have an old 28" Muckaluck bar that is the same pattern as a small husky/dolmar.

maybe I should put it on my 5100 so I can keep up with the crazy Michigan guys. lol

You can try...but we are pretty crazy up here.

CaseyForrest said:
I can see what you mean. I was quite surprised how well the 3/8 cut on the 361. Almost better than the .325 I have on it now.

I may have to re-think my affinity for .325....or get over my laziness and get a 3/8 tip for the bar!!!
Good idea, and it would be interesting with a comparison 3/8x7 vs .325x8 vs. 3/8x8 vs. .325x9 with RS chain in a couple of different wood zises...:cheers:

SawTroll said:
Good idea, and it would be interesting with a comparison 3/8x7 vs .325x8 vs. 3/8x8 vs. .325x9 with RS chain in a couple of different wood zises...:cheers:

Well, went back to the shop to get the correct rims.....No large spline .325 rims in 8 or 7 tooth, only 9 tooth.

So Im ditching the .325, and brought home a 16" ES bar and 2 RS chains.

.325 bar and chains are for sale on the trading post.

Hijack

Can i jump in and hijack this thread for just a second? I am wondering what is the real world effective difference between .325 and 3/8? I dont' mean the mechanics of it. I understand 3pins divided by 2 and so on, I mean what is the difference in cutting. I have gathered that 3/8 is generally considered better at power and bar length goes up, but not sure why? Any help here.

Latest posts

Back