372 is a gas hog

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
yesterday was a big fire wood day.
i talked a freind into helping me i thought haveing help other then my wife would make things go faster(decided my wife is more help), more on this later.
anyways the wood being cut was doug fir. first tree was wider than the 32" bar on the 372, i feel this fell went well i think the stump looks much better then my last tree but im debateing positing it. well see i probly will. took alot of walking around looking at this monster from every angle till i finaly decided to cut a knotch in it.

so i get it cut and on the ground and freinds starts limbing with the 026 and and i figure ill just limb with the 372 so i go to limbing and get few limbs knocked off and she hesitates and i shut her down out of fuel.

i refuel and oil and to make a long story short my buddy ended up dign trenches with the 044 and pretty close to a brand new rsf chain while buckn. hes like its getn dull i go no crud its getn dull look that trench you just dug. i told him im not even gona try and sharpn that here. so grab the 026 and start buckn on the small end and keep the tip out of the dirt pretty soon i look over the 026 is danceing across the top off the tree burbln under no load. so both saws down the for count.

that left the 372 to buck the rest of this tree and fell another. both of these trees were plenty big enough for the 32" bar and the 372 handled them very well. i did alittle tweakn on the H screw and just started cutn while my freind loaded.. for the day it burned 4 gallons on its own i was actualy startn to worry that running out of fuel was going to keep me from loading the trailer.

maybe pics and short vid of the 372 bucking big firewood later this evening i have to work today and find some time to unload the trailer. so no eye candy for now.

Evan

Evan, post those pics and don't worry about any critism of your work. Sounds like you did well. I always have multiple sharp chains on hand when starting a job, especially when using chisel chain.

you have a hole in your tank or a hole in your can.....how big was these fur's?....i cut 40 rounds(18" to 32") of oak and hickory the other day with 372 20" bar on 1 tank....is she runnin' a little rich?

i'm not callin' you a liar....just don't make sence.....

Last edited:
How many hours were you cutting for Evan?
4 gallons is certainly possible with a 32" bar buried and maybe 8-9 hours of cutting. Both my stock and modded 7900 would do this easily. I've done 3 1/2 gallons just felling with a 32" bar.
In saying that though 8-9 hours is a lot of cutting on just two trees. I think maybe it's running a bit rich or you have a leak? Could be wrong mate and certainly not calling you a liar but that's a lot of fuel through a 372 for just two trees, even if they were about 42" odd. However if that 32" was buried for most of the day and the saw was REALLY working hard 4 gallons is certainly believable. I also don't know just how hard Douglas Fir is. I'm guessing medium tough?

P.S.
Post piccys! We love piccys mate...
By the way, if you post a pic of a badly cut stump, I'll be able to post a worse picture to make you feel better :)

Video Evan, we need to see the video please! I know what your talking about when it comes to those ported saws drinking the fuel. My ported 390XP really guzzles the fuel down. But do I sure have fun running that thing. :cheers:

4 gals. of fuel is alot never have I used that much even on hard wood trunks
I guess anything possiable maybe running on not so sharp chain?

I don't think I've ever used more than 3 gallons a day milling with an 066. Usually closer to 2 gallons.

It'll definitely suck more fuel it it is tuned rich. If you tune it at home, might need to retune for mountains.

4 gallons is a lot of fuel. That is one thristy saw.

Pix are a must. I wouldn't say my stumps are great, but they land where I want them and no one get hurt. So they're pretty that way.

I have an 066 that would use a whole tank in less than 5 minutes, just sitting idling, but it had a huge gap in the cylinder gasket.

Last edited:
It must have been working pretty hard is all I can think of?

I think a 32 is a little much for a 372, but thats me I sure dont dont know it all, an 80+cc saw seems more suited?

We dont need saws or bars that big here so really have no experience with it just guessing.

Kansas

4 gallons?? I have a new 372xpw, and I have done around 5 cords with it so far, felled and bucked and I am still on the first 2 gallons of gas I mixed up. There's a problem somewhere....

I'm guessing you must have worked at least a 12 hour day? I worked about 4 hours Saturday with the 440 and 346 and used less than 1 gallon. The was running one saw or the other almost non stop.

Funny you should should mention that. I cut a bunch of aspen and lodgepole with my 440 this past weekend. I forgot what a light drinker that saw is. I was getting pretty tired and was hoping the saw would run out of fuel so I could take a break :)....but it kept going for a LONG time in between fill-ups.

4 true gallons. i was amazed to though i didnt bring enough gas

all saws started the day full, topped off at home. then stopped at the gas station and filled 2 2.5gal cans mixed at 40 to one. both the 026 and 044 didnt even drink a tank of fuel filled at home.

the 372 however bucked and fell from about 7 am to 6 also limbing. then a almost 2 hour drive home got home at eight. left the house at 5am.

372 was tuned on the mtn and the 32" bar bucked way more then 40 rds out past the tip. ounce i realized my freind didnt need to be cutting i bucked rounds and he loaded. ive got a pic from yesterday of the first tree its almost wider then the entire saw is long. still buckn rds from both side with the 372 and 32"

ill get pic of the trailer load before i un load it, this is load from over the summer.
the trailer is still load from yesterday.
GEDC0314.jpg

i also dont know that i realy want to pack the 660 around i bucked from the small end up hill then i got to point the tree lifted it self 4-5 foot of the ground my arms are very sore from buckn rds up in the air. youl see in the vid

ill post pics of the stump , in the pic i have two wedges sitn where they were as the tree slowly went over as i was pounding the wedges. it would have made good vid is saw her start going and pulled the saw stood back and lookd for minute as she creeked and didnt go then i set the saw out of reach of the tree incase it went bad then i pounded on both wedges a few times it started movn and i got out there as it went right over.. and even in the direction i wanted.

ohhh these were huge rds the 372 was also doing alot of quartering because i left the splitting maul at home i was so pissed this wood was so dry all i needed was my maul to quater them down.

i was also shocked to burn through 4 gallons i usualy between all 3 saws dont go through that much.

latly ive been finding this size tree the rest of the fire wood cutters dont touch them. the smaller tree from yesterday was about like this. im not even going to throw a guess out there on how big the bigger tree was

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid661.photobucket.com/albums/uu339/Evan03_photo/saw%20stuff/GEDC0886.flv">

this is an old vid cutn cookies in the wood pile.

Last edited:
The 372 I put a big bore kit on drank gas. It went through almost two tanks in less than an hour. The 460 I had with a big bore would go through a tank in 15-20 minutes bucking firewood. I would believe that one of them saws could use 4 gallons in a day.

Evan,

My 372 is a thirsty girl as well, and goes through the mix pretty quick on the bigger stuff. but NOT that much fuel.:dizzy:

Something to consider. Your helper was flogging your 044 and the 026.
Figure a gallon there, IF the goof didn't spill a gallon in addition to what he burned.

I ain't sayin he spilled 2 Gallons, but it sure seems like a possibility.;)

Check the saw for a leak... if it's burning that much fuel, ya got some issues!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

In Evan's defence here fellas he did work an 11 hour day.
When I have been felling larger trees with my 7900's and a 32" bar buried you'd be surprised how much extra fuel saws can use. On smaller trees I can drop just over 40 on just one tank. With larger tres (40" odd) and the bar buried on all felling cuts I was only felling about 8-9 trees per tank or roughly 12-15 minutes per tank. I would suspect Evan may have been going through the same amount even though the 372 is a bit smaller than my 7900's.
I believe him :)

The fuel tank on a 372 is 1.62 pints, 4 gallons is 32 pints so thats just shy of 20 tanks, or under 2 tanks per hour for 11 hours. Sounds totally believable to me, sounds like a dang tough day though. you went through more gas that one day than I have all year so far.

Latest posts

Back