365-372 build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The saw so far only has 2 tanks through it. Would of had more but the c-clip flew off the sprocket and the drum bearing flew apart, so I got that fixed and going to give it back to the tree service for some more run time. Checked compression and its a 140psi now, not bad for the huge squish this has like over .040". I did put caber rings in this saw, didn't like the ones the kit came with.

Will -- I've had a time with the wallowed holes and broken fasteners from vibration. Granted this dog had been rode hard and put away wet, but two heli coils and an easy out are a lot for one saw.

Perhaps I've not figured these correctly, are they held together at three points; cylinder to handle and two spring anti vibes? I keep looking for a couple of rubber anti vibes to add but can't find them in the parts list!

Will -- I've had a time with the wallowed holes and broken fasteners from vibration. Granted this dog had been rode hard and put away wet, but two heli coils and an easy out are a lot for one saw.

Perhaps I've not figured these correctly, are they held together at three points; cylinder to handle and two spring anti vibes? I keep looking for a couple of rubber anti vibes to add but can't find them in the parts list!

Ya I think that's about it, 2 springs under the carb base, 1 spring on the side of the cylinder to the handle. Where are you having problems with the stripped holes? Keenserts or timeserts are much better then a helicoil.

Those blasted little springs -- glad to know there's something else.

The holes were at the front and rear av springs, wallowed out so a 5mm head would pass through them -- I just put washers on it; top of case, one broken and one stripped cover mount; and the off side of the brake handle.

It was obvious the fasteners weren't checked. Interesting that both 365 and 372 cases i have show the same damage. Funny -- my bad cad brings me lots of worn out stuff but I've not seen a pattern like this in another Husky design type.

And thanks again for the carb!:blob2:

Those blasted little springs -- glad to know there's something else.

The holes were at the front and rear av springs, wallowed out so a 5mm head would pass through them -- I just put washers on it; top of case, one broken and one stripped cover mount; and the off side of the brake handle.

It was obvious the fasteners weren't checked. Interesting that both 365 and 372 cases i have show the same damage. Funny -- my bad cad brings me lots of worn out stuff but I've not seen a pattern like this in another Husky design type.

And thanks again for the carb!:blob2:

Your welcome.

Well, this saw met the demise of an air leak:cry: In a spot I'd never check! It was leaking at the carb to intake boot connection, the plastic flange looks warped, no matter how tight I did it, it would leak!!!!! So the piston and cylinder got scored up. Piston toast, I cleaned up the cylinder tonight came out ok, a couple of small marks below the ex port that you can slightly feel, but above the port looks good. So since then, I've gotten another new BB Kit, its getting ported right now. Also going to try a piston swap with the scored jug, I've had this piston for a few years now, and never thought of it, till I knocked it off the top shelf and it fell down, and I looked at it, and was 52mm!! Sweet. So I measured it up, its out of a 272, crown is higher, I had to make a .033" popup to get the squish to .020", skirt is shorter though, and brings the intake duration to 163°, that's a little more then I normally do, but I'm going to try it and see what happens. I think I'll throw the new ported BB on this saw, and the one with the 272 piston in another.

OKEE, little update here, started port work on this new BB Kit. Here are some pics. I think they tell the story.

You can see the stock lowers and modified lowers, big diff.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have tested both the LOW style air filter and the High style filter, they flow the same pertty much up to 300 cfm then the bigger filter is better. BUT chainsaws dont draw not even close to this much air. I have ran 100's of 365 and 372's and the flow does not change with the different air filters.The only advantage the big filter gives you is a longer running time between filter cleanings. If the two filters made that much difference you would see it on a tach when you swap the filters around.

I have tested both the LOW style air filter and the High style filter, they flow the same pertty much up to 300 cfm then the bigger filter is better. BUT chainsaws dont draw not even close to this much air. I have ran 100's of 365 and 372's and the flow does not change with the different air filters.The only advantage the big filter gives you is a longer running time between filter cleanings. If the two filters made that much difference you would see it on a tach when you swap the filters around.

Cool, thanks for the info. I remember this being discussed before as well. I just run what I got.

Just thought I'd pop back in here and update a little. This saw is cursed, I know that for sure. Its blown up 2 top ends, first one was my fault and had and air leak, second one was crappy rings, came apart and caught a ring, completely destroyed the piston and cylinder. So I managed to save the first cylinder and ended up using a 272 piston I had lying around, its got higher crown, so I machined it into a .035 popup I think, did some port work, the tree guy has it back, ran a tank of gas through it. So far he says it keeps up with his well broken in Dolmar 7900, and that's with a 28" bar on the husky and a 24" on the Dolmar, and semi chisel on the Husky and full chisel on the Dolmar, so I think its definitely got more pop then the Dolmar. He brought it back today, so I could check tune, I richened just a hair, and gave it back to him for some more run time.

man that is some nice work,what are you doin the grinding with?

man that is some nice work,what are you doin the grinding with?

Thanks, I have a multitude of tools. I have a Dremel, a rotozip with big bits for heavy work, a Foredom flex shaft, and a dental grinder with the contra angle for doing the upper transfers, and lots of grinding and sanding bits.

Good build Will, just got done with another one of these this weekend. Put a couple tanks of fuel through it today and it is much stronger than the last one I built. I might post a short video if anybody is interested....don't want to be a "thread hijacker" though!!

aww now, just trying to keep us in suspense :msp_sneaky:

Good build Will, just got done with another one of these this weekend. Put a couple tanks of fuel through it today and it is much stronger than the last one I built. I might post a short video if anybody is interested....don't want to be a "thread hijacker" though!!

Yes by all means do. Post away!

I'm working on another 372 right now as well.

well i guess im up to 3 of them now. i cant find any ms440's in good shape so i have started on the 372xp kick. i have finally gotten use to using them. i have a plain 372xp and now have a 372xpw with a hacked up port job(that i will be replacing) and bought a really clean 371xp just a day or two ago. i guess if id known i was going to have so many of these things i should kept the spare parts that i traded to you.lol by the way the 394xp is headed to shellbourne mass. it was fun while i had it

well i guess im up to 3 of them now. i cant find any ms440's in good shape so i have started on the 372xp kick. i have finally gotten use to using them. i have a plain 372xp and now have a 372xpw with a hacked up port job(that i will be replacing) and bought a really clean 371xp just a day or two ago. i guess if id known i was going to have so many of these things i should kept the spare parts that i traded to you.lol by the way the 394xp is headed to shellbourne mass. it was fun while i had it

No more 394. boo hoo. Didn't like it? Well, I'm making good use out of the parts, that's for sure.

nah,the 394 run like a scalded dog but it wont keep up with the 066 round top i just finished. so the loser leaves town.

Back