372 or 390

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still crying over missing out on the ported 395 from a few months back at about $650.

Looking at a used 2012 390XP 28" bar and 3 chains $900 looks extremely low hours if even broke in guessing less than 10tanks of fuel.

A new 395 guessing in the $1500 ballpark.:eek: an extra $600 for something that is basically going to be a toy, If it was something I was still making money with it might be a bit different decision.
Just picked up a new 395xp powerhead for $1100

I don't know where your located but here local on marketplaces is a 395 for $500.

Just picked up a new 395xp powerhead for $1100
Yessir the $1500 was just appx $ that I pulled off Bailey's with 28" B&C, someone else indicated a possible upcoming sale price around $980 shipped do not think that included tax.

I run a 28" on my 390xp and it pulls better than 24" on 70cc saws. Different feel from the smaller saws that scream, like running a 550xp with a 16", lower rpm but you can sink it in hardwood and it just keeps munching.
I run a 36" on it as well when the need arises but mainly avoid it, you definitely wouldn't be impressed with a 36" in red oak. I run full house but skip would be more respectable.
On a different note the new Husqvarna X-tough Light bars are made my Sugi and a 28" is perfect balance on the saw. Looks nice to!PXL_20220423_220605014.jpg

Yessir the $1500 was just appx $ that I pulled off Bailey's with 28" B&C, someone else indicated a possible upcoming sale price around $980 shipped do not think that included tax.

im giving thought to a Dolmar 7900. lil bump in power from the 70cc options listed.
I have a 7900 for sale listed here.

Looking to add a bigger saw not that I need one just because I can. Not saying any of the saws I list cannot pull longer bars just what I found was what I liked or not, and the way I like the saw to pull and giving reference to the way I want the next saw to pull 24-28"chain length.
Husky Rancher 61 ran with a 16" B&C did not like the way it pulled a 20"
Husky 266XP 16" did not like the way it pulled a 20"
Wanted a saw to pull a 20" so moved on from the previous Huskies.
Stihl 044s 20" did not like the way it pulled a 24" and still running them with 20" today.
Tried a friends Stihl 462 with 24" did not like the way it pulled it I thanked him for letting me try his saw.
Still running Stihl 026/260/261 running 16" never bothered trying longer bars from past experience with 60cc Huskies.

Will the 372 pull a 24" the same as my 044s pulling a 20"? I have my doubts it will pull a 28" like my 044s pulling 20"
Will the 390 pull a 28" chain the same as my 044s pulling a 20"

Main usage would be bucking firewood 24-30" Red Oak, Anything smaller than 24" wood would most likely revert back to my 044s pulling 20" chain and 261s limbing and or smaller wood bucking.

Thanks for bearing with me threw that rather long post.
Try a Pro660 on Amazon if you are looking to save money get a New saw that will pull a 28” and be able to use OEM parts for a Stihl ! I’ve never seen one in use other than on You Tube.They are using them commercially and really have no complaints considering you can buy the power head for $469 in the box.

I swapped my 395 out for a 390 mainly because after 4 tanks of fuel I was out of gas! the 395 belongs wearing a 36" + bar. If you are talking 32" and down the 390 is fine. Mine will pull my 36" with ease after MM got done with it. So for what you want the 390 would be my go to. It has a 28" on it right now and that like Bobbo said is a very good fit for it. I honestly don't miss the 395 as with the smaller bars as you are talking the 390 cuts faster. CJ

I don't know about some of these guys. Personally, I like a bigger saw. I hear all these comments about how the weight savings of the smaller saws is better, but I don't agree. My small saw is a 372 and a 572, and I run a 660 and a 395 when I'm not messing around. I would rather work harder for a short amount of time than less hard for a longer period. I can do in 15 minutes what the guys with 60cc saws can do in 30 or 45. I'll gladly take a powerhead that weighs a few more pounds in exchange for the increased power. The 32 or 36 inch bars make it so I don't have to bend over much. Personal preference, but I'd go with the 390 or 395 and never look back. Better yet, look for a 592! It's been on my want list for a while. I've never regretted any money spent on quality tools. They perform better, give you more pleasure, and if you get in a bind they are always worth money. Personal preference, but I say go big.
Good luck, Cody

I run a 28" on my 390xp and it pulls better than 24" on 70cc saws. Different feel from the smaller saws that scream, like running a 550xp with a 16", lower rpm but you can sink it in hardwood and it just keeps munching.
I run a 36" on it as well when the need arises but mainly avoid it, you definitely wouldn't be impressed with a 36" in red oak. I run full house but skip would be more respectable.
On a different note the new Husqvarna X-tough Light bars are made my Sugi and a 28" is perfect balance on the saw. Looks nice to!View attachment 983782
This gets close to my original post the only thing is as I said I don't like the way a 70cc saw pulls a 24".

I don't know about some of these guys. Personally, I like a bigger saw. I hear all these comments about how the weight savings of the smaller saws is better, but I don't agree. My small saw is a 372 and a 572, and I run a 660 and a 395 when I'm not messing around. I would rather work harder for a short amount of time than less hard for a longer period. I can do in 15 minutes what the guys with 60cc saws can do in 30 or 45. I'll gladly take a powerhead that weighs a few more pounds in exchange for the increased power. The 32 or 36 inch bars make it so I don't have to bend over much. Personal preference, but I'd go with the 390 or 395 and never look back. Better yet, look for a 592! It's been on my want list for a while. I've never regretted any money spent on quality tools. They perform better, give you more pleasure, and if you get in a bind they are always worth money. Personal preference, but I say go big.
Good luck, Cody
I hear what you are saying but I am wondering is if are they referring to the difference between bucking firewood or standing on a log deck vs felling and bucking on a mountain side? carrying the saw more than cutting ie fell walk 20-30 ft buck a log walk another 20-30ft buck another log and repeat.

I hear what you are saying but I am wondering is if are they referring to the difference between bucking firewood or standing on a log deck vs felling and bucking on a mountain side? carrying the saw more than cutting ie fell walk 20-30 ft buck a log walk another 20-30ft buck another log and repeat.
Yeah, when I'm doing tree stuff around the yard I typically hike 3-5 miles per day doing felling and bucking on slopes, so a lighter saw is definitely a bigger concern for me. If I was staying with a 500' radius of a wood pile bucking logs I wouldn't worry about weight so much.

Whole nother rabbit hole just spotted the new 592XP :eek: 16.7lbs 7.6HP roughly $130 more expensive than either the 390 or 395, 592 splits the weight between the other 2 roughly in the middle and rated HP is appx 1 more pony.:surprised3: Eeeeeeghatz I only have 1 1/2 weeks to decide.

Go for it!
Seriously considering it just waiting on a few details $ to be ironed out, If I can get it around the $1200 mark with 28" B&C most likely the route/hole I will be headed down. Next decision is if trying to save 3% is worth having the wife know how much I am spending she controls the Paypal account or do I just put it on my CC and not tell her. :surprised3:

Yeah, when I'm doing tree stuff around the yard I typically hike 3-5 miles per day doing felling and bucking on slopes, so a lighter saw is definitely a bigger concern for me. If I was staying with a 500' radius of a wood pile bucking logs I wouldn't worry about weight so much.
My father in law is a logger. He uses either a echo 7310 or jonsered 2172 for getting the trees down and limbed up. At the log deck he uses a jonsered 2188. He says there is no need to pack around the extra weight of a big saw through the brush. I have seen him take some trees down close to 60" with a 24" bar. And 95% of the timber he cuts is all hardwood. When worked with him and cut, I only used a 20" and 24"bar. The biggest tree I cut was a 48" red oak.

Seriously considering it just waiting on a few details $ to be ironed out, If I can get it around the $1200 mark with 28" B&C most likely the route/hole I will be headed down. Next decision is if trying to save 3% is worth having the wife know how much I am spending she controls the Paypal account or do I just put it on my CC and not tell her. :surprised3:
Just go for it. You won't regret it. That's what I did anyways.

Latest posts

Back