365 special want more power any ideas????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan365husky

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
any one out got some ideas on how to get some more power out of my 365 husqvarna special it runs great right now i just was reading on another tread about BB to a 372 what does this mean big bore and piston boring out the jug and installing larger oversize piston.? can i also do something to the muffler i am willing to try if someone has the know how and lets me know i can do it. work as an auto tech and love playing with chainsaws and small engine i just know as much about them as car i am learning. also am interested in maybe someday making a high performance saw for competition.:chainsaw:

:greenchainsaw:

Dan36, I would suggest using the search function as there are lots of upgrades on power to the 365 as it is the same base saw as the 372 and there are lots of articles on muffler modifications and swapping parts as well as porting modifications. There is tons of info in the archives as this is a very popular saw to upgrade.

Dan36, I would suggest using the search function as there are lots of upgrades on power to the 365 as it is the same base saw as the 372 and there are lots of articles on muffler modifications and swapping parts as well as porting modifications. There is tons of info in the archives as this is a very popular saw to upgrade.

thanks for the info i first may try some muffler mods as long as i know it wont hurt the saws longevity or lifetime also found piston upgrade on ebay for around a 100 dollars for i believe 2 mm larger piston and jug assembly i will search some threads to find out more on muffler mods.

:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw:

I have a 365 special also and will be installing the 372 bb kit as soon as funds allow. I believe it works out to 76cc. There is some good info on here if you do a search. If you start with a muffler mod post the results please. I am going the start with a bb kit and go from there.

If you have the 365 with the clamp on type intake boot the 372bb is pretty much a bolt on, otherwise you need a stock 372 intake boot. Some 365s have a bolt on intake boot that bolts to the jug, this intake wont work with bb jug or stock 372 jug.

You will likely need to tweak the carb settings a bit too after changing jugs.

i did the BB mod this spring after i killed my old cylinder.
110$ from baileys for the cylinder and piston. it was the first time i have ever worked on a motor. very easy mod to do, i am no mechanic and it was simple. if you can do LEGO you can do BB mod. i then also put a hole in the muffler as well. its a whole different saw now. from 65cc to 76.5cc is a big jump and i definatly noticed a big difference in power. i love when i rev it up to WOT it just jumps in my hands fromt he acceloration.

does any know will the larger 52 mm piston and chug shorten the life of the rest of the saws parts that would shure increase the horspower rating and torque the saws seems for power but more power is always better right. that seems like a large jump in cc 65 to 76 but i might think about it once i get my 020t stihl running correctly. i found one on ebay selling for around a 100 dollars with under 15 shipping cost. does it matter if it is aftermarket or not or does husqvarna even offer a BB kit and are their different quality standards in the aftermarket for something like this?:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw:

does any know will the larger 52 mm piston and chug shorten the life of the rest of the saws parts that would shure increase the horspower rating and torque the saws seems for power but more power is always better right. that seems like a large jump in cc 65 to 76 but i might think about it once i get my 020t stihl running correctly. i found one on ebay selling for around a 100 dollars with under 15 shipping cost. does it matter if it is aftermarket or not or does husqvarna even offer a BB kit and are their different quality standards in the aftermarket for something like this?:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw:

The only husky factory BB kit is from the 375 chop saw. It is 51.4mm and will cost you over 300 bucks.

The stock 372 topened is 50mm

and your 365 is a 48mm.

I have a 365 with a 375K topend that was modded by another member and runs like a raped ape, and it spins really high Rpm. Haven't had any problems with it yet.

If there isn't anything wrong with your 365, then I wouldn't just rush right out and buy the BB kit. If your saw is burnt up the BB kit makes a reasonable priced aftermarket topend.

The 365 will outrun a stock 372 with some minor mods. If you want to get into modding your saw, the rewards of doing it yourself are very awesome.

You need to find out if you have an open or closed port cylinder.

Without tearing your saw apart, what year is your saw and is it a special or not?

The only husky factory BB kit is from the 375 chop saw. It is 51.4mm and will cost you over 300 bucks.

The stock 372 topened is 50mm

and your 365 is a 48mm.

I have a 365 with a 375K topend that was modded by another member and runs like a raped ape, and it spins really high Rpm. Haven't had any problems with it yet.

If there isn't anything wrong with your 365, then I wouldn't just rush right out and buy the BB kit. If your saw is burnt up the BB kit makes a reasonable priced aftermarket topend.

The 365 will outrun a stock 372 with some minor mods. If you want to get into modding your saw, the rewards of doing it yourself are very awesome.

You need to find out if you have an open or closed port cylinder.

Without tearing your saw apart, what year is your saw and is it a special or not?

it is a 365 special i know that for sure i have looked on the saw but could not find a build date my 257 says on the tag but the 365 does not can you tell buy the serial or model #s. should i start with a muffler mod first the piston and chug on saw are in very good condition no scoring present. explain please what open or closed port means in more detail. i am a car repair tech just love playing with saws more than working on cars everyday. if i should try a muffler mod where should i start i know the basic but their must be certain things that will get the best results.the kit that is on ebay right now is a 52 mm bore i just looked again.

:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw:

Last edited:
Ok, if it is a special it is a closed port saw. this is good for performance.

The year can be found on the ID tag.

The tag will look something like this
xxxxxxx-xx-xx
YY -xxxx-xxx

The first two letters on the bottom row are the year. example is 99 is 1999

00= 2000, etc.

What carb does yours have? Walbro or Zama?

The closed port saw is setup similar to a stihl, but I will try to find you pics.

Start with a muffler mod. there are plenty of differant pics on the site that you can use to design yours. The easiest is through the muffler bracket. Start with a hole 5/8 -3/4 and you can always go from there.

How confident do you feel in tearing the piston and cylinder apart and porting it yourself?

it isn't hard if you have basic tool knowledge, but I don't want to see anyone ruin their saw but taking too much material, or not radiusing ports causing damage to the piston and or cylinder.

You are going to have to either remove, or modify the limiter caps on the carb so you can get the required fuel. You probably won't have enough movement just doing a muffler mod, let alone any porting with the stock carb settings/limiters

Ok, if it is a special it is a closed port saw. this is good for performance.

The year can be found on the ID tag.

The tag will look something like this
xxxxxxx-xx-xx
YY -xxxx-xxx

The first two letters on the bottom row are the year. example is 99 is 1999

00= 2000, etc.

What carb does yours have? Walbro or Zama?

The closed port saw is setup similar to a stihl, but I will try to find you pics.

Start with a muffler mod. there are plenty of differant pics on the site that you can use to design yours. The easiest is through the muffler bracket. Start with a hole 5/8 -3/4 and you can always go from there.

How confident do you feel in tearing the piston and cylinder apart and porting it yourself?

it isn't hard if you have basic tool knowledge, but I don't want to see anyone ruin their saw but taking too much material, or not radiusing ports causing damage to the piston and or cylinder.

You are going to have to either remove, or modify the limiter caps on the carb so you can get the required fuel. You probably won't have enough movement just doing a muffler mod, let alone any porting with the stock carb settings/limiters

it is a 99 model year with a zama carb im not sure the limiters are on the carb if they are im sure i can get them off even if i do have put them back on.
are you talking porting the intake and exhaust making them larger i could do that without any concerns i beleive. and radiusing the intake and exhaust ports does that mean rounding the edged so the ring do not catch or something else. sorry i just liking asking lots of questions i would rather know for certain than think i know and screw up cause than i would have to fix my own screw up. ha ha!!!:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw:

it is a 99 model year with a zama carb im not sure the limiters are on the carb if they are im sure i can get them off even if i do have put them back on.
are you talking porting the intake and exhaust making them larger i could do that without any concerns i beleive. and radiusing the intake and exhaust ports does that mean rounding the edged so the ring do not catch or something else. sorry i just liking asking lots of questions i would rather know for certain than think i know and screw up cause than i would have to fix my own screw up. ha ha!!!:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw:

Cool, that is what my 365's started life as as older ones with Zama carbs.

I have problems with the Zama's not getting enough enough to the motor when modding them. I switched mine to the later Walbro's.

Your questions are good. there is nothing wrong with sking questions. You sound willing, and sounds like you have a little bit of knowledge...so, mod the muffler and see what you find. Then we can play with the p/c.

i'll have to dig up some pics

i do some searchs of threads and find some muffler mods pics and how to and i will try it out and yes i will make certain i reset the low and high mixtures before cutting much would. the best way i have found to set the high idle mixture is when i cutting a larger piece of wood and adjusting the screw until it cuts the best with highest rpm and them turning the screw back to just slightly rich. is this the correct way of adjusting the high idle or is their a better away. when i was a kid i watched a guy at a husqvarna dealer set the high fuel screw in this manner.

:greenchainsaw: :spam:

The Doc will get ya fixed up Dan!! Don't be skeerd, it's really not that hard. A Dremel, basic tools, a steady hand, and some time!!!

I'm still kicking around you're 365 Doc, might be nice companion to the 046:)

The Doc will get ya fixed up Dan!! Don't be skeerd, it's really not that hard. A Dremel, basic tools, a steady hand, and some time!!!

I'm still kicking around you're 365 Doc, might be nice companion to the 046:)

It's sold.....pending payment. Another member bought it that bought another saw from me a year or so ago.

what type of searce should i do for how to mod a muffler i been lookin and kind find what i want to, help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:greenchainsaw: :monkey:

yes i found that also after looking some more i just not sure if i must take my muffler apart or just drill a couple of holes in it and weld some pipes in the holes. what size pipe and such for a 365 husky. wow once i found the threads so much info im not sure which end is up and which end is down ya know what i mean.

:chainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

check this thread out.....

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=14349&highlight=double+barrel

Here is one of mine from long ago. Still my favorite.

attachment.php

Back