365 xt into a ported 372

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started the thread after my initial run and decided to remove the gasket, at that point I was at .015 and thought I needed a little more so I went with the homemade gasket and I ended up with what I have now.

What was your squish with the factory gasket?
I never checked it. My initial plan was to leave it but after running it I decided it needed a little more snot, I had planned on checking it but got a little preoccupied with removing the gasket and forgot to check.

Brad, my 2012 372xt was about 33 / 34 thou stock

24 min mark is where I check squish

34 thou is quite a bit tighter than all the other stock husky saws i've tried... most are around 42/43 thousandths.

usually a base gasket delete puts you at 25 thou, because the stock gaskets are around 17/18 thou

but if the xt is at 33 stock - 17 you get 16 (close to ironworker's 15 thou)

34 thou is quite a bit tighter than all the other stock husky saws i've tried... most are around 42/43 thousandths.

usually a base gasket delete puts you at 25 thou, because the stock gaskets are around 17/18 thou

I was pretty surprised with the .015 that I got and I checked a bunch of times with different technics.

I never checked it. My initial plan was to leave it but after running it I decided it needed a little more snot, I had planned on checking it but got a little preoccupied with removing the gasket and forgot to check.
If you'd like to measure it, send it to me and I'll cut the base for a .018"-.020" squish with the factory gasket. Pro bono.

If you'd like to measure it, send it to me and I'll cut the base for a .018"-.020" squish with the factory gasket. Pro bono.
Thanks for the offer Brad that's mighty nice. I ran it with a 24" bar and I'm pretty happy with it, it's gonna be my main firewood saw with a 20" bar.

So I get home and a bushing for my degree wheel shows up, I go in my shop and fiddle around with that and notice an air filter, I look in the box where I have my 359 in parts and there's already an air filter, so I guess I need to go out and retune, I thought the 365 was a little lean yesterday:eek:

And here's the new gasket about.009
image.jpg

Great job, love it.

Ironman, if you have someone take 20-30 thou out of the squish band and an appropriate mathematical amount off the base to get .020 squish, the saw will run betterer.

You'll lower the exhaust a few degrees for more torque, increase compression, but reduce case compression cause of a lower intake. You'll have to raise the transfers again and possibly Devcon the intake floor back up.

You didn't mention intake timing.

Could be wrong on this model, but I thought keeping and shaping the intake divider was better than removal. Kept intake charge speed higher.

Pretty saw.

Great job, love it.

Ironman, if you have someone take 20-30 thou out of the squish band and an appropriate mathematical amount off the base to get .020 squish, the saw will run betterer.

You'll lower the exhaust a few degrees for more torque, increase compression, but reduce case compression cause of a lower intake. You'll have to raise the transfers again and possibly Devcon the intake floor back up.

Could be wrong on this model, but I thought keeping and shaping the intake divider was better than removal. Kept intake charge speed higher.

Pretty saw.
I left the intake but just removed a little off of the piston skirt (.030) for a little more duration. Between work, kid's sports and cutting firewood, I don't have time to mess with it anymore, I'm happy with it, it'll be my main firewood saw.

Great job, love it.

Pretty saw.

The 365 has that divider as a way to detune the saw. It's the same jug as a 372XT except for those dividers. They really don't divide BTW, they restrict. Their angle is such that flow is choked off in about half of the transfer tunnel.

Back