372 availability

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bremen

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So... about a week ago I had a momentary lapse of judgement when the local dealer quoted me $400 for the new 346XP (E-tech) on his wall. I had really just stopped to look around and compare a few models in person, size/weight/ergos etc, but we see how well that turned out.

I should mention that the 346 is technically *my* first saw. I've been using a Husky 51 for somewhere around 10 years now with no complaints, but dad plunked down the cash on that one. Just got to the point I wanted my own toys. So here's the problem:

That little 346XP is great, zippy and fits my needs well, but it sure would look nice with a big brother around. Say, a 372XP or so. I know the 575's are out but they just seem a little piggy for what they are. I toyed with the thought of a 385 that could do light CSM work (not that I have one), but I think I'd put a lighter saw to better use. Still pondering that one. Sure I could buy a 2171 or even a 7900, but they wouldn't have that lovely orange color. Let me be clear - I do not really need another saw, nor do I really need any number of pro saws. I don't cut that much wood. That's not the point :D ...but oh yeah, the point of this post:

What's the story with the 372XP? I understand it's being phased out in the US due to emissions requirements or such, but are they all gone yet? If not, where should I look? Are they priced silly high because of fools like me that want one? What about Canada? I live minutes from Canada and still see the 372 listed on http://www.husqvarna.ca , can I just drive over and pick one up? My apologies if this has all been hashed over before, I'm just keen to find out of I can get one of Husky's best saws while they're still around.

first of all, stay away from e-techs if thats possible (atleast over here it is)...

then, about saws, 346xp/353 is great choice for small wood (<18"), but if you want something bigger you cant really go wrong with 372xp...

If you arent looking for a brand new 372 I have close to 10 used ones I would sell to you. I have some that are only a couple months old and some that are a couple years old.

The official word at a Husky meeting 2 weeks ago, was that the 372 would not be coming back for another encore like they did last year when they brought in 3500 units. The new 2007 price lists arrived this week, and neither the 372 or the 365 are on it. They do list the 362XP and this was explained that they essentially "found" a bunch of them in the corner of a warehouse in Sweden and decided to bring them over. But when they are gone, that's it.

Look around as there are some 372's still out in the field. But don't let anyone gouge you on the price.

Also, reading between the lines, I would say that X-torq is the future, and E-tech, (cat mufflers), is the past. X-torq works, and there are some heat issues with the cat mufflers that can't be made to go away.

blis said:
first of all, stay away from e-techs if thats possible (atleast over here it is)...

then, about saws, 346xp/353 is great choice for small wood (<18"), but if you want something bigger you cant really go wrong with 372xp...

You can purchase a pre-E tech (non catalytic) replacement muffler through your dealer or from one of ArboristSite's sponsors. Simple to install.

Urbicide said:
You can purchase a pre-E tech (non catalytic) replacement muffler through your dealer or from one of ArboristSite's sponsors. Simple to install.

I think I may do this at some point. I'd probably buy the pre-E, mod that muffler lightly, then pull a muffler swap and remove the limiters to retune. Am I correct that the catalytic muffler and limiter caps are the only parts that are different on an E-tech 346XP? Well, and the green gas cap..

Bremen said:
I think I may do this at some point. I'd probably buy the pre-E, mod that muffler lightly, then pull a muffler swap and remove the limiters to retune. Am I correct that the catalytic muffler and limiter caps are the only parts that are different on an E-tech 346XP? Well, and the green gas cap..

e-tech means cat muffler and green cap (ugly!)... limiter tabs come with all saws nowadays...

I don't mean to hi jack your thread Bremen so I apologize up front.

Since we're talking about E-tech models, I'm going to get a 353 pretty soon. It has the E-tech engine I believe. It has the green fuel cap. Can I swap the muffler on it? I DON'T want a modded muffler, just the non-cat muffler! The quitter the better! If I do so will it void my warranty? Also what will I have to do as far as retuning the carb for the new muffler? I wonder if my dealer would/could help me out with this change! Sorry for some many stupid questions!

NYH1 said:
I don't mean to hi jack your thread Bremen so I apologize up front.

Since we're talking about E-tech models, I'm going to get a 353 pretty soon. It has the E-tech engine I believe. It has the green fuel cap. Can I swap the muffler on it? I DON'T want a modded muffler, just the non-cat muffler! The quitter the better! If I do so will it void my warranty? Also what will I have to do as far as retuning the carb for the new muffler? I wonder if my dealer would/could help me out with this change! Sorry for some many stupid questions!
Husqvarna part #503 86 28-03 is non-cat muffler for the 353.

NYH1 said:
Urbicide, thanks! I'm just worried about setting the carb and it voiding my warranty!
Keep the cat muffler to reinstall in the event of major service required (highly unlikely if you watch your fuel mix, keep air filter clean, carb adjusted properly). There is nothing on the mufflers that shouts E tech or non-E tech other than a hard to read part number. Your saw would probably last longer with the non-cat muffler anyway.

Latest posts

Back