365-372 build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nah,the 394 run like a scalded dog but it wont keep up with the 066 round top i just finished. so the loser leaves town.

Ahhh. I think I got a 395 that'll run your 066.

sorry I can`t contribute to this thread;
I just need to know :why is the 365 Special ?

Because, that's just the name, the Special is a closed port cylinder, and the regular 365 is open port.

Just thought I'd pop back in here and update a little. This saw is cursed, I know that for sure. Its blown up 2 top ends, first one was my fault and had and air leak, second one was crappy rings, came apart and caught a ring, completely destroyed the piston and cylinder.

You have it wrong Will. In both cases it was Petey's fault :)

Sounds good though hanging with the Dolmar but I know Al's 371 BB had a fair bit of sting when I used it. It was right up there with that pop upped Makita which says something about his work.

You have it wrong Will. In both cases it was Petey's fault :)

Sounds good though hanging with the Dolmar but I know Al's 371 BB had a fair bit of sting when I used it. It was right up there with that pop upped Makita which says something about his work.

Ya, I think Al is a bit beyond me in skills. I do think that the one I gave him to use will beat a Dolmar though, setup right though, smaller bar and better chain, I was also really limited on port width with the 272 piston, but its running pretty dam good, I think. I still have not run it yet!! LOL

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/q7bs78OfZ0c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ya, I think Al is a bit beyond me in skills. I do think that the one I gave him to use will beat a Dolmar though, setup right though, smaller bar and better chain, I was also really limited on port width with the 272 piston, but its running pretty dam good, I think. I still have not run it yet!! LOL

Yeah apparently the drunkerer Al gets the more aggressive his porting :D He must have been completely smashed when he ported that 371...

Running real nice. Nice looking saw too!

What kind of timing numbers did you end up with?

#'s are about the same as the "free bee" 372 I did last time, 99* on exhaust and 120* on the transfers. I cut the cylinder skirt up more, larger windows in the piston and larger on the transfers and exhaust. I only opened up the stock opening on the muffler to remain "stock looking".

#'s are about the same as the "free bee" 372 I did last time, 99* on exhaust and 120* on the transfers. I cut the cylinder skirt up more, larger windows in the piston and larger on the transfers and exhaust. I only opened up the stock opening on the muffler to remain "stock looking".

Cool, thanks. That's about where I'm at on my 371 I did a while back.

Just thought I'd pop back in here and update a little. This saw is cursed, I know that for sure. Its blown up 2 top ends, first one was my fault and had and air leak, second one was crappy rings, came apart and caught a ring, completely destroyed the piston and cylinder. So I managed to save the first cylinder and ended up using a 272 piston I had lying around, its got higher crown, so I machined it into a .035 popup I think, did some port work, the tree guy has it back, ran a tank of gas through it. So far he says it keeps up with his well broken in Dolmar 7900, and that's with a 28" bar on the husky and a 24" on the Dolmar, and semi chisel on the Husky and full chisel on the Dolmar, so I think its definitely got more pop then the Dolmar. He brought it back today, so I could check tune, I richened just a hair, and gave it back to him for some more run time.

Well, today, I actually got a chance to run my own saw!!! Went out to their job site, and I can honestly say, I'm impressed, I wasn't expecting it to be this good, it was a quick build, but dang, it sounds awesome, and it definitely outruns their stock 7900 by a good margin!! In the same wood, and the 372 is only running semi chisel, on a longer bar then the Dolmar and its still much faster, even they commented on it today saying the same thing.

365 screamer

The 365 family of saws are the best, lots of parts and easy to work on.
I took a 365 sp and cleaned up the cylinder, bought a new piston, coated the skirts with dry film, the piston top with a thermal barrier, ported the transfers to the max, left the cylinder gasket off(.025 squish), cleaned up intake and exhaust ports, cut muffler deflector off and opened hole to the max size deflector would cover and welded it back on, advanced the ignition timing and leaned carb to the point of danger, also installed 2 muffler shield and 2 gaskets and painted cylinder flat black all in the name of keeping the cylinder cooler, it has 180# of compression. I put a 8 pin rim on it with a chisel chain 15" bar 20" bar and 32" bar.
It dont matter what you put on it, its a screamer. With the 15 and 20 bars its a bullet.

Back