372 vs 385 Husky

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnum783

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I am a small business with not a large capital. I am looking for a bigger saw most likely the biggest bar I would ever run is 32" so I would manly be running 25"-30" normally. Would like the best saw for this use. I like to have a saw that is very versitile. Which one of these saws would you guys recomend.
Thanks

For what you want, neither!!! The 372 will not be really happy with the 32", and you wont be happy with the weight of the 385 for a normal use saw. If you can get a 372 and have it modded, you are in like flyn!!!! Or better yet, find a burnt up 372, wait a bit and have a builder (Dean at Washington Hotsaws for example) put the big bore kit and wodds port on it, I think you will be nothing but impresssed!!! From what I have read on the 385, it's pretty weak and heavy in stock form.
Andy

In Western Oregon, 32" is the norm on the 372.

I have a 385 and owned a 372. Wish I hadn't sold the 372:heart: . 385 has plenty of good stuff, just a lot heavier.

Can I offer another sugestion?

This is way off, but is there a reason you want a Husky or will anothe brand do?

I am thinking you are a canidate for a Dolmar 7900.
Andy

Husky or stihl

There are not any Dolmar Or Jony dealers around. For the most part it is just Stihl and Husky plus Baileys has a pretty good deal on these two.

Magnum783 said:
There are not any Dolmar Or Jony dealers around. For the most part it is just Stihl and Husky plus Baileys has a pretty good deal on these two.

Why isn't the MS460 an option????

Get the 372.

It'll work for the majority of the things that a 25-30" bar will cut, with less cost and less weight.

When you put the 32" on it, get a skip chain and take your time.

Andy

I believe that the 372 in question is the xpw version offered by Baileys at the moment, and that one is quite a bit heavier than a standard 372xp......

SawTroll said:
I believe that the 372 in question is the xpw version offered by Baileys at the moment, and that one is quite a bit heavier than a standard 372xp......

OK, I was thinking the standard 372xp.

Compare the specs before you buy!!

If the 372 in question is the Bailey's model, then I would go with a MS 460, or a Dolmar 7900 (if you want to try something new!) :popcorn:

Andy

SawTroll said:

Bailey's says they are the same 14.56

Do you know anyone who hasn’t been happy with the 372?
Get the 372, open up the muffler and get ready to be very happy.:greenchainsaw:
Muffler mod is basically free, and the 372 responds very well to it.:jawdrop:

Magnum783 said:
Bailey's says they are the same 14.56
They probably are, provided both have the high air filter cower, the full wrap handle, and probably larger "dawgs" also - but the standard unit is quite a bit lighter........:)

Edit; I looked at Baileys ads, and they state that the weights is the same 14.75 lbs for both versions.
I simply don't believe that is true, even though both have the high air filter......

Last edited:
Had my 385 out for the second time today. Went thru a 30" elm like it was nothing. Granted I am comparing it to an Echo 650 which is about 2/3 the size. Weight didn't bother me that much but, I did have wheaties for breakfast. Do need to get larger dogs for it.

Magnum783 said:
Is a 575 a bad option to throw into the mix then?
I would say thar the jury is still out on that one, but my personal impression (from what I have read - never used one) is that it is not a worthy replacement for the 372. It is heavier, and reportedly slower, in spite of a slightly higher power rating.

I decided that I needed to get a 372 before they all disappeared.......:biggrinbounce2:

Last edited:
Back