372xp advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jpelaston

jpelaston

Hi all,

Long time lurker and I am about to add a 70cc class saw to my stable. I have found a 372 at a local dealer that has had new crank bearings, seals, aftermarket top end and cylinder, and new 25" B&C. The shop is asking $500 for it. It's a 2000 non x torq model. I'm looking for advice as to whether this is a good deal or if someone has a lead on a better deal. The saw has a couple bumps and dings but nothing broken.

Thanks
J

Spring1898

Spring1898

ArboristSite Operative
What the others have said.
If it was $300-$350 maybe, but you could find a nicer saw here for the same or less money from a reputable builder/rebuilder. I found my 70cc after hunting around here for a week.
There are also Husky 365, jonsered 2165 and jonsered 2171 in the same range.
From the White and Orange camp there is 044, and 440, and 441

barton174

barton174

ArboristSite Guru
Yeah, that's high. I paid $325 for my OEM 371XP several years ago, and just paid $200 (Well, $275 by the time I had my buddy go pick it up and ship it to me) for a 2015 model 2166 that looks to be really clean. I'd pay up to $400 for a semi-clean, all-OEM-parts 371 or early 372. My personal opinion, even if it's in good cosmetic shape, if it's that age and has a non-OEM top end on it, that's maybe a $350 saw to me.

Mike

jpelaston

jpelaston

All good info guys. That 562 posted above is tempting but I was hoping for a 70+cc saw that can run a 24" B&C well. Will that 562 be able to do that?

I currently have a 346xp OE that I am using to drop and buck the smaller ash that are dead in my woods and would like the bigger saw to work the larger end of the spectrum. I have more than a few that are over 30" and nearing 40" in diameter.

I personally would love a Dolmar 7300 or larger but with only one dealer in my area that I know of, and my budget, finding a used one is near impossible.

Spring1898

Spring1898

ArboristSite Operative
My thought is that would probably be the longest you would want to practically run on a 60cc.
But if you already have a 50cc saw, I would wait for a 70cc or above.

Woodhacker69

Woodhacker69

ArboristSite Lurker
As everyone else has said. Price is high. I found a 365 special that I put a big bore kit on. If I'm not mistaken the same cylinder and cylinder assembly that is found the xpw ,which is about 75ccs. I modded the muffler and tuned it in and honestly one of best purchases I have made. I don't know what sites you use but I run across 365s to 372s all day long on Craigslist. Hell a majority of people who own those types of saws don't even use them but a couple times a year. I live on the east coast in va. Depending upon the brand you get in the cylinder assemblies, it can be fairly cheap or can be rather expensive. I went with the hutzle aftermarket assembly and so far so good. I will be putting it to the test with in the next week. I have another 372 that i have had for some time and I will tell you I absolutely love the saw. It's a work horse. I wish you the best of luck and I can assure you the 372 will be one of your favorite saws if not the best one you have. I have only used huskys so to be honest I'm sure the stihl guys could point you in the right direction as well.

jpelaston

jpelaston

Thank you all for the advice. I went way off the rails and bought an echo CS-680 from a local dealer and like it so far. Now to get better at filing my chains. Think I screwed the one on the echo up. It was far better new than after I touched it up.

Woodhacker69

Woodhacker69

ArboristSite Lurker
Screenshot_20161014-205050.png Honestly I use a dremel with an attachment. I'm sure Walmart has them in stock. It's just a sharpening stone. It takes alot less effort. What type of chain are you using? Full chisel, or semi chisel? Semi I find works alot better on the dirty wood.

Latest posts