365 xt into a ported 372

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started the thread after my initial run and decided to remove the gasket, at that point I was at .015 and thought I needed a little more so I went with the homemade gasket and I ended up with what I have now.

What was your squish with the factory gasket?
I never checked it. My initial plan was to leave it but after running it I decided it needed a little more snot, I had planned on checking it but got a little preoccupied with removing the gasket and forgot to check.

Brad, my 2012 372xt was about 33 / 34 thou stock

24 min mark is where I check squish

34 thou is quite a bit tighter than all the other stock husky saws i've tried... most are around 42/43 thousandths.

usually a base gasket delete puts you at 25 thou, because the stock gaskets are around 17/18 thou

but if the xt is at 33 stock - 17 you get 16 (close to ironworker's 15 thou)

34 thou is quite a bit tighter than all the other stock husky saws i've tried... most are around 42/43 thousandths.

usually a base gasket delete puts you at 25 thou, because the stock gaskets are around 17/18 thou

I was pretty surprised with the .015 that I got and I checked a bunch of times with different technics.

I never checked it. My initial plan was to leave it but after running it I decided it needed a little more snot, I had planned on checking it but got a little preoccupied with removing the gasket and forgot to check.
If you'd like to measure it, send it to me and I'll cut the base for a .018"-.020" squish with the factory gasket. Pro bono.

If you'd like to measure it, send it to me and I'll cut the base for a .018"-.020" squish with the factory gasket. Pro bono.
Thanks for the offer Brad that's mighty nice. I ran it with a 24" bar and I'm pretty happy with it, it's gonna be my main firewood saw with a 20" bar.

So I get home and a bushing for my degree wheel shows up, I go in my shop and fiddle around with that and notice an air filter, I look in the box where I have my 359 in parts and there's already an air filter, so I guess I need to go out and retune, I thought the 365 was a little lean yesterday:eek:

And here's the new gasket about.009
image.jpg

Great job, love it.

Ironman, if you have someone take 20-30 thou out of the squish band and an appropriate mathematical amount off the base to get .020 squish, the saw will run betterer.

You'll lower the exhaust a few degrees for more torque, increase compression, but reduce case compression cause of a lower intake. You'll have to raise the transfers again and possibly Devcon the intake floor back up.

You didn't mention intake timing.

Could be wrong on this model, but I thought keeping and shaping the intake divider was better than removal. Kept intake charge speed higher.

Pretty saw.

Great job, love it.

Ironman, if you have someone take 20-30 thou out of the squish band and an appropriate mathematical amount off the base to get .020 squish, the saw will run betterer.

You'll lower the exhaust a few degrees for more torque, increase compression, but reduce case compression cause of a lower intake. You'll have to raise the transfers again and possibly Devcon the intake floor back up.

Could be wrong on this model, but I thought keeping and shaping the intake divider was better than removal. Kept intake charge speed higher.

Pretty saw.
I left the intake but just removed a little off of the piston skirt (.030) for a little more duration. Between work, kid's sports and cutting firewood, I don't have time to mess with it anymore, I'm happy with it, it'll be my main firewood saw.

Great job, love it.

Pretty saw.

The 365 has that divider as a way to detune the saw. It's the same jug as a 372XT except for those dividers. They really don't divide BTW, they restrict. Their angle is such that flow is choked off in about half of the transfer tunnel.

Latest posts

Back